Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched vehicles with my wife this morning and took her Liberty in for an oil change. While I was waiting I took a look around. They had a COD 4 door on the lot. I'm really starting to like the new interior. They had several dealer lifted Wranglers for sale.

After browsing I went back to the waiting room. They came out and informed me that there were some "mileage specific" services that needed to be performed. (27K) I was kind of expecting the differential fluid or even the radiator flush with winter around the corner. When he said power steering flush, I couldn't help myself and just burst out laughing. He continued trying to explain its purpose but I didn't hear him. After gaining my composure and saying no thank you, he managed to mention the benefits of "induction cleaning". Again I started laughing and muttered no thanks as he was trying to explain how it would restore performance.

That really made my morning enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Switched vehicles with my wife this morning and took her Liberty in for an oil change. While I was waiting I took a look around. They had a COD 4 door on the lot. I'm really starting to like the new interior. They had several dealer lifted Wranglers for sale.

After browsing I went back to the waiting room. They came out and informed me that there were some "mileage specific" services that needed to be performed. (27K) I was kind of expecting the differential fluid or even the radiator flush with winter around the corner. When he said power steering flush, I couldn't help myself and just burst out laughing. He continued trying to explain its purpose but I didn't hear him. After gaining my composure and saying no thank you, he managed to mention the benefits of "induction cleaning". Again I started laughing and muttered no thanks as he was trying to explain how it would restore performance.

That really made my morning enjoyable.

Ok,I am coming up to about 27000 miles on my Rubi, so your saying ,reject the power steering flush,"induction cleaning"(obviously)

See I didn't know that.I probably would of said "go ahead"

AJ:)

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
For every one person that says "no" ten say "yes" because they "trust" the dealer. Damn, I'm in the wrong end of the business.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
How much did they want for this service?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
ROFL, Mine hasn't even been to the shop for the FREE recall fixes :)

All my routine stuff gets done in "Dad's Driveway"... (and PLEASE let me get a garage this PCS...)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It's not just the dealers. I got the same line of crud when I had the oil changed at one of the Oil Changer placers recently. Tried selling me the PS flush and a brake flush, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For every one person that says "no" ten say "yes" because they "trust" the dealer. Damn, I'm in the wrong end of the business.
Yeah, Your always at the wrong end of the business when someone is trying to do sex to you!:rofl: (Goodness, I love me SNL)

·
Registered
545 Posts
there trying to get every dime outta you arnt they! LOL
As PT Barnum reported said "There's a sucker born every minute."

They didn't know. Daggo might have been one and why would they want to miss him if he was?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
It's not just the dealers. I got the same line of crud when I had the oil changed at one of the Oil Changer placers recently. Tried selling me the PS flush and a brake flush, etc, etc.
Me too.... :bottom: PS flush= $79.95 + tax
Trans flush= $159.95 + tax
Diff changes.... I didn't even let him tell me how much, since I just had them changed 3k miles ago....

What stinkers they are... came home and looked at my PS and Trans fluids and they are exactly the color they are supposed to be, NOT the black nasty brake fluid samples they showed me at the shop..... Someone should fry for treating people this way.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I'm one of the folks who would've said "yes."

Until I got a Jeep a few months back I knew very, very little about auto repair/maintenance. Now I'm learning, but I've got a long way to go to automotive self-sufficiency. :redface:

So, who's motivated to post a cheat sheet of "fluid facts" for us aspiring Jeepers to review when we get fluid questions/recommendations/etc. from potentially unethical servicers??

Anybody? C'mon Daggo, you've obviously got all this stuff down . . . .

·
Registered
570 Posts
According to the dealership my speedometer o-ring was about to leak. Well that was five years ago and I still don't see any leak

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Heh Heh, I don't let the dealer do anything -no TSB/Recall/oil change/tire rotate and especially any flushs

Just been there tomany times-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much did they want for this service?
We never got that far. I was seriously laughing out loud. The PS flush just got me as extremely funny.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As PT Barnum reported said "There's a sucker born every minute."

They didn't know. Daggo might have been one and why would they want to miss him if he was?
I have no problem with the fact that they asked.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm one of the folks who would've said "yes."

Until I got a Jeep a few months back I knew very, very little about auto repair/maintenance. Now I'm learning, but I've got a long way to go to automotive self-sufficiency. :redface:

So, who's motivated to post a cheat sheet of "fluid facts" for us aspiring Jeepers to review when we get fluid questions/recommendations/etc. from potentially unethical servicers??

Anybody? C'mon Daggo, you've obviously got all this stuff down . . . .
It's pretty much common sense. Your PS is a sealed system as is your brakes. Unless some contamnation somehow entered the system (highly unlikely) both are good for the life of the vehicle.

As far as "induction cleaning", I really was laughing too much to be clear as to what he meant. He definitely did not say "injector" though that may have been what he meant. If he did mean induction, then I guess he wanted to replace the air filter that I just replaced 3K miles ago. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm wondering if dealers or even their mechanics would sabotage or create problems to insure a steady flow of work? since they mostly work and get paid by the job... Christmas is just around the corner and jr wants a new xbox and new cod game..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts