Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've grown very tired of my guages showing improper levels and sometimes nothing at all. I've read a few threads here about custom guages and dash panals. Nice, but, my '91 YJ, 4.0, 5 sp, isn't a showpiece. I tend to like the old '60's style of individual guages in their own bezels, maybe 3 in one. I've looked and found a few different guages and panals that I like, but, need to know the impedence values for the gas guage, and other values for oil pressure and water temp. Any help would be gladly accepted, thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had the same situation when I bought my 87. I liked the stock look of the dash but Im so anal I had to have everything to working perfectly. When I picked it up three of the five gauges didn't work at all. After reading a ton of these threads I convinced myself that it was possible to bring everything back to original working order with a little time and effort. After tinkering, cleaning, sanding, polishing and replacing the circuit board behind the gauges and two sending units......Shazam! Everything works perfectly including the 26 year old clock. Here is a picture of my dash with the jeep running at 800 RPM. It can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
auto meter and several others have guages that will be direct replacements plus you can get a gps module for your speedo so its always right with what ever tires or gears you choose to run

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like your floor mats! They kinda look like my BFG A/T treads.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I like your floor mats! They kinda look like my BFG A/T treads.
Thanks Peter. They are BESTOP mats and I love them. Fantastic construction. One of those few aftermarket adds that end up actually being better than you originally thought.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i did a write up last year how to make all gauges work. all of mine work perfectly.
i think the write up i did was called "how i fixed all my gauges"
Your write up and one other happen to my inspiration to get everything working perfectly. I tried to clean up the circuit board but it was a tad far gone with breaks in the copper which I didn't have the skill to solder. A new board brought everything back to perfect working status. BTW your build was really high end.

·
RUBISEAN
464 Posts
Your write up and one other happen to my inspiration to get everything working perfectly. I tried to clean up the circuit board but it was a tad far gone with breaks in the copper which I didn't have the skill to solder. A new board brought everything back to perfect working status. BTW your build was really high end.
thank you, i appreciate the compliment

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Where did you get a new board? I was able to get everything working but the clock but I don't have faith that they're accurate.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Where did you get a new board? I was able to get everything working but the clock but I don't have faith that they're accurate.
Having all four gauges working except for the clock is pretty good for starters. Here is the link for the circut board I replaced from Morris 4x4. Gauge Cluster Circuit Board CB-1. Before you spend the money just to get the clock working, exactly what are the current readings at normal operating temperature that you don't think are accurate?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same situation when I bought my 87. I liked the stock look of the dash but Im so anal I had to have everything to working perfectly. When I picked it up three of the five gauges didn't work at all. After reading a ton of these threads I convinced myself that it was possible to bring everything back to original working order with a little time and effort. After tinkering, cleaning, sanding, polishing and replacing the circuit board behind the gauges and two sending units......Shazam! Everything works perfectly including the 26 year old clock. Here is a picture of my dash with the jeep running at 800 RPM. It can be done.
I found a new circuit board and will try it with mine also. Hope i can get it looking so nice like yours.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Having all four gauges working except for the clock is pretty good for starters. Here is the link for the circut board I replaced from Morris 4x4. Gauge Cluster Circuit Board CB-1. Before you spend the money just to get the clock working, exactly what are the current readings at normal operating temperature that you don't think are accurate?
It's not that I distrust the current readings, I just worry that if there was a problem with temp or oil pressure that they would register correctly. Probably unfounded if they seem to be correct. You're right about $90 being a bit much to spend just to get a working clock, but once I finish getting everything more pressing fixed, I may do it just to have it new and not 23 years old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts