Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for new JL about a week now, I've called few dealers and this weekend I've gotten 2 calls about it being end of the month on Monday and they need to move inventory.
Is this a sales tactic or is there such a thing as end of month quotas? I didn't ask how much of a better "deal" I would get, just cause I didn't want to get the whole come by Tomm in person line.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
971 Posts
You are not going to get the best deal over the phone. Research, get the numbers, know what you want. Visit several dealers and dont be afraid to walk out. I have had dealers chase me down the street after walking from there best offer and never let them take the keys to appraise your trade, dont talk trade until you have a firm price on the vehicle you are thinking of buying last but not least the closing room, unless you are going with factory finance co. find your own source and please dont let the finance person [closer] sell you with the exception of an extended FACTORY warranty if you want one even that is available at discount from some dealers Note most after mkt warrantys are not worth the paper they are written on. they will try to up sell ins, paint sealer, anti theft and and a host of other cash cows and now it is late you have been there most of the day you are tired but take the time to read every piece of paper before you sign any thing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That is some SERIOUS solid advise. Every line in that response is worth a second read! Stick to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes dealers like having high sales numbers for the month. If they are behind, they are more likely to make better deals.

As mentioned, do research and know what the value of the jeep your looking at is. You control the negotiations. Do not answer "how much can you afford per month?". Instead, you ask how much is the jeep. If you did your research, you can tell right off the bat how much they are trying to get you for. Do not show "new car fever" no matter how badly you want it. Act indifferent and make sure they know you have other options. Find something that you don't like about it and keep bringing it up when they ask you why your not buying it. After they make their first price, make an offer that is low-ball, but not low enough to insult them. I usually end up walking to the door 2-3 times.

Also know what your trade in is worth - honestly price it. Once you agree on the new price, then the trade in value, then you can discuss financing if you don't already have it lined up.

I once bought a car that they had listed for just under $10k for only $5k because it was the last day of the month and he needed a sale. That was used though. How hot is the new JL market where you live? Are people lined up to buy, or is there a lot of inventory sitting on the lot and salesmen standing around?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,918 Posts
That is some SERIOUS solid advise. Every line in that response is worth a second read! Stick to it. Good luck!
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
In my prior life as a dealership sales schmuck, month end numbers CAN be important. If the dealer is close to hitting the magic number for their dealership I have seen them go to all sorts of lengths to make the deal. It does not matter whether they are small or big. If you can take them into any of a few bonus levels for that month or even quarter it is valid.

Figure out who is more desperate for that number, be willing to walk at anytime, obtain your pre-approval from your credit union so they do not jack you on interest rate, and for god sake... do not become emotionally attached to any vehicle.

Also, by getting pre-approved from your bank you will know a rough payment before they start working it on you. They always mark the payment up (if they are playint the payment game), $20-40 a month so that finance can make some $$$ on warranty add ons in the box.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Been looking for new JL about a week now, I've called few dealers and this weekend I've gotten 2 calls about it being end of the month on Monday and they need to move inventory.
Is this a sales tactic or is there such a thing as end of month quotas? I didn't ask how much of a better "deal" I would get, just cause I didn't want to get the whole come by Tomm in person line.

Thoughts?
True, end of the month is a lot of pressure on sales ppl to sell more to hit the target number. Its a good time as you might get a better deal.
Also search for older inventory (faded stickers, check manufactured date).
I think anything close or above 6 months is on the incentive list "to be sold" asap
The rest is mathematics - check and recheck the numbers.
I never got a better rate at my bank than at the dealership, I know ppl advise to find your own financing but it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Great info! Well I'm doing cash and my 2012 Sahara has a KBB value of 23k and that's without counting 35 tires and 20in fuel rims. So not counting that I'm assuming 20k trade in value since they obviously need to sell it after. Looking for a JL Sahara same color hard top, was thinking the one touch but the aesthetics of not being able to take top all way off doesn't look good to me.
2019 Sahara with leather looks to be around 42-43k, so realistically I'm thinking 20k in trade and 20k cash all in out the door. I'm going by Tomm afternoon so let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys, well visited 2 dealerships today
First dealership quoted me 48k, jl unlimited Sahara , leather, same color top, and 18k for my trade in.. with out the door coming out to 34k cash.. I scoffed, got them down to 30k but that's bout it.
Other dealership quoted me 45k with 17k in trade in. Got them to 28k

I guess I'm being unrealtic thinking my trade in (23k KBB) plus 20k cash would of closed the deal.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
Thank you sir! Getting into Wranglers after a looooong absence, and this forum seems awesome! Always liked wheeling, but I started with LR Discoveries cuz' of the cost and the 4-doors (which Jeep didn't have back then then)
Was always very decent to me, although I DO understand and have seen the horror stories first hand. The LR 'community' was very finicky too, to be diplomatic. Anyway, Round 2 dictates I finally get what I want, so Wrangler it is:)
Now the usual research, which to me is part of the fun. Sport and build up VS Rubi, etc etc etc... Looking forward to contributing what I can and learning about these wild trucks once and for all.

Thank you again for everybody's warm welcome.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi guys, well visited 2 dealerships today
...Other dealership quoted me 45k with 17k in trade in....

I guess I'm being unrealistic thinking my trade in (23k KBB) plus 20k cash would of closed the deal.
Thoughts?
2 things:
IF you are going to let your Sahara go to the dealer for $17,000, maybe let's talk?? details here or on PM?? :)

And 2nd, yes maybe a little 'unrealistic' because KBB is notoriously a high estimate, as proved by EVERY dealer in the Internet posting their KBB referenced price. If you check NADA (you should), you'll almost see the opposite, where their estimates seem too low. So check them both, and also the local used car market to see what the Saharas are going for in Miami. Check 5 Saharas, + KBB + NADA and come up with a solid average. THEN you know if you are getting low balled or a fair value. My experience says you'll almost ALWAYS get a much better price if you sell it yourself, but a lot of ppl cant really do that for whatever life situations they got going on....

I'm a newb to Wranglers, but a long time at life:drinks:

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea def wasn't going to settle for 17k but I was looking at the deal as a whole, if I could bridge gaps on trade and new car to 20k I would,of done it. I think 20k is fair for my Sahara and thought getting it down from 48k to 43ish for new jlus was realistic.. specially end of month/quarter and having cash.. anyone have any dealer friends that would want to make a deal let me know. : )

2 things:
IF you are going to let your Sahara go to the dealer for $17,000, maybe let's talk?? details here or on PM?? :)

And 2nd, yes maybe a little 'unrealistic' because KBB is notoriously a high estimate, as proved by EVERY dealer in the Internet posting their KBB referenced price. If you check NADA (you should), you'll almost see the opposite, where their estimates seem too low. So check them both, and also the local used car market to see what the Saharas are going for in Miami. Check 5 Saharas, + KBB + NADA and come up with a solid average. THEN you know if you are getting low balled or a fair value. My experience says you'll almost ALWAYS get a much better price if you sell it yourself, but a lot of ppl cant really do that for whatever life situations they got going on....

I'm a newb to Wranglers, but a long time at life:drinks:

Good luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
Yea def wasn't going to settle for 17k but I was looking at the deal as a whole, if I could bridge gaps on trade and new car to 20k I would,of done it. I think 20k is fair for my Sahara and thought getting it down from 48k to 43ish for new jlus was realistic.. specially end of month/quarter and having cash.. anyone have any dealer friends that would want to make a deal let me know. : )
it is hard to get both top dollar for your trade and bottom dollar for the one you are buying. Sell your vehicle outright and then you might get closer to the deal you want.

Reactions: cameronusmc2001

·
Registered
971 Posts
One thing to consider in most states you will pay sales tax on the $ spent but not on the trade $ with state and city sales tax could be upward of 10%. That could put a big hole in what you gain by selling your trade and paying cash for the full amount. All depends on location.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
1 thing, the wheels add zero value to your trade in. If you still have the stock wheels, throw them back on and sell the aftermarket wheels yourself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not that it makes a difference in your case but no reputable dealer should offer any discount for cash. It’s not like they are hiding it for tax purposes or need it to make that weeks payroll.
I only mention this because you referenced it a couple times.
Even if they are not making any money on the loan they would still prefer to use a bank.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Yeah, cash doesn't help. It actually seems to hurt,at least around here. Around here if you finance through the selling dealer they get a slice of that. We financed through the dealer and then paid the loan off before the first payment.
And, as mentioned, your wheels would be better off being sold separately with stock wheels tires on the Jeep, along with most any other personal touches you have done to it.
You might do OK with that on there if you sell it yourself, but even there I would put it as close to stock to sell it and sell your parts separately.
The dealer is not going to give you anywhere near what they think they can sell your Jeep for unless they are bending you over on the price of the one you are buying. They aren't going to give you within 2 or 3 grand of what they can sell it for unless you are paying too much for the other one from them.
Work out the price for the new one without factoring a trade. Then deal with the trade as a separate issue. If they won't give you enough for the trade, sell it yourself or sell it somewhere else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought my 2018 JKU new for cash and I wasn't expecting a deal. I just wanted to cut through the BS and get in and out. I didn't have a trade in since I was keeping my car and my truck. Sadly, the whole transaction still involved a lot of attempts to get me to finance for a low interest rate and then add an extended warranty and other random service contracts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts