Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to overhaul my dash now that I have it completely pulled apart to rewire some things. My TJ was originally dark blue with tan interior. I’ve stripped everything out and basically the only tan left is the actual dash and door panels. My thoughts are to either swap to a grey dash out of a wreck or paint it black.

Has anyone used paint with good results? What kind, what prep etc? Black would match my seats and bedliner interior much better than a gray dash and be cheaper.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks really sharp! I’m looking to do everything black, but the only thing I’m worried about is preserving the grain of the dash and parts. My airbag cover is really nasty and sticky due to years of UV damage and armor all (I’m sure). Do I need to sand down the surfaces like I’m used to or will this stuff stick as long as it’s surgical clean?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I painted my khaki interior black with SEM products. I used the whole line up of soap, plastic prep, adhesion promoter and paint. It turned out great.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SEM - I’m going to have to look into that. Salvage TJ parts around here are priced like diamonds so it would end up costing me hundreds of dollars and it still wouldn’t be a match to what I want.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had someone suggest spray bedliner material for the dash. I used that for the inside of the tub and it’s been really good. But on a plastic dash?

·
Registered
651 Posts
My interior was spice when I got my 97 TJ.
As you can see, I've done a little custom work on it.
I wrapped the dash with Alcantara suede and added the billet accessories, no reason it has to look boring as stock.
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG

Reactions: NDWillys
1 - 9 of 9 Posts