Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short wait, I am picking up my new Gecko JKS tomorrow in South Louisiana. I ordered it back in mid-July, and it was delivered to the dealership while I was out of the country on vacation...then Hurricane Isaac rolled through (Jeep securely parked inside the showroom behind storm shutters), but I FINALLY get to drive down tomorrow and retrieve my new Jeep.:)

Here's my issue that I want help with. It's 308 miles from the dealership to home. The first 100 miles are on a divided highway with some starts and stops, the final "leg" is 200 miles of Interstate. I guess just drive it easy WITHOUT using the cruise? I know I'm not going to hurt it, but I want to be as good to it as I can considering the circumstances. If it is recommended that I don't do the Interstate, it is possible (and yet very time consuming) to bring it home on the backroads.

First new Jeep I have ever owned; my prior TJ had 75K on the clock when I bought it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just drive it! The engines are broken in at the factory. It's not like we're talking about old hot rod engines back in the 60's and early 70's that needed a specific break in style.

I have these same conversations on motorcycle forums because of the nonsense they print in the owners manual.

Drive the jeep and have fun!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Vary your speed (RPM), for the first 500 miles or so. I would limit the amount of time that I used the cruise control (if I used it at all). Other than that I've never done anything else during break-in.

If you're really anal (I am with my motorcycles), you can also change the oil after the first 500 miles if you want, but it isn't needed. This will remove most of the metal particles that may be floating around in your lubrication system after break-in.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Just drive it! The engines are broken in at the factory. It's not like we're talking about old hot rod engines back in the 60's and early 70's that needed a specific break in style.

I have these same conversations on motorcycle forums because of the nonsense they print in the owners manual.

Drive the jeep and have fun!
Pretty much this. The only thing I would add is that you are breaking in more than the engine. I would drive it for 15-20 minutes and then stop for a bite to eat to let the diffs cool down and check it for leaks. Then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Why fight the Owner's Manual?

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended
during break in period.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in."

In other words, forget fuel economy and drive it hard for the first couple hundred miles. Don't bounce it off the redline all day, but make sure you're going full throttle occasionally and loading the engine at various rpm's to ensure piston rings & valvetrain components seal properly. And if there are any major defects (i.e. defective driver side head), it will help bring them out sooner rather than later.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Floor it leaving the dealer parking lot. Even better if you do a burn out there before heading home. Then once on the interstate, drive it like its on fire. :whistling:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Floor it leaving the dealer parking lot. Even better if you do a burn out there before heading home. Then once on the interstate, drive it like its on fire. :whistling:
:punk: I woudn't do anything too special besides hit different RPMs and change the oil after 4 or 5 hundred miles when the pistons are really tight. It may have some metal shavings that arn't going to kill you, but its only a few bucks for a filter and some oil ,so why not?

It can be your first official "special time" with the jeep :rofl:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
, drive it like its on fire. :whistling:
You want him to pull over and jump out the window as soon as he reaches a safe speed? How will that help the break in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great thread, thanks for the input. My 2012 Rubicon is at 460miles and I'll make sure to include some of these suggestions.
Question: Where can I get a belt fed weapon, that sounds fun? (just kidding)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks folks for all the rapid answers. I'm thinking burnouts as I head over to the muffler shop to get the cat removed. That'll do it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think they're broken in at the factory but you shouldn't worry about it. The difference between the way you're going to drive it home vs the way you would drive a new Jeep that you bought locally isn't that huge. Just vary your speed as you go home. Maybe take a couple of back roads instead of the interstate.

I bought a Corvette from Kerbeck, the world's largest Corvette dealer and drove it 1,000 miles home and never had any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts