Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a JKU recon and had the dealer install the Mopar 4" lift last Friday. My Wife drove it to work and heard a clunking noise. Once under the Jeep found that the nut was never install on the driver lower arm and the passenger spring was out of the bucket on the bottom and smashed against the frame. I don't have to much experience but I feel that if that arm came off while on the freeway the axle would have come back under the Jeep??? Could anyone tell me if I'm stressing/over reacting over this situation? Should I put a nut on the bolt and continue on my way. Also what would cause the spring to pop out of place?

Any comments are helpful

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
yes don't drive it until you torq the bolt down and go over every bolt. I would be back at the dealer with my hair on fire. could have been pretty nasty had the bolt worked its way out especially under heavy braking or an evasive maneuver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes don't drive it until you torq the bolt down and go over every bolt. I would be back at the dealer with my hair on fire. could have been pretty nasty had the bolt worked its way out especially under heavy braking or an evasive maneuver.

Guess I'll have it towed in then. The bolt was almost completely backed out and the nut is missing.

Any ideas why the passenger spring would be popped out?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
they probably never had it in the bucket to begin with. my guess is something interrupted the person who installed the lift and he never checked it.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Guess I'll have it towed in then. The bolt was almost completely backed out and the nut is missing.
Well that's only a good idea if you trust them. After letting your jeep roll out of the shop without checking torque, I am not sure I'd have much confidence in them.

Hard to imagine how they missed it. Likely was assembled on a lift. Should have been torqued with weight on the wheels. Then should have been test drove and re-checked torque.

·
Registered
183 Posts
just make sure when u tell them about the bolt, to tell the service guy that you would like to go over the whole lift with the mechanic while he torques every thing right infront of you

·
Registered
274 Posts
just make sure when u tell them about the bolt, to tell the service guy that you would like to go over the whole lift with the mechanic while he torques every thing right infront of you
Most dealerships in the states won't allow customers on the shop floor for insurance reasons. So that doesn't usually work.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Most dealerships in the states won't allow customers on the shop floor for insurance reasons. So that doesn't usually work.
Most dealers don't like getting sued either!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah i guess, Every time I take the jeep to the dealer and I have a concern or a problem I ask them to see it my self, but yet I'm mechanically inclined so normally I know what the issue is and I direct them straight to the problem

Most the time I get thanked by the mech at the dealer for not spending too much of there time

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
Stories like this keep me away from doing any work with any dealership. That and speaking to the service department at my local dealership, it seemed like they knew even less than me. Although now I find myself driving almost two hours each way to have OK4wd handle everything that is beyond my capability. Not the cheapest option, but a very reliable and safe one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts