Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 JKUR with 158K miles on the clock. I bought it new and purchased the Mopar MaxCare lifetime warranty at that time. Last week I took it to my local dealer to have some issues taken care of, specifically; front wheel bearing, ABS wheel sensor, leaking rear shock and the e-brake was non-operational.

Dealer says all was covered with the exception of the leaking rear shock as that is a wear and tear item. I called FCA as the MaxCare contract clearly states that shocks are covered. Called dealer back and service adviser says "after 130K miles, the shocks are considered a wear and tear item and are not covered".

I called FCA because NOWHERE in ANY documentation I can find the 130K miles limit mentioned. The dealer just pulled this number out of his a$$ as far as I can tell. The rep there puts me on hold for like 10 minutes then comes back and says I must refer to my owner's manual - specifically, the maintenance tables. She says anything listed there for regular maintenance is considered wear and tear. I got the distinct impression she was really unclear on what she was telling me....she kept putting me on old to find answers. I decide to study the manual for a night before I ask any more questions. I can't find any mention of shocks in the manual so I call FCA again the next day. This time I get a rep who pulled the R.O. from the dealer and says "well - the dealer didn't request authorization to cover the leaking shock because had he, we would've". The rep said they would reimburse me so I sent in all the paperwork but I'm like why the hell would my dealer SA feed me that BS?! Anybody else get this run around involving a MaxCare warranty. Really pisses me off because when they sold me the warranty, their sales tagline was "If it's mechanical - it's COVERED". No mention of mileage limits.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My neighbor has a '07 JKU and the MaxCare warranty and they just replaced his engine at 258K for $100 deductible.

It makes me really regret not buying the MaxCare on my JKUHR.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
FCA planned on you modding the thing enough to void the warranty. 158K with the factory shocks, really, get out there and modd that thing like normal people. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
The answer is pretty simple. The dealer gets paid more for retail repairs, than they get for warranty repairs, factory, or extended warranty repairs. So if they can get a customer to pay, they will. That was probably the case here, but since you pushed hard enough you won. Odds are most people would have tossed in the towel and paid for the shocks or did it themselves.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts
Sorry... but really? You are going to piss and moan over a $80 item after 158k on a part that was worn out ages ago? My time is more valuable to me than spending countless hours on something so trivial, but to each their own.

When my head unit went out, and the next one and the next one, at only 10,000 miles on a $1,200 part, my time was worth the argument.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I would make them live up to the warranty contract just out of spite. What is tolerated one day becomes the norm tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Is it even an $80 part? Not worth the exasperation and effort, now it it was new, but 160k miles is pretty fair to get out of a shock. Bigger fish to fry....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry... but really? You are going to piss and moan over a $80 item after 158k on a part that was worn out ages ago? My time is more valuable to me than spending countless hours on something so trivial, but to each their own.

The dealer charged $219 for the part and labor. It's my money and time so stuff it, bro.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's exactly the point. Plus - I purposely kept the vehicle nearly stock aside from bumpers and a winch and some body protection to avoid giving FCA a chance to say that the MaxCare warranty is voided. I'm out of the country often for work and don't have the hands on time to make these kinds of repairs.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts

The dealer charged $219 for the part and labor. It's my money and time so stuff it, bro.
For $219 you could have gotten a better aftermarket product for all 4 corners. Now you have one good shock and three trashed shocks. Have fun riding in your F'd up suspension geometry now... bruh.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
All my warranties were dead a year ago. I own it, I fix it. I don't have to deal with a dealer idiot telling me that my big tires are going to void anything. The dealer won't ever see it.

Reactions: Hedgehog2JKU

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
That's exactly the point. Plus - I purposely kept the vehicle nearly stock aside from bumpers and a winch and some body protection to avoid giving FCA a chance to say that the MaxCare warranty is voided. I'm out of the country often for work and don't have the hands on time to make these kinds of repairs.
FWIIW, I do my own repairs and have modded my Jeep out of any extended warranties. If I were in your shoes, I am the guy that would pay $500 just to make the dealer cover a $200 warranty based on honor and word. If it is covered you should not have to pay for it again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
For $219 you could have gotten a better aftermarket product for all 4 corners. Now you have one good shock and three trashed shocks. Have fun riding in your F'd up suspension geometry now... bruh.

Could of found some “like new” factory takeoffs for free. Takes about ten minutes to change a shock out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,143 Posts
I have a 2013 JKUR with 158K miles on the clock. I bought it new and purchased the Mopar MaxCare lifetime warranty at that time. Last week I took it to my local dealer to have some issues taken care of, specifically; front wheel bearing, ABS wheel sensor, leaking rear shock and the e-brake was non-operational.

Dealer says all was covered with the exception of the leaking rear shock as that is a wear and tear item. I called FCA as the MaxCare contract clearly states that shocks are covered. Called dealer back and service adviser says "after 130K miles, the shocks are considered a wear and tear item and are not covered".

I called FCA because NOWHERE in ANY documentation I can find the 130K miles limit mentioned. The dealer just pulled this number out of his a$$ as far as I can tell. The rep there puts me on hold for like 10 minutes then comes back and says I must refer to my owner's manual - specifically, the maintenance tables. She says anything listed there for regular maintenance is considered wear and tear. I got the distinct impression she was really unclear on what she was telling me....she kept putting me on old to find answers. I decide to study the manual for a night before I ask any more questions. I can't find any mention of shocks in the manual so I call FCA again the next day. This time I get a rep who pulled the R.O. from the dealer and says "well - the dealer didn't request authorization to cover the leaking shock because had he, we would've". The rep said they would reimburse me so I sent in all the paperwork but I'm like why the hell would my dealer SA feed me that BS?! Anybody else get this run around involving a MaxCare warranty. Really pisses me off because when they sold me the warranty, their sales tagline was "If it's mechanical - it's COVERED". No mention of mileage limits.
Do you have an account on Mopar.com? If you don't, I suggest registering and having your MaxCare Lifetime warranty in hand when you take your Jeep in for warranty service. I would have taken this dispute directly to the service manager before paying the bill -- or at least before authorizing service repairs.

I have the same year Jeep and warranty. This is clearly covered under MaxCare Lifetime warranty... (see attached).

I guess the question remains, is it a good practice to replace only one shock after 150K miles? The dealer (mechanic) was probably trying to do you a favor by refusing to replace only one shock under warranty...

If I was in your shoes, I go buy three new shocks and replace the old ones -- your tires will love you for that decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
130K ?? That's progress, I'm surprised they'd warranty a shock past 90K. I must be getting old.

I guess it pays to be incredibly cheap - when my Liberty's factory rear shocks went sour at 20K I installed a lift kit because I figured the dealership wouldn't replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to post an update on the MaxCare warranty issue not covering my lone leaking shock. I wrote FCA and was reimbursed for the entire amount, AND, got 4 new shocks from the dealer installed free. Turns out a dealer can't tell you some parts are considered "wear and tear after 130K miles". That language is nowhere in the contract and was totally arbitrary and just pulled out of the dealer's ass. FCA coming through was exactly the way I thought I'd be treated when I bought the MaxCare plan. It's also why I kept the JK relatively stock - I can drive the jeep until it's all of but worthless and get new components. And let's face it, a stock JK Rubicon is pretty goddamn capable in stock trim. Happy New Year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts