Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my '15 JKU has been pulling to the right since new. Brought it to the dealer, they tried to align it, and said it had a camber issue. They had their "district mechanical rep" (?) take a look, and they tried a few things, including rotating the tires, but still no good. He determined that the front axle likely would need to be replaced, but FCA wanted to "try a 3rd party part" to try and correct it, and that they'd get back to me. Finally got a call, saying that they got it as close as they could (they "split the difference in the alignment", whatever that means).

Picked it up, and it's better, but still pulling to the right. I asked about next steps, and they said that the service manager and DMR say that there are no other adjustments they can make, and that it's within factory specifications. Which is interesting, since it still pulls to the right.

I'm having a hard time accepting that a $40k vehicle can't track straight. Any suggestions on what to do next?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All stock, never wheeled.

I agree, there's not a whole lot that could cause camber to be out other than a bad axle/"C". It's clearly not right, so why not just do the right thing and replace it/them?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The only way to adjust camber in our Jeeps is with adjustable or off camber ball joints. How much off is your camber? Bent C's or axle could be the reason for camber problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't gotten the measurements from them yet (haven't asked).

While changing the oil this weekend, I swear I saw a bolt with some sort of offset flange where the lower driver's side control arm connects to the front axle. Wonder if they're trying to compensate for camber-induced pull by adjusting caster/shifting the axle somehow.

(Really stretching here...)

·
Retired Moderator
100,675 Posts
First of all, when your Dealer tells you that they tried to align it, well there is nothing to align. So that is somewhat scary to start with.
The only adjustments on a stock JKU are the toe-in and the centering of the steering wheel. Neither of which, will cause it to pull, wander somewhat and wear your tires is about it.
Your Caster and Camber are a fixed setting and non-adjustable.

So yes, a tire can cause a vehicle to pull, but since they rotated the tires, then that eliminates a tire as the cause.
So that leaves the axle housing, with a camber issue. And possibly not enough positive caster to mask the issue.

My 2013 JKR, does not pull, and hold the road very well.

Chrysler/Jeep Customer Service: 1-800-247-9753

·
Super Moderator
16,386 Posts
Third party part? Sounds like an offset ball joint. Camber can cause a little pull, but it isn't usually a problem if toe is good.

I had a right pull that was determined to be my axle where the drivers side caster is higher than the passenger side. It is usually the other way around. I asked them to replace the axle but they said that even though it was backwards, it was still in spec and nothing they could do.

I ended up putting on a gas charged stabilizer and now she drives nice and straight.

Get your sheet from the dealer and post it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
All stock, never wheeled. I agree, there's not a whole lot that could cause camber to be out other than a bad axle/"C". It's clearly not right, so why not just do the right thing and replace it/them?
Unless a bracket got welded to the frame wrong, only reasonable dealer warranty fix (assuming it's out of spec) would be a new front axle.

Push for that.

Once you get it approved, inquire about paying the difference for an HD upgrade.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
I believe that they have a special kit that can address camber to a certain degree on our cars, it is involved and needs special approval from regional service rep.

I remember one of the members on here going through this, I cannot find the thread for some reason...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
... DMR say that there are no other adjustments they can make, and that it's within factory specifications.
I would bring it to an independent third party to have the alignment checked. Do they agree it is somewhere within factory specs?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Is it all stock? Been wheeled?

There is no camber adjustment, so no way to "split the difference"

If camber is off, something is bent.
On-roading, and hit a really good pothole? :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Next Steps? I believe that was your question, Call FCA Customer service. Document every date/time/persons name (ask them to spell it so they know you know they know you are documenting everything) - make it clear You and the issue isn't going away until the issue goes away.

Are you in a Lemon Law State? Give them their three(3) swings and then Knock them Out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to FCA, the rep first wanted to see if I could take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion, which I was fine with, but I indicated I'd need a loaner if I had to leave it. She called the 2nd dealer, then called my dealer, who offered for me to take their tech for a ride to verify what I was experiencing. Which is weird, because they tried for nearly 2 weeks to sort it out, said that it could only be fixed with a new axle or 3rd party part, neither of which were done.

Hmm.

Taking the tech for a ride tomorrow, and if they confirm what I'm experiencing, I'm supposed to call FCA for next steps. Really hoping this doesn't end up in a Frankenjeep with some oddball "fix" or a buyback...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
New front housing - shouldn't get much resistance from FCA (unless it's within spec).

Again, once you get the labor and replacement approved by FCA, inquire on the HD upgrade.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New front housing - shouldn't get much resistance from FCA (unless it's within spec).
You'd think so. Hopefully it's just that and not the chassis mounts.

Again, once you get the labor and replacement approved by FCA, inquire on the HD upgrade.
Not a bad idea. I'm not going to be doing much serious wheeling for the next few years while it's on DD duty, but when I hand it down to the kids, all bets are off. Is the front axle that weak to justify the upgrade? As I said, not focused on heavy wheeling just yet, so I haven't bothered to think about it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the exact same camber problem causing a pull to the right with my '15 JKU too. I took it to the dealer, and they were clueless. Even their 'senior' tech, could only mumble non-sense.

I went to Les Schwab and they instantly said that I needed an adjustable ball joint, they had a .5 / 1.0 / 1.5. They said to start with the .5... so we put in a .5 degree upper left ball joint and did an alignment. That made things a lot better... next I had my tires "road force balanced" at Discount Tire, that made things slightly better.

I still have a slight pull to the right, I should probably go with the 1 degree upper left ball joint. But I'm a little worried that would overcompensate.

As other have said, likely bent axle or bent C or bad ball joints is the root cause. I only noticed it after lifting and putting on bigger tires, but after talking to people the bigger tires just amplified the issues to make it a bigger problem... not the source of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
16,386 Posts
New front housing - shouldn't get much resistance from FCA (unless it's within spec). Again, once you get the labor and replacement approved by FCA, inquire on the HD upgrade.
That's the problem... Spec is a really wide range.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts