Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2021 Willys JL wrangler, and I’m on day 2 of driving it. ...my low back already hurts very much. This is my dream car so needless to say I am devastated. And it is a lease to make things worse. I do not have any major back problems; beside some slight instability in the lower spine, but before this car I haven’t felt any pain in years.
Does anyone have any ideas ? I don’t think it is so much the seat though I’m sure more support and cushion would help, though it’s the bumpy ride that I think is sort of making the spine jam or become unstable while driving it... again, breaks my heart. I’m hoping maybe a “suspension seat” could help? Though I don’t know what that is or even if it is possible to replace in my 2021 wrangler.
If anyone has any thoughts, please respond :) thanks guys and gals.

since this is a lease, I have to make this work... and it is my dream car. Ugh. Devastated. Any insights are warmly welcomed! Thanks fam!

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Have you checked tire pressures? Jeep dealers love to overinflate tires. Factory recommended is 36 PSI.

Otherwise, play with the seat height adjustment. Your seating position might be placing unwanted pressure on your lower back. The lever on the side rises and lowers the seat cushion.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Adjust your seat, both the bottom part closer or further from the wheel, and raise the back a bit. Comfort in a Jeep generally comes from a more upright seating position, similar almost to how you would sit in a wooden chair.
And if an auto, get a dead pedal, unless by some miracle Jeep finally started installing them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked tire pressures? Jeep dealers love to overinflate tires. Factory recommended is 36 PSI.

Otherwise, play with the seat height adjustment. Your seating position might be placing unwanted pressure on your lower back. The lever in the side rises and lowers the seat cushion.
View attachment 4514295
Thank you for your reply! ... I have not looked at tired pressures but the way it drives sure does feel like that could be one of the contributing factors. I’ve never had an issue with riding in a jeep before!

... I noticed those levers and I haven’t really tried different positions yet, though I do sit extremely upright with my butt wedged into where the seat and back meet. I will try these out and report back. Many thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adjust your seat, both the bottom part closer or further from the wheel, and raise the back a bit. Comfort in a Jeep generally comes from a more upright seating position, similar almost to how you would sit in a wooden chair.
And if an auto, get a dead pedal, unless by some miracle Jeep finally started installing them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! ... I need to really try different seating positions more diligently and give them a shot. I think a dead pedal would be a great call. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Otherwise, play with the seat height adjustment. Your seating position might be placing unwanted pressure on your lower back. The lever on the side rises and lowers the seat cushion.
View attachment 4514295
Soooo.. I just went out and checked... every tire is at 44 PSI. I am very hopeful! ... I will let you know how 36 goes on the road tomorrow, and thanks so much, again!!

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
You are going to trigger the TPMS warning if you go below 35 PSI. You can lower the TPMS threshold with a programmer like Tazer Mini.

I’d take it one step at a time for the time being: bring it down to recommended pressure and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had back issues for decades. 2 surgeries. While your discomfort may be related to the jeep, I would also contemplate what you did the day before and the day of (prior to getting into tbe Willys). You may have screwed up something (lifted something, bent over the wrong way, went for a jog, my surgeon told me it can be something as simple as picking up a paper clip from the floor). If that is the case - you may have issues if you are sitting in any car. Hopefully, it gets better - but I would go slow before making any changes to the jeep. A test might be how you do driving in another car for the equivalent length of time and in equivalent conditions. I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would think that purchasing a Jeep Wrangler you would have to think that the ride is not going to be that of a full size crew cab pickup, all being said I have both and the Wrangler is not even close to the ride of my Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab PU. Wranglers are short wheelbase vehicles and made for off road use and comfort is just not something built into them, it just the nature of the beast. I would say that seat adjustment is probably your only option here, I doubt if tire pressure will change the basic ride that much, but maybe maybe a softer ride tire for highway use could help some, but I don't think it will do what you want it to do. I'm 76 years old and back pain has been around for 40 plus years and I've found that Ibuprofen works for me and does a good job for relief of back pain. Hope you fine something that will work, but don't expect a better ride from your Wrangler then pretty much from what you have now. It's a Jeep.

trainman

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Look up "seat adjustment" in the Owner Manual; then start using the various levers and knobs to see if there is a position that is comfortable for you. I am pretty sure you will be successful.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tire pressure will definitely help as will seat adjustments BUT a JL is never going to have a “smooth” ride-short wheelbase, stiff suspension. I love mine but you’d never call is a smooth riding vehicle. I’d try getting down to 32 psi or so. If that helps I’d look at getting the tpms reset to accommodate it. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are going to trigger the TPMS warning if you go below 35 PSI. You can lower the TPMS threshold with a programmer like Tazer Mini.
I’d take it one step at a time for the time being: bring it down to recommended pressure and go from there.
It's amazing the amount of misinformation on this site sometimes, I am running 33 PSI (down from 42 that the dealer had it running on) and there are ZERO TMPS errors, not sure where you get your information from, but I would check into it further.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
It's amazing the amount of misinformation on this site sometimes, I am running 33 PSI (down from 42 that the dealer had it running on) and there are ZERO TMPS errors, not sure where you get your information from, but I would check into it further.
Dude you need to chill.

My JL starts triggering TPMS warnings the moment PSI goes below 35. BTW: it is a warning, not an “error.”

If yours is not triggering a warning at 33 PSI, your TPMS threshold has been set lower, has been disabled, or it is not working.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
I feel for your issue, have one spot in my truck where if the seat isn’t adjusted just right, it pokes my love handle… But let’s be realistic - it’s a Jeep not a luxury yacht. The buckboard ride on the newer $60k+ Jeeps is exactly why I ended up NOT buying one for a daily driver. My TJ does a good job of relocating internal organs at will as is, and that’s with Corbeau seats too (which help out greatly with my own back issues).

Some vehicles just aren’t made out for certain folks. If it’s really intolerable you should have a certain period where you can take it back - as much as that would suck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dude you need to chill.My JL starts triggering TPMS warnings the moment PSI goes below 35. BTW: it is a warning, not an “error.”
If yours is not triggering a warning at 33 PSI, your TPMS threshold has been set lower, has been disabled, or it is not working.
🤐(n)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I returned earlier this week from a 3,000 mile RT from TX to WV for a graduation and had to constantly rotate the lumbar support knob and adjust the seat back position to manage back fatigue. It's the nature of the seating and ride characteristics. I even adjusted the steering a couple times to see if that helped.

What I found most useful was removing the thick wallet I was sitting on. And staying hydrated.

Tires are set at 33 cold which provides a nice ride. In respect to the comments on low tire pressure messages, I only get them when pressure reaches 28 psi or below in winter weather after parking overnight. It required reinflation to 37 to extinguish the tpms light at which time I can then decrease it back to my preferred pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts