Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of my dash lights and my lighter do not work. The display above the steering wheel with the brake light and shift indicator and what not work but nothing else. Fuses look fine, think its could simply all the bulbs blew? Or something deeper? I've read somewhere about card behind the dash that gets corroded if wet and loses contact, could anyone verify that?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The magic instrument panel ribbon connector yes it gets dirty from old age and then the contacts lose the connection. So if the fuses are good just remove the instrument clluster and check it out. If you have a working clock disconnect the battery first so you don't short it out. Once you get it out you can test the bulbs and start to clean all the connections. Takes about an hour.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good to know! I have the same problem, and just haven't had time to dig into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took everything apart changed all the bulbs and cleaned all the contact points and still no light. I did find a disconnected auto start while digging through the wires and harnesses trying to find a loose connection. I removed most of the auto start and repaired the wires where it was tied in but ran out of time. Do you think something with this auto start could be causing the light problem? I could hear the switch opening and closing the circuit to send power

·
Registered
635 Posts
What year YJ? (Fill out your profile) The dashes changed in 91. Are all the lights out or is it the speedo/tach section only? Your gauges illuminated?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried to edit my profile but I guess I have to use the computer for that? It won't let me go any further with my phone. I figured I'd paint the dash while I had it out for the tenth time!!!

image-3335965707.jpg

I'm goin to switch the bulbs out to LEDS, these aren't bright enough

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts