Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 JKUR - 2 1/2 years old (out of warranty)

* Jeep just recently had a dead battery after sitting for a day or two
* This past week I charged the battery - started it, ran it and took it to the dealer where they checked the battery with their tester and said it's fine - no sign of issues
* After sitting for 2 days it started this morning and I parked it a block away. Now the battery is dead. Again.

Nothing has changed in the Jeep electrically. Nothing that I know of is draining the battery.

Could the battery test OK and not be good (not holding a charge)? Or...

Could it be something else? (If so what could it be?)

Any suggestions? I don't mind replacing the battery but if that's not the issue then what?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Not sure about the battery test but I have a 2014 (just over 2 years old) and the battery died last week. I live in PHX so batteries don't last long with the heat but was still surprised I only got 2 years out of it. The meter had the voltage at 12.4V. I did the same thing with charging but it didn't even last a day.

I replaced with an Autozone battery and all has been good (at least for the past 6 days). Maybe my imagination but I swear the radio is booting up quicker? I used to have to wait a couple of seconds for the b/u camera to show up but now it comes on as soon as I throw it in reverse.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its not uncommon for these batteries to be junk in two years. Go to local parts store ie. autozone and have it load tested. Its free and probably your issue.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Its not uncommon for these batteries to be junk in two years. Go to local parts store ie. autozone and have it load tested. Its free and probably your issue.
I had the battery tested at the dealership with their Mopar battery tester and it showed good with no bad cells. But I still think it's the battery (and I'm not surprised the battery lasted just until after the factory warranty expired. :winner:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks guys!

I had the battery tested at the dealership with their Mopar battery tester and it showed good with no bad cells. But I still think it's the battery (and I'm not surprised the battery lasted just until after the factory warranty expired. :winner:
Sadly we have seen this before. It seems the lower level techs don't do a load test to verify. A battery can show 12.6 and still be junk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2012 battery died overnight, fine the day before;charged it but it died again a few minutes later.
Glad it was in the garage at home and not on the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK guys I need to know, myself. I'm not a JK owner, yet. But, I need to know if its a bad batch of 2014 alternators, or what. Electrical problems have somehow always plagued me, here on the East coast. I can understand Phoenix, but then again. . .

Is it crappy quality batteries? Have you two or three people been victims of sabotage.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly we have seen this before. It seems the lower level techs don't do a load test to verify. A battery can show 12.6 and still be junk.
My 2012 battery died overnight, fine the day before;charged it but it died again a few minutes later.
Glad it was in the garage at home and not on the road.

You were all, of course, correct. (Thanks!)

The battery was pretending to be alive but it was on life support.

I bought a new batter and all is well again in JKUR land :iamhappy:

Too bad the stock batteries are suck POS

·
Registered
295 Posts
My daughter just had the same issue with a 2012 JKUR that she bought 3 weeks ago. No sign of battery problems at all, She came home from the grocery store, went out a half hour later and dead. I checked it and it was 12.7 volts. It wouldn't even jump from my pickup with a brand new battery. Then it started, only once, with the warning lights all blinking, overhead lights pulsing.... Would not start again. Dealer towed it since it was under warranty. I thought it was going to be TIPM problem but it was a bad cell in the battery. I really didn't think it was the battery. Headlights would not come on with switch but lit up when door unlocked, many weird symptoms that didn't indicate battery to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts