Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's taken my local dealer parts guy 3 weeks to come up with a package retailing for $39.25, in response to my inquiry about repairing the new THIS season Wet Front Floors issue.

My 2008JK has never gotten wet before this season. After reading multiple threads and inspecting carefully, it appeared the 3x2" foam seal at the B pillar between the Freedom Top & the upper window rail, was worn considerably and probably needed replacement.

It's a hour drive each way to the only dealer than has been helpful in the past, so I try to do my business there.

After a long 3 weeks wait, the parts guy calls to talk about what he's learned.

So I go get his box o'goodies.....which consists of a small baggie with about 18 different size/shapes/types of rubber seals labeled Foam Kit 68026937AB.

He also kindly provides the TSB numbered 23-010-13, which is 18 pages of photographs, parts list w/#s and description of symptom/condition PLUS a detailed list of tools needed & a PROCEDURE to install each bit of foam!!!

On the way out of the parts dept, I stopped by the 'service dept' to discuss the very subjects noted by the parts guy. Contrary to his assertion, they told me they avoided doing any such repair as making the problem go away and having a happy customer with a dry Jeep was rare. In any case, they didn't want to get involved with the project.

In any case, since I'm still basking in the satisfaction of fixing a squeak the Jeep Body Shop was loathe to touch, I am not yet annoyed. Much.

Thinking we made major headway, I took the parts & headed on some other errands. Along the way I had to wait for a time, so broke out and read the TSB.

I was shocked to read on -2- this:

"Diagnosis:
NOTE: When the door is open, if there is water run off from the roof, it can soak the carpet. Be sure to explain to the customer that this condition cannot be repaired. This is an unfortunate condition with this type of vehicle, similar to convertibles."

There are details on how to water test the seals, & a bunch of excellent tech help, despite this revelation noted above.

In my case, well into the 4th monsoon season of the PNW since I bought this used, was the FIRST such occurrence.

One has to imagine there is some kind of rational explanation after so many dry years.

In studying the TSB and photos of the foam seals, I noted NONE of them seemed to be specifically the exact one on the B pillar noted here above and in other threads.

Call back to the parts guy, who seems authentically interested, and says he will call the Corporate guy he talked with before who seemed to understand this problem.

Stay tuned.:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
That comment is funny. I mean I've never seen it mentioned. "Roof run-off"

I drove a Tj for over 10 years and never got soaked entering the jeep.
I have leeks on the passenger side, which I can deal with. The ruff off is annoying. What I try and so. Shake the jeep grabbing from the top. Get all that standing water to stream off.

I'm no engineer but all they would have to do is design a longer lip. Incorporate more of a channel for water to run off. This will also allow the water to be lead away from the top of the door, then on to you ... If you have a bad seal, into the jeep. 2 birds with 1 stone :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of my own success hitherto on avoid the dread 'roof run off' has resulted from parking at a slight tilt of the rig to one side or the other.

Since my drive way has plenty of slope I can pick any from mild to marked.

And some of the 'run off' is unavoidable as the neutral drip line from the Freedom Top side panel is directly onto the kick-panel/side rail whatever you call it. Once water is on that flat surface it can run outside or inside. During heavy monsoons I can open the door and see sheets of water doing that very thing. Leaning the rig 5 degrees to the left means that sheet falls on the outside.

'Wet floor' is something my previous non-Jeep convertibles could be expected to encounter regularly. That my floor has been essentially dry up to this season, indicates to me that something has changed....and it isn't 'roof run off'.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I did this to the missus' '09. Bought that kit, it is basically all the foam and 1 rubber gasket at the edge of the freedom panels. It did not replace anything on the A and B pillars. I had to work with the parts guy to get those. Smaller leak now. Put the hardtop from my '14 on it, no leaks. So I either misaligned the gaskets. or, the panels are warped. On the '13 and up hard tops there is a ridge that runs down the outside edge of the top. It does a better job of channeling some of the water away. On a downhill slope though, there's still some run off.

Jake, PNW? I had no idea we were neighbors.

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PNW? I had no idea we were neighbors.

Bob K.[/QUOTE]

....on the very slopes of the Oregon version of the Cascades.....

now then.....was the effort of doing the install worth the result? Or....'was the juice worth the squeeze'???

and "It did not replace anything on the A and B pillars. I had to work with the parts guy to get those. "
do you have a parts number handy??? Or contact info for your parts guy???

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
We need to go wheelin.

Service bulletin 23-005-09.

68065845AA Kit, cup seal header
68003655AB kit, Door rail seal 4 door or
68003645AB kit, Door rail seal 2 door

And then the foam kit you have.

The leaking dropped off to a few drops after the complete kit. I also replaced the door gaskets. 55395274AU and 55396275AU.

Doors are really hard to close once again.

Bob K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To avoid this problem in the future..... I will lift only one corner of my next jeep to make water run off in the least likely leaking area. Lol

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the #s, I will be doing follow up

I don't have any travel plans to go north of Columbia River, PDX is way plenty enough 'jaws of Hell' for me.

If you get down this way I've got a couple decent old logging roads to entertain.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Copy that Jake. You have been added to my wheelin' buddy list. If I ever get down that way I will drop you a message.

Bob K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts