Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 YJ and are the dash speakers 4"x6".

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just pulled mine out yesterday and they are 4x6's. Installed Infinity Kapa's back in and did that ever help the up front sound.

cb

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Any aftermarket speaker will improve the sound output, though it does take some form of enclosure to create a filled spectrum of sound.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Only thing about the dash speakers that I don't like, is their being out in the open.. Some sort of wire grill would be nice to keep debris or mud or splashes off the cones. Seems a 'double' grill would be nice.

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
If you're thinking of doing an upgrade to your speakers, and you're pulling your dash out, you could also switch to 5 1/4" speakers. I don't know a whole lot about the physics of car audio, but the idea is that oval shapes aren't as good/efficient at producing pr pushing sound waves as circle shapes are. So, replace 4x6 with 5 1/4 and replace 6x9 with 6 1/2 when you can.

eBay has some brackets if you're wanting to go this route while you have your dash apart:

4x6" to 5 25" Jeep Front Dash Aftermarket Speaker Adapter Bracket Spacer Plate | eBay

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Unless you're running your speakers at their rated limits, then oval speakers work just as well, if not better, for producing bass levels.

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
Unless you're running your speakers at their rated limits, then oval speakers work just as well, if not better, for producing bass levels.
Would you run a 4x6 for bass, or for clarity?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I cut a piece of window screen larger than the opening and created notches at the mounting pins. Hopefully this helps to keep the mud out.

Considered cheesecloth as well as felt, but didn't want to have to replace it should it rip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Landscape fabric works well for a grill screen. It's a lot closer knit that regular screen and normally come black.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you're thinking of doing an upgrade to your speakers, and you're pulling your dash out, you could also switch to 5 1/4" speakers. I don't know a whole lot about the physics of car audio, but the idea is that oval shapes aren't as good/efficient at producing pr pushing sound waves as circle shapes are. So, replace 4x6 with 5 1/4 and replace 6x9 with 6 1/2 when you can.

eBay has some brackets if you're wanting to go this route while you have your dash apart:

4x6" to 5 25" Jeep Front Dash Aftermarket Speaker Adapter Bracket Spacer Plate | eBay

When I talked about pulling my dash out I didn't take the whole dash out. I was able to move the side out about 3 to 4 inches after lowering the wind shield and removing at least 30 small screws. It was just enough room to be able to get the speakers in and out but not enough room to do modifications. A set of small hands would of helped a lot. I can't imagine what it would take to get 5 1/4" speakers and adapter brackets in there unless you had the dash completely removed or at least torn down a lot more than I did.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Would you run a 4x6 for bass, or for clarity?
How is it setup? Through the head unit, or with an amp? With an enclosure, or in the open?

I am going to put 4x6 speakers back into the factory location on my Jeep eventually. I know how much space there is behind there, and a 5.25 will barely fit, not to mention the fact that a 4x6 speaker is technically a larger speaker.

There are a lot of Toyotas that use a 6x9 subwoofer cone for the bassline rather than a combined speaker- they use a separate tweeter or highs. The bassline they put out is quite a bit.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Removing mine. WIll be making them into heater vents. I like my feet warm, but also like a little heat directed at the rest of my body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts