Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for switches that would fit in the knockouts of this dash switch panel? Mine has several empty slots and I'd really like to put a couple of switches there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
unfortunately not possible to convert those empty spots to new switches. If you need a new switch you will have to mount one somewhere else

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is that? Can that panel not be removed or accessed? Are there no empty spaces behind the blanks?

I'm wondering about the empty slots on both the far left and right sides that would normally house the seat heater switches. I don't have those and was thinking of removing or cutting out those blanks and putting switches for lights there. Would be nice if there is a standard rectangular switch housing that would clip into that space.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no room behind them because there's a circuit board that runs the length of the switch panel.
Thanks, I never would have suspected that!

Looks like the fully populated switch panel is P/N 04602993AC.

Apparently the switches themselves are just momentary contact, I might order a panel just to see if I can modify the PCB traces for take-off points that I could then feed into a small toggle on/toggle off circuit board with relays.

Can you tell I'd really like to make use of several switches there? :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The PCB there is hard wired for the switches to connect to the CANBUS. I seem to remember that one forum member made a custom PC board, but unless you have a background in circuit design I'm not sure you want to go that route.

·
Commercial Member
612 Posts
Thanks, I never would have suspected that! Looks like the fully populated switch panel is P/N 04602993AC. Apparently the switches themselves are just momentary contact, I might order a panel just to see if I can modify the PCB traces for take-off points that I could then feed into a small toggle on/toggle off circuit board with relays. Can you tell I'd really like to make use of several switches there? :)
If you dig around on Google, someone on one of the boards did just what you're asking with small tactile switches. Let me see if I can find the thread....

Lol it was actually here!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/oem-dash-panel-buttons-switches-209938.html

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the posts that you linked to shows a photo of the actual PCB. I currently have a 3-gang switch panel (they don't count the center Hazard in the parts configuration) and if I buy a 7-gang panel that will give me 4 extra sets of switch contacts.

If I cut the copper trace to the membrane contacts (those areas that look like zig-zag copper) and solder a small wiring harness to the solder pads of the membrane contacts, those switches will still serve the same function thru my wiring harness and the CANBUS knows no difference since those membrane contacts are in a normally open state by default.

My wiring harness could then be brought over to my own little PCB that accepts 4 sets of momentary on/momentary off signals and converts them to latched on/latched off signals for lighting relays, etc.

For a garage door opener that only requires a momentary contact, no additional circuitry would be required.

I'll need to investigate if the additional switches have state indicators (lit when "on") and how to preserve them, but one challenge left would be the switch graphics themselves. Obviously, pushing a switch labeled for heated seat wouldn't make sense for spot lights so I'd want to see about a nice graphic overlay.

In short, I think this can be done.

·
Registered
255 Posts
For a garage door opener that only requires a momentary contact, no additional circuitry would be required.

....but one challenge left would be the switch graphics themselves. Obviously, pushing a switch labeled for heated seat wouldn't make sense for spot lights so I'd want to see about a nice graphic overlay.

In short, I think this can be done.
I don't want a graphic. My Jeep sleeps outside (the M3's on my side of the garage) and I'd like it to be left blank to prevent anyone from knowing it's there.

·
Commercial Member
612 Posts
Glad I could help here.

If I was interested in utilizing those blanks, I would totally try given the things I've taken apart so far on my 2015. I've changed all the interior LED's to cool white, including the "impossible" mirror map lights. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Seems like it might be easier to just install the 7 gang switch pod, then build a "smart" relay box that monitors the CAN bus and triggers the correct relay?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, I've laid out and etched PC boards before so this would be fun. And if I can do them in quantity.............. ;)
I think your idea has merit.
The layout may be a challenge but that would be half the fun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like it might be easier to just install the 7 gang switch pod, then build a "smart" relay box that monitors the CAN bus and triggers the correct relay?
I love that idea but would need to educate myself on tapping into the CAN bus.

·
Registered
938 Posts
just been thinking about this some more...
might be best to just redo the whole control board for the ganged switches...
use a little PIC micro controller to monitor switch presses and then either send out stock CAN bus massages to the stock system or custom messages to our own relay box, turn on or off the indicators as needed etc...

it could all be custom setup to react to button presses how ever we want... press the seat heater button once it turns on the seat heater, press again it turns off, press three times in a row it activates the ejection seats...
well, that may be a bad example, but still, I am sure we could come up with some interesting and useful things if we had complete control over custom and stock and mix and matching of the buttons...

have like a little rs-232 debug port on it somewhere and smart enough firmware so that the end user could "program" button one to do this, button 2 does that, etc...

it wouldn't be that hard I don't think? I am guessing (based on no actual research) the CAN is just another flavor of I2C (or maybe SPI?) since all those new fangled bus seem to be based of I2C these days... so that should be simple enough to do?

there are a lot of smart people here with a wide range of backgrounds, I am sure if a bunch of us came together and treated kinda sorta like an open source type project we could do something amazing...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Or, you could just do an A-Pillar Group.

:happyyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
there are a lot of smart people here with a wide range of backgrounds, I am sure if a bunch of us came together and treated kinda sorta like an open source type project we could do something amazing...
I don't have the skills to help. But would be a purchaser of the mod! I think the a-pillar/spods are ok, but I much prefer a stock/clean look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You absolutely can use the blank switches to put a custom control on. I put a bass knob inside the unused button to control my sub. It wasn't the easiest thing but the most I can do in electronics is basic audio but I made it work. There was no circuit board in the way just rubber/plastic that I got rid of that didnt do anything.
Heres a very bad picture taken of it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts