Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 45k on the clock, I have really only taken my Jeep to the service department where I bought. The place has really gone downhill and the last time I brought it in, I was debating ever going back there again.

About a month ago I got an e-mail that there was a new service manager there. So I was due for an oil change last and decided to give it one more try.

I get there for the mopar express lane oil change. Go to the counter to check in and there were a couple ahead of me. I was off, so no big deal. About 45 minutes later the service adviser comes out to me and says the recommended service at 45k - 50k is to drain and replace the brake fluid because it can get contaminated and corrode the brake lines and the power steering fluid because it can do the same...

I politely said no thank you and that I just had time for the oil change.

After, I check the owners manual - there is no mention of these. Is this service department blowing smoke up my you know what?

I think I'm now done with them. Not to mention they are now charging $50 for the oil change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, they are blowing smoke.. However, you SHOULD change your brake fluid, that is not a myth.

The fluid is hydroscopic, or in other words will absorb water from the air. Water in the fluid will cause it to not work as well, and COULD cause rusting (even though that really isn't a concern I would have.)

In my experience change it based on time or behavior driving behavior.

Time, as in.. every so many years replace the brake fluid. (In the old days before ABS, it was easy to do when you did a brake job..) With the new ABS pumps it's a bit more complex, but still possible to do.

I usually swap mine every other brake job, or about 5-7 years. (Humid climates should do it more often, dry climates may be less often.)

Behavior wise... if you do a lot of things that could get the brake reservoir to possibly get water in it (unlikely), then you definitely need to service it more often. Also those who do a lot of heavy breaking (big tires, fast speeds, hauling trailers) may need to change it more often as well to keep the braking performance up.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Changing the brake and power steering fluid about every 5 years is a good idea. That is how often I do mine. I would not have anything done at a dealer though, I suggest doing your own maintenance including oil changes.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I can change the oil in my garage in way less than 45 minutes. I know it was done right and I don't have to listen to some greedy service "advisor" try and upsell unneeded repairs/service so he can get a bigger paycheck.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
The dealers always try to squeeze in stuff here and there. I do go to the dealer for oil changes because I pay $90 for 3 synthetic oil changes and 5 tire rotations every time (coupon deal from mopar online). Although they never told me about the brake fluid/and power steering fluid, they did inform me to change my diff fluid so i'm doing that next month with a regear.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I stopped going to the dealers for service when they told me my cabin air filter was dirty and needed to be replaced (for a nominal charge of 44.99) - yet, the only problem with that is that, my Jeep did not have a cabin air filter in it - so, I called him on his lie and that was it. Never got that survey, either...

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I stopped going to the dealers for service when they told me my cabin air filter was dirty and needed to be replaced (for a nominal charge of 44.99) - yet, the only problem with that is that, my Jeep did not have a cabin air filter in it - so, I called him on his lie and that was it. Never got that survey, either...

How was his reaction?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Actually the thing to worry about more over rust (aluminum + rubber lines anyway??) is that after about several years the brake fluid could conceivably be more water than brake fluid by volume; higher water content increases the risk for the water to boil/vaporize every time you brake. One hard brake creating a high enough pressure and the water will boil to steam and boom: no more pressure, no more breaks, your done.

This could happen long before any rusting becomes an issue.

Change your brake fluid at decent intervals.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
with exception to oil every 5,000 miles, I change all fluids every 30,000 miles. but then again I do a lot of the work myself or use a guy around the corner with a lift who charges $40/hr cash to do whatever car work that has to be done

·
Registered
899 Posts
How was his reaction?
Hah - he fumbled through it, and tried to say that's what he meant - that he would suggest putting one in there for cabin air filtration - yet, he came in the waiting area with a dirty air filter.

I politely declined, had the work done, and haven't been back to that place since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts