Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed them in @ 10 min and took it on rt 422 just to get over 70. Not a single hood flutter. I never realized how much noise the hood made until I slapped this on. Money well spent. That is all.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Thats a good fix-for at least a year--

Installed them in @ 10 min and took it on rt 422 just to get over 70. Not a single hood flutter. I never realized how much noise the hood made until I slapped this on. Money well spent. That is all.
Removing the spring, lasts forever !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I read @ it, but was unsure about removing it. I was worried something else would go. Ah well, it works for now, that will be my next move!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
:whistling: Thats a good fix-for at least a year--

Removing the spring, lasts forever !!

Cmon Jimbox, daystar claims they last longer than the stock ones!:whistling:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: You mean that a Co. claims that their product lasts longer than the worthless Chrysler product ??

Cmon Jimbox, daystar claims they last longer than the stock ones!:whistling:
Whats wrong with that picture--I've heard a lotta guys that swear by the Daystar latchs and guys that throw them away after a year--because the hood starts fluttering again--ask for a user poll !!

The latchs aren't really the main problem and those fancy SS latchpin ones, are pretty good to, but

I removed the spring over 2½ yrs ago and put a "sill gasket" across the front of the hood, my hood hasn't shuttered/fluttered/tweaked in all that time--still using the stock latchs--

-JIMBO

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I needed new pins for starters, the existing hood pins and strap was very dry and brittle. I managed to pull the pins off with little or no pressure with a regular buck leather men tool, no vice needed to twist them off. Even if the wranglers are not the full time fix, the new tendon and pins seem like they are quality made products and worked. Just to I know for future reference, does mopar or any other manu make decent replacement housings for the clamp?

They are very grey and not dark. I'm sure some product will bring them back to life and protect them from the sun.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I got some of those straps for my very first intended upgrade....the package said to install "when the temp is above 70*"......so I put them away....then I decided to return them....got a return ticket #.....but now I can't find where I hid them out...

so JimBox.....what's this "sill gasket" you now admit is part of your design...???? Photos, eh? You've almost got me convinced to take my spring out instead. And, ok.....the removable winch is definitely my choice....but I've lost track of the parts, etc.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: If you've taken out the lower "air dam"--you're bound for "flutter"

I got some of those straps for my very first intended upgrade....the package said to install "when the temp is above 70*"......so I put them away....then I decided to return them....got a return ticket #.....but now I can't find where I hid them out...

so JimBox.....what's this "sill gasket" you now admit is part of your design...???? Photos, eh? You've almost got me convinced to take my spring out instead. And, ok.....the removable winch is definitely my choice....but I've lost track of the parts, etc.
The stock JK/JKU comes with a flimsy 2' long "whisper" gasket right in the front-middle of the sill, I've put a 3/4" "trunk liner" gasket right on top of the plastic grill--

It seals any air flow from the enginecompt. thru the hood front and hench !--no hood lift--

If the engine compt. air pressure does get higher than the outside (above lift) the ctr of the hood could LIFT, BUT without a spring-there would be no harmonic "flutter", because --SPRING GONE !!

I don't have any pics here in Ca and my JKURs in Nevada, but this pic, you can see the BLACK gasket line, just at the hood/grill edge--thats the gasket !!

Remember it all starts with the removal of the "air dam"-when thats in place, there's no pressure/turbulance buildup in the forward engine compt.--and thats what causes the hood lift-spring causes "flutter"--

Canyadigit !!

smokemifyougotem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts