Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the Billet Waiting Room for awhile...but took delivery on Halloween. A couple of people in that room were wanting info and photos of the dash overlay I put in yesterday...so I thought I'd start a thread for it. I've installed dash overlays in my last 3 or 4 vehicles and could not be happier with the material. It NEVER comes loose...looks better than the OEM material...and is much tougher and easier to clean then the OEM materials. A little Pledge on a paper towel and it looks like new...no matter how many times you've had the top off and been out on the dusty, dirty trails. (No, I'm not a dash overlay salesman).

Even with the black/dark saddle, there's way too much black for me in the JK interior. The overlay brightens things up. I had a carbon fiber dash overlay in the '03 Rubicon I just sold.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And by the way, the kit came with 74 pieces. I only used 30 of them...using all 74 would have been overkill.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Moabite said:
I've been in the Billet Waiting Room for awhile...but took delivery on Halloween. A couple of people in that room were wanting info and photos of the dash overlay I put in yesterday...so I thought I'd start a thread for it. I've installed dash overlays in my last 3 or 4 vehicles and could not be happier with the material. It NEVER comes loose...looks better than the OEM material...and is much tougher and easier to clean then the OEM materials. A little Pledge on a paper towel and it looks like new...no matter how many times you've had the top off and been out on the dusty, dirty trails. (No, I'm not a dash overlay salesman).

Even with the black/dark saddle, there's way too much black for me in the JK interior. The overlay brightens things up. I had a carbon fiber dash overlay in the '03 Rubicon I just sold.
Looks great. Where did you get kit? I would like color matched carbon fiber for mine.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great. Where did you get kit? I would like color matched carbon fiber for mine.
From one of my posts in the Billet room: The dash kits I used in the past were from ExoticWoodDash and WoodDashExperts. When I click on the old link for the latter, it comes up as CarID.com...not sure if they were bought out or just expanded their product line. Anyway, the kit I ordered this time around was made by Remin and made in the good ol' USA. There is a good write up about the specs and quality on the website.

And they have several different colors of carbon fiber, if I remember right. I had black carbon fiber in my '03, and have a much lighter silver carbon fiber in my '08 Tundra. They have numerous wood patterns and colors...some light, some dark.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Subscribed. Can't say the wood grain is for me, but one of the "metal" ones might fit the bill. Was the "silver" one you mentioned a "brushed aluminum" type, Moabite?

I might want to see something like that in person before throwing down the $$.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I had a kit like this in my 1994 Saab 900s and loved it - but I was 22 then. I'd like to see the carbon fiber in a JK, however.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which install did you like the best or where they all about the same?

Do you favor one vendor over another?

Any installation tips for a first timer?
The installs have all been about the same. It seems that both the previous vendors are out of business...or bought out by CarID. The old link on my computer for WoodDashExperts now takes me to CarID.com. I ordered 2 adhesive promoter pens from them and only got one though. I called them several weeks ago to get the second, and never got it. However, one pen turned out to be enough. I will call again for a refund on the 2nd pen.

As for installation, you just need to make sure the dash and kit are fairly warm and perfectly clean. Use the alcohol wipes included in the kits or any bottle of isopropyl alcohol. If you've ever used anything like armorall on the dash, all traces of it need to be cleaned off.

I always use the adhesive promoter, especially on pieces that go around convex curves. Pre-fit all the pieces before removing the backing. Pre-plan exactly how you will attach every piece. It is somewhat difficult (but not impossible) to move the pieces once any part of the adhesive has made contact with the dash...so work slowly and carefully. It took me about 7 hours to install the 30 pieces. Start with smaller, less conspicuous pieces first to get the hang of it...like the back doors.

The large piece at the top center of the dash was the most critical and the most difficult. Before I removed the backing, I pre-fit it several times, planning exactly which section would make contact with the dash first. After getting comfortable with the sequence, I removed the backing from the lower half of that piece and lined it up along the horizontal bottom edge of the radio...then carefully attached the lower part working downward from the lower edge of the radio. I then removed the backing from the very thin section that borders both sides of the radio...and pulled upward to make sure those sections were perfectly straight and then gently laid the piece along the upper horizontal edge of the radio...working upward from that point. As long as you don't press on the overlay, you can still position the pieces. Once you have positioned a piece and pressed hard on it to make it stick, you will not get it off again.

After the install is completed, remove any traces of adhesive from the overlay that you might have transferred onto the surface...then wipe it down with Pledge...polishing it with a clean cloth just as you would an exterior wax job. It will be as smooth as glass and just as shiny.

Fairly decent instructions come with the kit.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subscribed. Can't say the wood grain is for me, but one of the "metal" ones might fit the bill. Was the "silver" one you mentioned a "brushed aluminum" type, Moabite?

I might want to see something like that in person before throwing down the $$.
The overlay in my Tundra is the Silver Wire Carbon Fiber.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wood Dash Kits from CARiD.com

Hit up your year, make, etc.

Once you pick a kit you like, if you click on "materials" it will show colors/materials available for that manufacturer.

These look to have a gloss sheen. I'm looking for something more matte than the pics show, but its hard to tell.
All the kits I've seen and used have a very glossy sheen.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which ones did you not use? Just curious.
The pieces I did not use were mostly small pieces. There were more pieces for the door latches, steering wheel, parking brake lever, air vents, and a bunch of small pieces for the radio that looked like crap with control functions stenciled on them in blurry white letters (first time I'd ever seen that in a kit). There is also a medium-sized piece for the dash just above the climate controls...may still install that. And there are some pieces for the cup holders on the back of the console that I did not yet install because they may not be visible since I will rarely have the back seat up. I may change my mind about the round pieces that cover the center moveable part of each air vent...but probably not. There is already a thin ring around each vent that looks really nice.

Later today, I will post a pic of some of the leftover pieces and the way they are packaged from the factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vent Trim pieces

I was wondering what the air vent rings looked like. The main point of my interest in looking for an interior trim kit was to get rid of the silver vent ring trim in my stock 13 JKUR. I loved the piano black trim pieces in the Altitude edition jeeps but it seems Jeep/Mopar does not offer these in gloss black.

Can you add any comments on these trim rings.

I don't know if I should just remove them and have them painted myself?

Thanks a ton.

I do want to buy the kit for some other trim pieces for the center console etc.

The pieces I did not use were mostly small pieces. There were more pieces for the door latches, steering wheel, parking brake lever, air vents, and a bunch of small pieces for the radio that looked like crap with control functions stenciled on them in blurry white letters (first time I'd ever seen that in a kit). There is also a medium-sized piece for the dash just above the climate controls...may still install that. And there are some pieces for the cup holders on the back of the console that I did not yet install because they may not be visible since I will rarely have the back seat up. I may change my mind about the round pieces that cover the center moveable part of each air vent...but probably not. There is already a thin ring around each vent that looks really nice.

Later today, I will post a pic of some of the leftover pieces and the way they are packaged from the factory.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts