Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I would like to get your opinion on if you think this is a good deal or not. Here are the details...

2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander (Blue)
20,358 miles
Two door
6-speed
Dual Top
AC (standard)
Power Windows, doors, cruise, and keyless entry
Anti-theft
Upgraded tires and suspension (standard on Islander)

Initial selling price of $21,776.23 (Down from $23,000 due to negotiation) - $2500 down payment = $19,276.23 + tax, title, registration = financed amount of $20,625.57.

I might tell them tomorrow that I'll do it for an initial selling price of $21,000 - $2500 = $18,500 + tax, title, reg = financed amount of $19,795.

Due to good credit the dealer has me approved for a 2.79%APR for 72 months.

Here is the link to the vehicle Used 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport For Sale | Fort Wayne IN .

What do you guys think? I test drove it twice and it's in immaculate condition.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For that price, i'd consider a 2012 sport for $22-$24k and 0% financing for 36 months or slightly higher for longer term. you'll get the better engine also. I looked at used and decided for an extra $4-5k i could buy new and what i wanted.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would want to build my own to have the right color and a 2012 Wrangler Sport S (crush color) with a hardtop would be $26,115 before taxes, title, and registration. Plus I would really like my payments to be $300 if not a little less. I could print a build on a 2012 and take it in to see what they can do for price.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lets compare that to a 2013 Sport S with Dual Top...MSRP will be about $32k or so. You could talk them down to $29 or $30K.

SO in order to save $7k you are getting a truck 3 years older, 20k miles (not too bad on miles actually) on the vehicle already. Also with a used vehicle your financing is as good.

Your choice if saving the 7k over the life of the loan (minus the reduced trade in value at the end due to the extra 3 years) is worth it. Goto an auto load calculator and do the math of a well equiped 2013 and this 2010.. adjust the terms to reflect a longer loan and see how you end up.

I got my Rubi a month ago, got 84 month financing at 3.7 percent financing... I bet my payment will be close to what yours would be on that used one.

As a side note, I don't know squat about politics but I am guessing that the loan rates and gas prices will go up after the election... so whatever you do, my advice is to do it quickly.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's def good looking!

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's a nice jeep...BUT, I think you should spend a little more and get a '12. There will be some good discounts on them now that the '13's have been out for a few months. Plus you will get a new warranty. I say go for new.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think a dealership would still give a good discount on a 2012 if I had it ordered? I believe I can still do that...according to Jeep's website.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can't order '12's anymore. There has got to be some on some lots. Just need to do a little research online. You should be able to get a decent price on one.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
You can't order a 12 why would you think that? They are making 13s now what do you think they will magically slap a 2012 sticker on one? It goes by build date once the date comes, they only produce 2013s. That's like me going in an asking them to build me a 2014 just because. Find a 12 on a lot like I did (crush) unlimited got it for 27500 my payment is 306 72 months at .9

·
Registered
771 Posts
Do it like this:

1. This is an example of what can be done, search your zip code and select any distance:

2012 Sport with a hard top. 15,000 miles asking $22,900. You could probably get it for 2200 or less out the door. Bigger tires, you can grab take offs for next to nothing.

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport in KENDALL, FL 33186: Sport Utility Details - 329115827 - AutoTrader.com

2. Here's the 2012 thread with every single detail of the models and options when they came out, list price and invoice price:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-wrangler-information-thread-101089.html

Add up the invoice price for the vehicle you want and all the options, the figure on 1-2 % discount of the invoice total, is what you want to pay on a new one.

If you get the 2010 and once it dawns on you what a POS the transmission is, figure on 2000 dollars to regear it, or 5000 to put a super charger on it.

Do everything you can to get into a 2012+.

If you think 285 horsepower over 202 won't bother you or the transmission (if automatic is what you are after), won't either, simply test drive each one then decide. However the numbers speak for themselves. Simply not worth trying to save 1-2,000 dollars over the new engine and transmission alone.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just thought you could build a 2012 because I could 'build and price' either a 2012 or 2013 on jeep.com. I'll do some research as a few of you have suggested.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do it like this:

1. This is an example of what can be done, search your zip code and select any distance:

2012 Sport with a hard top. 15,000 miles asking $22,900. You could probably get it for 2200 or less out the door. Bigger tires, you can grab take offs for next to nothing.

Cars for Sale: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport in KENDALL, FL 33186: Sport Utility Details - 329115827 - AutoTrader.com

2. Here's the 2012 thread with every single detail of the models and options when they came out, list price and invoice price:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-wrangler-information-thread-101089.html

Add up the invoice price for the vehicle you want and all the options, the figure on 1-2 % discount of the invoice total, is what you want to pay on a new one.

If you get the 2010 and once it dawns on you what a POS the transmission is, figure on 2000 dollars to regear it, or 5000 to put a super charger on it.

Do everything you can to get into a 2012+.

If you think 285 horsepower over 202 won't bother you or the transmission (if automatic is what you are after), won't either, simply test drive each one then decide. However the numbers speak for themselves. Simply not worth trying to save 1-2,000 dollars over the new engine and transmission alone.
Thanks man!! I'll definitely check those out.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would wait until the day after thanksgiving, this is the start of the slow season. You would be able to negotiate a lot harder. Have a list of options that you want and see if they can find you one. Dont spend more than you are comfortable spending. Good luck to ya

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys I'm gonna shop around. I mean hell I was just on cars.com and found multiple 2013's for under $23,000. Granted they didn't have a hard top or power windows, locks, etc but still.....that's quite inexpensive.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks guys I'm gonna shop around. I mean hell I was just on cars.com and found multiple 2013's for under $23,000. Granted they didn't have a hard top or power windows, locks, etc but still.....that's quite inexpensive.
"power windows, locks, etc". Extra weight and more stuff to break.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"power windows, locks, etc". Extra weight and more stuff to break.
I agree. I don't really care if it has power windows, locks, etc. I was just referencing that only in terms of price. I feel a Wrangler with crank windows and manual locks would feel more rugged lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts