Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at 32,000 miles on my 2010 JK. I had it in a few weeks ago for an oil change. I asked the service manager for a price on the maintenance service that I am due for. I think it is recommended at 30,000 to check/change the differential and manual transmission fluids. When he printed out the schedule, it also said, "Change the manual trans fluid if using your vehicle for "trailer towing, snow plowing, heavy loading, taxi, police, delivery service (commercial service), off-road, desert operation or more than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C)". He knows me well and he knows my usage (daily driver here in NY with no off roading, towing, etc..) He has always been straight with me and trust worthy. He said there is no need for me to do any service in his opinion. He said the print out was just based on mileage and not concerned about years.

Dealerships in general typically have the stereotype of recommending unnecessary things and sometimes just doing certain things to get business. Does it seem unusual that he would be conservative here? I have a patient who owns a garage and has been building engines, doing gear work for many years. He recommends changing the fluids which I plan on doing anyway.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't get the point of your post , you said he knows you well and gave you his opinion on your services

If you don't trust him then take it somewhere else or just do it anyways , you actually found a good guy at a dealer and you still question him

About the only thing you need done is diffs and you can do that yourself for way cheaper

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get the point of your post , you said he knows you well and gave you his opinion on your services

If you don't trust him then take it somewhere else or just do it anyways , you actually found a good guy at a dealer and you still question him

About the only thing you need done is diffs and you can do that yourself for way cheaper
Wow, take it easy man. All I was asking was if this was unusual for a dealer to talk someone out of a service that many on here would say should be done. A lot of folks here say to change the fluids at 30,000 as it is a good investment if you want to keep your JK for a long while. I was just looking for thoughts from those more experienced than me on this forum.:bop:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Wow, take it easy man. All I was asking was if this was unusual for a dealer to talk someone out of a service that many on here would say should be done. A lot of folks here say to change the fluids at 30,000 as it is a good investment if you want to keep your JK for a long while. I was just looking for thoughts from those more experienced than me on this forum.:bop:
I think it is unusual, but there are honest and competent dealers out there. I bought my JK from one. I would change those fluids anyway. I initially changed the fluids on my 10 at 15,000 and I went with synthetic for everything. I would definately change them at 30,000. I would stick with that dealer. It's nice to hear that good ones are out there. It's actually better for them to be honest. Some have figured that out, but I don't think a lot have.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
Yup, this only underscores how little trust dealers in general have.

It's kind of sad, don't you think?

Many, many years ago I worked in sales for a well reputed CDJ dealership, and even there you could still come across questionable issues, particularly on the sales floor.

One time I sold a clean, used, out of warranty Dodge Dynasty to a nice, humble, recent immigrant family. They came back two days later: the engine had died and our service dept wanted $2,000 to fix it. My sales manager was adamant that the vehicle had no warranty; I interceded reminding my manager that only two days ago they paid us thousands of dollars for a vehicle we told them was I great shape. I elevated it to the dealer owner: he agreed to repair the car at cost; the money would come out of the deal, and the customer would have to pay $600 for the parts. The poor couple was thrilled! Even if most of that money came off my commission, I was happy for them. It was the right thing to do.

In the year I worked there, I also saw many customers lie through their teeth, a couple of times costing the dealer a lot of money. One time we discovered that the XJ we took in for in trade for $5,000 (in 1990s money) had NO oil in the engine; another, a Thunderbird we took in for $12,000 turned out to have a salvage title and was worth 1/3 that.

All around it's much more difficult to get away with things today, with Carfax, etc..

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Eventually I elevated it to the dealer owner: he agreed to repair the car at cost; the money would come out of the deal, and the customer would have to pay $600 for the parts. The poor couple was thrilled! Even if most of that money came off my commission, I was happy for them. It was the right thing to do.
The world needs more people like you. Unfortunately, they are becoming harder to find.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
The world needs more people like you. Unfortunately, they are becoming harder to find.
Thanks. There are lots of honest people in the business, but we tend to remember the bad experiences the most.

In the end, it is a tough way to make a living; the decent individuals eventually find something else to do.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Your service rep only made a recommendation. You accept it or not. But if you're concerned then have the fluids changed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just to add another perspective .... I think sometimes, mechanics are so sensitive to all the complaints about the high cost of service work, they lean too far towards NOT recommending service.

I used to have a Toyota that I took to a local shop. Everyone I knew held the place in high regard and I used to think the owner was a really honest, knowledgable guy. But over time, I found I learned more about my car than he knew. On multiple occasions, I requested service from him that he tried to "do me a favor" and recommend NOT doing to "save me wasted money". And each time, it screwed me over.

For example, I started noticing problems with the car "missing" under hard acceleration or at highway speeds. I told him I thought it probably needed new spark plugs, but he said "No... definitely not. It has platinum plugs that are good for 100k miles." Finally bought plugs mail order and did them myself and guess what? It was the plugs. (I was at 85k miles or so.)

Later on, I was concerned about a problem the message forums had revealed where the head gasket wasn't torqued sufficiently and would cause leaks. I told him what I'd learned and asked if he could do the re-torque procedure for me. He declined, again claiming it wasn't needed and he didn't believe the people on the internet knew what they were talking about.

Guess what? Developed a head gasket leak shortly after that, and it had ALL the symptoms of the ones people ran into who had the insufficient head bolt torque problem. (Temperature gauge suddenly rising to hot and then right back down to the normal range while driving.... bubbles in the coolant overflow tank after a drive, etc.)

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
My Jeep and I certainly understand your distrust in Jeep dealers specifically. Since 2009 when Chrysler shut down a bunch of Jeep dealerships and merged them with Chrysler dealers the service at shall I say "maybe not all but definitely a noticeable amount of dealers" continues to be poor. Hopefully as the volume of Jeeps sold continues to grow this situation will change.

Regarding the service, there is nothing wrong with your service manager's recommendation. After all it is just a recommendation.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thanks. There are lots of honest people in the business, but we tend to remember the bad experiences the most. In the end, it is a tough way to make a living; the decent individuals eventually find something else to do.
You hit that one on the head. Over 20 years and if I could find a different career I would. This business has become unethical and pretty sad in general. Plus it would be nice to have Saturday's off, lol.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Changing the oil in your diff's is over rated! On my last Super Duty, I had the rear diff serviced at 60000 mi, of which over 30000 were towing in excess of 12000 lb....the service writer called me and said the old oil looked just like the new and asked if I wanted to re-use it. I figure on my new one, I will look at it when I get to 100000 mi!
In my JEEP, when I regeared, I changed the oil after 500 mi and now after a few thousand, it still looks like new!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Changing the oil in your diff's is over rated! On my last Super Duty, I had the rear diff serviced at 60000 mi, of which over 30000 were towing in excess of 12000 lb....the service writer called me and said the old oil looked just like the new and asked if I wanted to re-use it. I figure on my new one, I will look at it when I get to 100000 mi!
In my JEEP, when I regeared, I changed the oil after 500 mi and now after a few thousand, it still looks like new!
Superduty rear differential fluid exchange is at 100,000 mile interval on my F350. This is one thing I have not done in advance of the scheduled interval.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think it is recommended at 30,000 to check/change the differential and manual transmission fluids
The key word there is CHECK the fluids, not necessarily change them.

Unless you are using the vehicle in very extreme conditions you can probably drive the vehicle until it falls apart around you and never have a problem with either of these even if you never change the fluids.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Occasionally you'll find someone honest. Consider yourself lucky! I'm from NY can you mention the dealership, or PM it to me? Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts