Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I was down at the dealer Saturday. They didn't have a basic sport model JKU on the lot so they are trying to locate one and do a dealer swap/trade. How long do these kind of deals usually take? I haven't heard back, left a message, no call back. The thing is the JKU I want is about 40 miles away but this dealer is in competition for the #1 spot with this other dealer. So they told me there's no way that dealer will swap with them.
:atomic:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Call the other dealer and set up a time to test drive. If you like it and can get a good price, get it there. Then they can get number one. Screw the other dealer for not wanting to talk to their competition. Warranty work can be done at any jeep dealership. So that shouldnt worry you.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hey Guys,
I was down at the dealer Saturday. They didn't have a basic sport model JKU on the lot so they are trying to locate one and do a dealer swap/trade. How long do these kind of deals usually take? I haven't heard back, left a message, no call back. The thing is the JKU I want is about 40 miles away but this dealer is in competition for the #1 spot with this other dealer. So they told me there's no way that dealer will swap with them.
:atomic:
Your choice. 40 Minutes is not all that far away, so you could go there directly. I'd give your local dealer one more shot. Call them, make sure you talk to someome live, tell them you need to hear back by Friday or you are taking yoru business elsewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. I called again a little while ago. It's the sales guy day off. Starting to get pissed off now. Can't go to the other car dealer until Saturday. I'll tell the guy I'm coming by to get my deposit back Saturday morning ($500).

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dealer took about a week to complete the dealer trade for my JKU. How the trade works out depends on the dealer with the vehicle that you want. They could just ask your dealer to buy it from them. They could also ask your dealer to trade a totally different Jeep model for your JKU.

If your dealer buys it, then your dealer cuts a check and the other dealer gets the paperwork ready. The same with a trade. Both dealers will cut each other a check because the vehicle price is not exactly the same between the two vehicles being traded. One of the dealers might need some extra time to have someone cut and sign the check.

My dealer told me to avoid contacting the other dealer about the JKU that I wanted, before they could complete the trade. The other dealer might not want to trade it because some customer of theirs (me), was asking about it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
So you placed a $500 deposit for a non-specific unit? Oh boy...

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Good point. I called again a little while ago. It's the sales guy day off. Starting to get pissed off now. Can't go to the other car dealer until Saturday. I'll tell the guy I'm coming by to get my deposit back Saturday morning ($500).

Yeah and? Why is it your issue the "sales guy" has a day off? You're the customer, talk to a different guy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So you placed a $500 deposit for a non-specific unit? Oh boy...
I remember back in 97, I was looking for something a little more "civilized" that my YJ(girlfriend thought it was too frat boyish), so I went to a Toyota dealer and put down $1,500 on a 4Runner(manual trans- they had to find one), driving home from the Toyota dealer I passed a Jeep dealership and saw a brand new 1997 Desert Sand Sahara on their lot, made a U-turn, drove in and bought it.

Called the Toyota dealer the next day and said I didn't want the Toyota anymore, they said they found one it will take 2 weeks for me to get it, I said I don't want it, after 5 minutes of back and forth I just told him I bought a Wrangler that same night, keep the $1,500.

Also got a new girlfriend, and she liked the new Jeep.

Put down $2,000 blind on the 2007 JK, didn't see it, didn't drive it, wanted it.

Couple of months ago I put $3,000 blind on my 2015 JK Unlimited, submitted an inquiry online, a salesman called me a couple of days later, told him I wanted a Sahara no options, he gave me a price that I could not refuse, it also had a few nice options.

He said he wanted a deposit, I told him take it off my CC, and I will buy, but only if it was really a Sahara Unlimited, at that price I thought for sure it had to be a 2dr, most salesmen don't really know their Wrangler

He emailed me the VIN and specs, I got the build sheet online, sure enough it was an unlimited.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
after 5 minutes of back and forth I just told him I bought a Wrangler that same night, keep the $1,500.
I hate giving away my hard earned money, that is why I'm against non-refundable deposits.

Last year I ordered a '14 JKU Willys. I made sure the signed contract made mention of a refudnable deposit. Jeep was built, showed up, had to back out of the deal last minute and I got my $500.00 back, I am sure the dealer did not care since my ordered jeep sold like in 2-3 days after I told them I would not take delivery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unfortunately buying a car is not always a pleasant experience. Just remember YOU are the customer. They make a living off YOUR money. Like somebody else said, it's not your problem it's the sales guy's day off. You don't need to make friends with these guys because they are trying to squeeze every penny they can out if you and use every tactic in the playbook to do it. Shop around, even internet shop. If you're financing, try and set it up ahead of time with a bank or credit union. Don't let these guys bullshit you, it's just business

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah and? Why is it your issue the "sales guy" has a day off? You're the customer, talk to a different guy.
I am a sales person for a ford dealer in va and People like you are such a pain in the ass. After spending time with a customer then the customer buys from a fellow sales person is a slap in the face. We work long hours as it is. You have days off right so why can we not?

·
Registered
115 Posts
You have days off right so why can we not?
You can have a day off, you probably deserve it. We all do. But what about providing customer service? When I take a day off, I have to identify a backup person to act on my behalf. The business does not stop just because I am not at work. That is just good customer service.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sell iPhones

I am a sales person for a ford dealer in va and People like you are such a pain in the ass. After spending time with a customer then the customer buys from a fellow sales person is a slap in the face. We work long hours as it is. You have days off right so why can we not?
You need to sell iPhones, it cost Apple $300 to make, they sell it for no less than $700, people don't even haggle, but when people are buying stuff like cars they ain't want to pay a penny over invoice, go figure.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You need to sell iPhones, it cost Apple $300 to make, they sell it for no less than $700, people don't even haggle, but when people are buying stuff like cars they ain't want to pay a penny over invoice, go figure.
Haggling is an understatement. I had a customer looking a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost. The MSRP was like 32,XXX. He offered 28,500 OTD and got mad when we couldnt do that. Yeah there really isnt as much mark up in new vehicles compared to things such as jewelry and furniture. This job makes me want to go to a steak house and be like I know it says this ribeye is $20 but ill pay $12 for it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I am a sales professional as well. That's the nature of our business. If you're not at work you can't get paid. Why should a customer be loyal to you. You know damn well you have no loyalty to them, only their check book.

If you are working with a customer that left without buying it's incumbent upon you to let them know when you will be available and how to get in touch with you. The sales person in the OP's case should have given him a card and told him when he would be there and when he would not. He should also have told him that he would make himself available if the customer would give him some notice. This is sales 101. Always get something. If you don't get the sale then at least get the commitment that he wil contact you before making any decisions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought a JKUR. The dealer did a swap with an out of state dealer so I could get the color I wanted.

They had a few other JKURs on the lot. Most sold while I was waiting for the transfer (just a few days). I think the warranty reduction in the 2016 caused a small frenzy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Guys,
So I just got a hold of him about an hour ago. He seemed off guard. I asked him what was going on with the swap. He said last time he heard they were still trying to locate a vehicle. He said he was going to get off the phone and talk to the guy and call me back.

Just called me back and said the manager said they have it there. He's going to deliver another vehicle to another customer then go find it and get it ready. I'm still not 100% convinced everything is in place until I'm driving off the lot. I have major trust issues with dealers from being burned in the past.

The $500 I put down is refundable. I'm not putting any cash down, just my trade. The sales manager wanted money down as a show of commitment on my part. He said he's not going to go purchase a $28,000 jeep from another dealer without knowing I'm 100% certain.

I ended up getting a Tank Green JKU Sport. Base package only option is the automatic tranny. Roll up windows and soft top, 16in wheels. I couldn't afford one with more options. Any of you guys have roll up windows or am I the only one, lol?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just called me back and said the manager said they have it there. He's going to deliver another vehicle to another customer then go find it and get it ready.
So you have to call the salesman and remind him to do his job to sell you the vehicle you requested and put a deposit on days ago?:rant:

Geez how long does it take to do a dealer swap with a dealer located 40 miles away?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine took a week. I too got the run around from my salesman and the finance guy. Worst new car buying experience ever. I'm still dealing with their crap too, as my old loan hasn't been paid off yet. This has been going on since August 4. Of course, the bank pulled another payment last week on the old loan....money that was earmarked for the new Jeep. I'll eventually get that money back, but it's creating a burden here for awhile.

Mine is a basic Sport model too. Roll up windows, no power locks, standard transmission, soft top, and the cheap radip. Only option is AC, which was a must for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts