Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I got a 8y yj and the dash pad an cluster is alil scratched up... I have to remove it all to replace some rust spots behind it… while I had it all broke down I wanted to fix up the dash pad, cluster, glove box ect.... $$ is kinda tight and I was wondering what I could do to spiff it up a bit and not spent a lot of $$... Any ideas, pics or input would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks, Chad

Jeep Naked👅

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Some folks have used spray paints for that purpose to change the color of their dash and have had some very good results. Krylon and one other brand make specific paints for dashboaards I am sure fi you throw something into google you could find them and that woould be a way to take care of the scratches.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
my uncle just finished sewing up a full leather soft top for a sidekick, and the guy asked him to wrap the dash pad in deerskin. No clue how it's going to turn out, but it sounded like a pretty good idea when he told me about it ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Krylon or even duplicolor has awesome spray paints that can take care of this with minimal prep work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Like other said krylon fusion is made for plastics. It takes forever to dry and has a flex additive in it to help it flex like the plastic. That being said, it's super easy to scratch if you try to install it too soon. Just FYI. Also if you can find some type of "all plastic adhesion promotor" I would recommend something like that before paint is applied. We just recently did some half tj doors at work. The owner wanted the door cards changed from spice(tan) to camel (dark tan). The guy (non paint shop) who did them, didn't use adhesion promotor. the next day the paint pealed off, like glue off your hand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dash pad is not looking good either..... wondered what others did cause I can't seem to find a replacement online anywhere except for used ones that are probably not much better than mine.

Has anyone tried to do a rehab using fiberglass over the old pad??

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. If you follow the instuctions and prepr it right, it looks factory. I went from a faded nasty looking spice to black.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks guys I'm gonna try the rattle can with some adhesive promoter .... Thanks for the replies .. This site is awesome..

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

If you are using the krylon fusion, do not use the adhesion promoter. I did once and it came out horrible. had to strip it all off and go again. Krylon fusion is made to go straight on plastic without any promoter. Just clean really good with soap/water first....

·
Registered
541 Posts
meili34 said:
Sort of. It's a 3M sheet that comes in a bunch of patterns...mossy oak being one. I used obsession. Next I'm gonna do the ceiling of my hard top :)
Where'd you get the sheets?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts