Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On both of my Jeep Wave oil changes the dealer invoice lists,
5.0 GOLDCOAST SAE 5W30 API SN

Does anyone know what this brand is? And should I be worried about 5-30 over the recommended 0-20?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Several people use 5w30 but I stick to 0w20. Gold Coast oil is of interest. I'd ask the dealer for the spec sheet for Gold Coast showing where it meets Chrysler's MS-6395 specification. I suspect they won't and it doesn't. FCA is in bed with Pennzoil for the spec and I still believe they don't consider Mobil 1 as meeting the spec. I can't imagine some off brand meeting the spec. I can't seem to find much on Gold Coast other than one distributor claiming they supply this "value" oil.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That cheep product they're using is not in your best interest. Oil is the life blood of your vehicle. The dealer is skimping on the oil they use to save them a couple of bucks per oil change.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Wrong oil/wrong recommended weight by far - call the service manager and have it rectified. Any push back and notify FCA/Jeep Cares etc.

That's on them make sure that's how it goes.

Right is right and Wrong is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
that is correct oil for a 2.0L according to the manual page 463. API SN and 5-30. If 3.6L get it changed.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
that is correct oil for a 2.0L according to the manual page 463. API SN and 5-30. If 3.6L get it changed.
Forgot about that motor :)

I got a little leery when the dealer did this....
IMG_20190927_123355.jpg

Next time I'm under the Jeep I'm gonna look for; "Righty tighty - Lefty loosey"

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you have a 3.6 it is definitely the wrong oil. If you have a 2.0 it takes 5w30 but there are currently very few oils that meet the specs so it may still be wrong. I never understand people going to dealers for oil changes. Even for free it is not worth it. It is always better to do your own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have a 3.6 it is definitely the wrong oil. If you have a 2.0 it takes 5w30 but there are currently very few oils that meet the specs so it may still be wrong. I never understand people going to dealers for oil changes. Even for free it is not worth it. It is always better to do your own.
This. So, this.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Contact Dealer - Ser mgr request corrective action and that they install MOPAR Oil.. they should have in stock as warranty work requires.. If they push back.. here is Jeep Owner Relations:
1-877-426-5337

If you have questions about our products or would like to contact Jeep® directly, please use the “Contact Us” option from our Jeep.com website. Within the United States, you can also speak to us directly 1-877-IAM-JEEP (1-877-426-5337).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately I don't have a place to change it on my own. The building I live in frowns upon vehicle maintenance in the garage. I could probably pull it off, but dealing with the used oil and a drain pan is messy and I don't want to store that in the Jeep.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contact Dealer - Ser mgr request corrective action and that they install MOPAR Oil.. they should have in stock as warranty work requires.. If they push back.. here is Jeep Owner Relations:
1-877-426-5337

If you have questions about our products or would like to contact Jeep® directly, please use the “Contact Us” option from our Jeep.com website. Within the United States, you can also speak to us directly 1-877-IAM-JEEP (1-877-426-5337).
I'll call the dealer and see what happens. I wish they would just let me use a service bay for 20 mins.

As a side note- they did rotate the tires how I wanted (5 tire) and put them at 32psi as requested!

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
The 5W30 I'd be happy about, the cheap bulk oil would set me off.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
An oil change thread.... probably thee most debated single topic ever in the history of Forums.
It is irrelevant whether opinions vary on make/viscosity/brand/how often/whatever...

The point that DOES matter "IS" - When a Customer of Jeep goes to a dealer service department for Jeep service and the Jeep manual specifies XYZ to be done in a manner that satisfies the warranty and engineers then it should damn well be done perfectly AND in line with the stipulations specified.
No if ands or buts......period.

IF the guy paying the car payment wants to pay the freight and turn the wrench for his own oil change then it's on him to do it whatever way he chooses.....

Not complicated nor debatable stuff.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a place to change it on my own. The building I live in frowns upon vehicle maintenance in the garage. I could probably pull it off, but dealing with the used oil and a drain pan is messy and I don't want to store that in the Jeep.
I understand it is not as easy depending on where you live. The place I lived before buying my current house would not let you do oil changes either. I don't know if it is an option for you or not, but I went to parents or friends houses to do my maintenance during that time.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I understand it is not as easy depending on where you live. The place I lived before buying my current house would not let you do oil changes either. I don't know if it is an option for you or not, but I went to parents or friends houses to do my maintenance during that time.
Good times.... I used to say to my Wife, "Don't worry babe. I know you miss them But.....based on how they were raised You will see them at least every 3,000 miles!"

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good times.... I used to say to my Wife, "Don't worry babe. I know you miss them But.....based on how they were raised You will see them at least every 3,000 miles!"
I do have access to a pole barn with a lift, it's only 2500 miles away. Only problem the oil would need changing soon as I got back.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I do have access to a pole barn with a lift, it's only 2500 miles away. Only problem the oil would need changing soon as I got back.
That would actually make a good Seinfeld episode. Cramer and Newman of course.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts