Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I de-pin these connectors? I have a bad wire for the blinker/brake light somewhere between the drivers side tail light and the steering column. I've opened the connector and lightly pulled on the wire, but it's not coming out.

Tug harder, or is there a catch that needs to be released?

This is the plug at the tail light housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, what Tophog said. The tab(s) will be on the opposite side of the connector as shown in the pic. Plenty of Utube vids to advise.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
You can get one of these at NAPA or perhaps another auto parts store for a couple of bucks.
Not as complete as the set the one that Tophog shows but it should work and you can have it today.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: rushwal and Tophog

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got one of the tools locally, and while it worked for getting the pin out I'm beginning to lean towards that wire not being the issue.

Basically what's happened is I've lost the driver's side turn signal/brake light. The bulb works, (I've swapped them) and I've got continuity from the tail light connector up to the long thin connector on the steering column.

During troubleshooting tonight and depinning one of the connectors, some of the locking tabs for the pins have broken off I got everything back together, and I'm back to the semi-functional state in which I started.

I'm about to the point of scrapping the entire harness and going Painless.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,934 Posts
Here's a good Delphi starter kit I got off Ebay to put Weatherpack connectors on all the speakers and such that will be exposed to weather in the interior work I'm getting started on. You could start redoing suspect connectors as you are tracking down your Electrical. There's less expensive connectors out there, but some of the reviews are not good, although sometimes I wonder if the reviewer had no patience and didn't follow instructions

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELPHI-WEA...ACK/361157561050?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Good Hunting.

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It's probably a bad turn signal switch... unless there is obvious damage it's almost never a wire

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably a bad turn signal switch... unless there is obvious damage it's almost never a wire
And that's the part inside the steering column, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts