Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there are a variety of lesser expensive dashcam's. However, a GoPro could potentially be more versatile. Do you use one and if so, which and why?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a DashCam, the blackvue cams are pretty good. If you want to record video while offloading and then save or share it, the GoPro is probably a better approach.

I see that there are a variety of lesser expensive dashcam's. However, a GoPro could potentially be more versatile. Do you use one and if so, which and why?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I do not have or use either.
Seems to me go pro is more versatile - you can use it for just about every thing. The quality of the film and the way people are using them- on drones, dogs, surf boards, boats, cars, planes. It makes better films than any dash cam . If you can afford it get go pro if not then save till you do.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Any cam will work. The benefit of the GoPro is it's rugged and waterproof and it's got solid replacement part and accessory support both from GoPro and the aftermarket. The best part is the housings. Those will take a beating, the scratches, the drops, etc. and the camera is protected. Housings are cheap, cameras are not.

If it's going to just sit on the dash and take trail vids, then get what you can afford. If it's going to ride under or on top of the Jeep, on the bumper, in the wheel wheels, etc., the GoPro is worth the money.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got a gopro4 that I use with a RAM suction mount on the jeep, very happy with it. Be advised if you get a gopro they're like buying a jeep, in a few months you'll have so many accessories you won't be able to count them...love the quadcopter though.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use my gopro (first gen hero) as a dashcam. There are some definite benefits to a regular dashcam if you're going to run it all the time...convenience, power, and recording options, basically. Auto-rewrite is a great feature, as is 12v power. I also don't want to leave a gopro in plain sight, whereas a >$100 dashcam wouldn't be as big a deal.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use a go pro 3 for all my offshore kayak fishing. On the wind shields of my tj and both trucks i use a cheap chinese camera that turns on when you start vehicle. But works well. They record front and back with time and gps. Sure helps disputes with johnny law, who can and will lie to extort your hard earned dollars, but thats another thread.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use Daily Roads Voyager app (free) on my old HTC One in a windshield mount. 32 Gig of space, and it acts like a dashcam (overwrites files unless I save them) or a GoPro if I tell it to save 32 Gig worth of video.

Most times I just use my Note 4 and Daily Roads Voyager because I have it up there for Google maps, Pandora, and charging.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got an ojocam because it was tiny. It sits just behind the rearview mirror and you can barely see it from the inside. Having a soft top vehicle that you can just unzip to get into if you really wanted to, something small that I can take with me was important. This is small and the base that mounts to the windshield takes power, so you don't need to unplug it each time from the camera to take it with you.

http://www.amazon.com/Ojocam-Pro2-Plus-G-sensor-Memory/dp/B00KVLN9MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430760986&sr=8-2&keywords=ojocam

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a Gopro Hero 4 and love it! I've never used the dash cams but would definitely recommend investing in a Gopro. The versatility and video quality is simply amazing!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a sports action cam (Contour HD) on my motorcycle and spent the coin for it over a regular camera because it needs to be rugged since it's exposed to the elements. Inside the JKU, I have a Sony DSC-WX220 18.1mp digital camera that takes 1080p/60fps video; I spent $150 on it new at Best Buy. I just have it tucked up in front of the rearview mirror on a suction cup mount (it's super tiny). I did this because (A) it's much cheaper than a GoPro or any other decent action cam, (B) I don't need it to be rugged because it's not exposed to the outside elements, (C) I can pull it off and use it as a nice 18.1mp still camera while travelling so I'm never without a camera and (D) it's way cheaper than any action cam that takes comparable video so if it gets snatched while I'm out with the top off, it's not a super huge deal.

If you're not exposing it to the elements (i.e. mounting it to be body, hood or bumper) then you're wasting your money IMHO. Get a nice digital camera that takes 1080p/60fps video, a suction cup mount with the standard threaded camera post, a spare battery or two and a 16-32gm class 10 SDHC card and tuck those someone on your windshield for a lot less than a new GoPro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wanted a dashcam to protect my JK from idiot drivers. I also wanted something relatively cheap. I was originally going to get a G1W model because it is a very commonly recommended dashcam.

When I went to buy one I ran across another dashcam I liked much more called the A118 because of its form factor. And it was only $20 more and seemed to be a little better than the G1w.

And it worked perfect for my JK mounted on the plastic windshield trim above the rearview mirror. (for those who do NOT have the jeep grill emblem on the windshield in that spot). Note: the dashcam is supposed to be mounted on the windshield itself, but works better for me on the trim piece.

I shoudl point out that there is an A118 model that has a capacitor instead of a battery. Better suited for hotter climates (capacitors wont explode like batteries sometimes do in high heat). Called the A118C. There is also a high end model called the Street Guardian sg9665gm that comes with more accessories (including a memory card and GPS module). The street guardian also has a MUCH better night vision capability.

The only problem I had with my A118 was that it had a firmware glitch that wouldnt allow me to use the Fast forward button, but a firmware update fixed that completely. Also... it can be a bit finicky with what brand microSD card you use. People say the samsung cards work well. I have used two so far and had no problems... a PNY 16GB class 10 and a Transcend 16GB class 10.

Dashcamtalk.com is a great resource when comparing dashcams and they have dashcam-brand-specific forums.

Note: about the g1w model dashcams (if you go that route).... there are a TON of counterfeits being sold on ebay since it is so popular. I would only buy from a reputable online business... not ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts