Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2013 Wrangler and it is under factory warranty. I was told today I have water in the rear differential. Reason.... I drove through water that was to deep and it came in through a vent tube. ?!?!?!?!? Really???

The Service Department tech told me this.... Am I really that dumb... I hate to ask but could this even be possible?

I'm pissed that they want me to pay $190.00 to drain and refill when they are the ONLY mechanics that have touched this vehicle since buying it new from them NEW. I guess I need to go through JEEP themselves to dispute this. Any options or has ANYONE heard of such a thing? I mean really, they put a tube on the rear end but tell us of its AMAZING "Water FORGING" capabilities?

This should be covered under warranty as the Plug appears to be leaking from last oil change/inspection and I am told I have to pay for it out of pocket... Im going Back to the dealership and confront the Service Manager and have HIM show me this tube.... To top it off...I wasn't given ANY military incentives that were are available to vets. I think this relationship with this dealer is coming to and abrupt close the more I type.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You didn't state if you have been driving through water or not. Were you having problems with your differential or why did the dealer inspect it? It is possible for water to enter the differential through the breather tube and create a murky mess inside and the warranty does not cover it.

You can do the service yourself and it will be less expensive and does't require many tools.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could change the oil yourself or price shop a bit. Fluids aren't generally covered under warranty. My front axle had some water Contamination from a few water crossings. Cost me about $50 in fluids to do front and rear myself.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I have 2013 Wrangler and it is under factory warranty. I was told today I have water in the rear differential. Reason.... I drove through water that was to deep and it came in through a vent tube. ?!?!?!?!? Really???

The Service Department tech told me this.... Am I really that dumb... I hate to ask but could this even be possible?

I'm pissed that they want me to pay $190.00 to drain and refill when they are the ONLY mechanics that have touched this vehicle since buying it new from them NEW. I guess I need to go through JEEP themselves to dispute this. Any options or has ANYONE heard of such a thing? I mean really, they put a tube on the rear end but tell us of its AMAZING "Water FORGING" capabilities?

This should be covered under warranty as the Plug appears to be leaking from last oil change/inspection and I am told I have to pay for it out of pocket... Im going Back to the dealership and confront the Service Manager and have HIM show me this tube.... To top it off...I wasn't given ANY military incentives that were are available to vets. I think this relationship with this dealer is coming to and abrupt close the more I type.
It is absolutely possible and happens all the time. Any time you FORD water, you risk ingestion. Changing the fluid in your differentials is simple and inexpensive and should be part of your normal maintenance schedule.

If you didn't receive a military discount when you purchased the vehicle, that's YOUR fault for not mentioning it.

·
Registered
194 Posts

See this product:

Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit for JKs

This stinks, but it is the way the Jeep is designed...getting some tubes like what I just pasted is the solution...and is what is on my Jeep.

If you drive over the top of the breathe tubes, you are very likely SOL and you don't have a warranty claim....at least you did not hydrolock.....190 is bad, but it could have been way more. Do get it fixed asap - it is not a hard job but it stink. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Factory warranty does not cover drowning your jeep...if water indeed got in through the breather tube you were in to deep. Best check the front diff also, and probably your tranny if it's an auto. And be thankful it didn't hydro lock.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
From the manual...

After crossing any water higher than the bottom of the axle differentials, you should inspect all of the vehicle fluids for signs of water ingestion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You didn't state if you have been driving through water or not. Were you having problems with your differential or why did the dealer inspect it? It is possible for water to enter the differential through the breather tube and create a murky mess inside and the warranty does not cover it.

You can do the service yourself and it will be less expensive and does't require many tools.
Yes I have driven through water nothing major or standing in it but yes still.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could change the oil yourself or price shop a bit. Fluids aren't generally covered under warranty. My front axle had some water Contamination from a few water crossings. Cost me about $50 in fluids to do front and rear myself.
Yeah 50 in fluids at parts store

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is absolutely possible and happens all the time. Any time you FORD water, you risk ingestion. Changing the fluid in your differentials is simple and inexpensive and should be part of your normal maintenance schedule.

If you didn't receive a military discount when you purchased the vehicle, that's YOUR fault for not mentioning it.
So when I showed my military ID that wasn't proof enough. I mean that is NOT mentioning it? WOW should have actually spoke the words.,.. IM A MILITARY VETERAN!!! that would remove ALL doubt!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See this product:

Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit for JKs

This stinks, but it is the way the Jeep is designed...getting some tubes like what I just pasted is the solution...and is what is on my Jeep.

If you drive over the top of the breathe tubes, you are very likely SOL and you don't have a warranty claim....at least you did not hydrolock.....190 is bad, but it could have been way more. Do get it fixed asap - it is not a hard job but it stink. ;)

Good luck.
Thanx JCB... I appreciate that info... I would have done this when I lifted it... Didnt think to extend before lift

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Factory warranty does not cover drowning your jeep...if water indeed got in through the breather tube you were in to deep. Best check the front diff also, and probably your tranny if it's an auto. And be thankful it didn't hydro lock.
It was checked by the dealership... Im hoping they checked them all.
HAHAHAH

1 - 20 of 40 Posts