Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So checked all fuses. And wiring. Etc. I have been tryit to fix this off and on for a year. Stereo installer or po screwed it up. Idk. It went out shortly after I got the jeep. I have done a ton of research and checked every single fuse because apparently it can be related to the parking lamps as well because they run off the same fuse. Idk. But I checked all the fuses and even swapped them. Nothing. I got inside again. And found a loose ground I didn't know about before. So got that to contact. Found what appears to be a ground coming from instrument panel. Attached that. Found 4 wires total not attached to anything in and around the radio wiring. Two black. One orange. And one blue and white. Orange reads dash illumination. Hmmmm. Can I just power this wire ?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics. I have more. Can't get them I upload ATM.

Attachments

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so I have continuity and power through the orange "dash I'll" wire to the black wire coming out if wiring harness for stereo. Only when stereo and antenna are plugged in. And when accessory or jeep is on. Radio won't work when antenna is unplugged. Could my antenna be grounding out somewhere causing a short for my dash illumination? Something weird there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are those wires for the oem strereo? I think I saw those colors today when I had mone apart.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dutch169 said:
Are those wires for the oem strereo? I think I saw those colors today when I had mone apart.
Yes. But the orange says dash illumination on it. My stereo works so idk what I needed Em for.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I put an aftermarket radio in mine. If I turn the dash down it doesn't dim. I had a bunch of wires left over when I hooked it up.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I believe orange is the standard for illuminate. Could be yellow. It's been a while.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My aux power and cig lighter don't work. Have tried and tried to find the problem but can't. It worked before I swapped out my dash and worked right after I swapped it out. Then it went kapaut. My fog lights went out and I found it was my dash illumination fuse.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
OP

I can't recall. Have you pulled the instrument cluster and checked power to the cluster?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barmanvarn said:
OP

I can't recall. Have you pulled the instrument cluster and checked power to the cluster?
Not yet. Too much work and it's too cold ad gets dark early this time of year. Haha. I have power from the black. Through the orange (illumination) so. Something other than the wiring must be out. So I need to look into the wiring at the cluster. I guess I'll have to pull it out later this week.

Everything else works fine as far as wiring.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dutch169 said:
My aux power and cig lighter don't work. Have tried and tried to find the problem but can't. It worked before I swapped out my dash and worked right after I swapped it out. Then it went kapaut. My fog lights went out and I found it was my dash illumination fuse.
Sounds like some mixed up wiring to me. Between the op and my brother installing a sub a few years back. Who knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts