Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What else can it b. I turn the key & nothing then i jumped her & she started right up. Drove around a bit then shut her off tried again but nothing, no clicks, lights, radio nothing. Jumped her again then disconnected the battery & she stayed running. Charged the battery 100% then tried her again but nothing. Jumped her again & she started right up. So my guess is the battery but i just want some imput before i buy a battery i cant return. Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
Get your alternator tested. Mine was doing basically the same thing, wouldn't start by itself, but it would run if jumped. O'reillys, autozone, and the like should do a free alternator test for you.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
How clean and tight are your battery connections? You can easily test your battery and alternator with a simple voltmeter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wattapunk said:
How clean and tight are your battery connections? You can easily test your battery and alternator with a simple voltmeter.
Yes and no... You can't simply load test a battery for cranking amps with a voltmeter, no setting for amps.... And you can't test the voltage regulator inside the altinator with a voltmeter it has to be put under a load to see if it fails.... The only way to do this is to take it to a autozone and have them do it for FREE.....

·
Registered
690 Posts
I work at autozone as a parts manager... Did they test the altinator at the sametime? They should have, but it is autozone and people can be lazy :-(

·
Registered
690 Posts
JazzTj97 said:
No i just brought the battery seperatly, i will check the alternator tomorrow
You don't have to take it off the jeep to get it tested, you can if you want but they can test it on the jeep as long as the battery is good... They will test battery first then altinator... If the battery is bad it won't let them test the altinator on the jeep you will have to take it off... Not big deal I can take one off in 5mins.... And they should let you borrow tools to do the job...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Check the battery voltage with engine running. It would be around the 13.5v (+or- 3)range with a good alternator. More than likely a bad alternator that's not charging your battery and the jeep is running just off uncharged battery power hense the no start each time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, problem solved, it turned out to b loose connections on the battery poles that loosened over time while driving. So heads up, even though the poles & connections look/ are clean, tight is key. Thanks to all who chimed in. Love this forum.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you test your alternator at autozone it only runs it for a few seconds. Mine would shut off after it got hot but autozones test said it was good. Put in a new alternator and all is well

·
Registered
690 Posts
bmbillups said:
If you test your alternator at autozone it only runs it for a few seconds. Mine would shut off after it got hot but autozones test said it was good. Put in a new alternator and all is well
That's why I said to test it on vehicle so it would be nice and hot....

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
word for anyone else experiencing this, if your terminals look clean, they'll suck and won't work worth a crap.

They're not supposed to look clean and shiny. They are supposed to be sanded or wirebrushed and look all chewed up on the lead like a crosshatch pattern. Your inside of your terminal connectors should be sanded or wire brushed as well. Then when you tighten them down the scratches actually mesh together and make an awesome connection. If they're shiny, you won't have hardly any surface area that meshes together to make a good solid contact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts