Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my jeep wouldn't start....I think it's a dead batter, it's 5 years old.....my only concern is that it wouldn't even turn over.....I could hear the relays clicking but the lights were dim and flickering......wouldn't the engine try to turn over? Thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery.

I don't understand your concern. It is not surprising that a 5 yr old battery has gone bad.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Pretty common for that to happen when a battery fails. Especially if it's cold

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've never had a battery last more than 49 months, original or aftermarket, but they always seem to last at least 48....Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, sounds like a battery, but it could also be a starter. In my case it was both!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
happens to me all the time in my car. Hasn't happened in the jeep yet. In my experience there a couple of different levels of low battery:
1) s-l-o-w turning over (may catch if you're lucky, may not)
2) clicking only, but still will get sounds & lights when not turning key
3) nothing - turning key kills all sounds & lights, don't come back on until wait a few secs
I've never harmed anything yet by running low battery, jumping, or push starting (manual trans) after any of those situations. Not sure how advanced/delicate my onboard computer is though - car's kind of old.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I've never had a battery last more than 49 months, original or aftermarket, but they always seem to last at least 48....Hmmmm.
I keep all my cars plugged into a Deltran Battery Tender when parked at home. My diesel pickup batteries are 9 years old.

The Tender keeps the batteries charged to as close to 100% as possible and that's where you get maximum life. The more time a starting battery spends at 100% charge, the longer it will last and alternators can't come close.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Several times I have had batteries die very quick. I could start the vehicle and drive to work and 4 hours later at lunch time, the battery was completely dead. I did not leave the lights on. The battery was just bad and it discharged that quickly once it had developed a bad cell. Your battery being 5 years old surely needs to be replaced. If your battery is really dead, it will not even try to turn over.

The last couple of batteries that I bought from AutoZone only lasted me about 2 years. I will not buy their batteries anymore.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,680 Posts
5 years is pretty good. here in Florida, it's usually around 3, maybe 4. The heat (especially under the hood) just kills them.

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago.

Personally, replacing a battery tends to be cheaper than towing a vehicle, so the first sign of trouble, I slap a new one in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My battery lasted 5 years and my front brakes are still going strong at 5 years and 117,000 miles! I have all the parts to replace them, but haven't needed to yet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts