Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 JK Sahara: Went for a normal oil change at the dealer and decided to have them rotate the tires since it was time and they only charge $20. When they were done I noticed that my spare hadn't been moved. WTF. Did they just scam me out of $20 thinking I wouldn't notice? I went back inside and mentioned that my spare hadn't been rotated. "Oh, we only do a 4 tire rotation." "But... but...", I stammered, "that doesn't make any sense!" The service tech said that it was their policy to only do 4 wheel rotations and will only perform a 5 wheel if asked. He also didn't seem keen on re-rotating the tires. I didn't press the issue and left.

When I got home from work, I re-rotated the tires (mentally undoing what they did, then rotating). (My youngest "helped" and that's when I realized I should have just done the rotation myself in the first place! It was great watching him figure out how the wheels came off and on and how I could lift the Jeep with one hand!)

Moral of the story, if you have the dealer rotate your tires, mention that you want a 5 wheel rotation! Heh, learn something new every day!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pretty sure any shop you go anywhere will only do a 4 tire rotation unless asked....not just the 'stupid dealer'......pretty sure they will charge more too, even if is does only add a few minutes since its a wrangler....

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Glad I go to DTD where my tire rotations (all five tires!) are free. :thumb:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I numbered my wheels. I then print out a copy of DTD's image for the rearward cross with spare (G).

Sometimes I do it myself if there's room at my apt. complex and time. Sometimes I have the dealership do it with my oil change which is where numbering the wheels comes in handy. :D

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
probably because they spend most of their day doing rotations on minivans and chargers and other lame vehicles that dont have a full size spare

·
Registered
108 Posts
Last time I was at the dealer getting my soft top bow replaced I also paid for a 5-tire rotation, but it turned out they didn't touch the spare. At least the soft top doesn't rattle anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
The dealer offers to do a tire rotation when we bring ours in for its free oil changes every 3 months. I think there's a small fee for the rotation but I always decline.

When I used to let them do it they'd tighten the lug nuts so tight I couldn't break them loose with an old torque wrench I keep around as a breaker bar. It was dialed up to 150 ft lbs and it would click before loosening the nut. I was afraid I'd snap a lug if I pressed any harder. The service manager assured me that they use a 100 ft lb breaker bar to torque each nut. I have my doubts.

Now I have an air compressor and I do my own 5-tire rotations every 5,000 miles. Plus, I'm meticulous about torquing each lug nut to 95 ft lbs.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
This should be nothing new. I've never heard of any dealer regardless of brand, or private shop, that does a 5 tire rotation unless it's requested.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I have had to have several damaged tires replaced, and I always go to Discount for the replacement. But even if the tire has not gone flat, I pull the tire and install the spare and take the tire to them for repair, then bring it home and install it myself. Discount does a five tire rotation even if you don't ask on a jeep. Problem is not only can they do the rotation wrong according to your own plan, a guy who drank too much coffe that day can over torque your spare mount and break the thing. It's made out of hot chicken fat you know. Its really just piece of mind not wondering if it was done the way/direction you wanted. I trust Discount but I just feel better doing it myself. Floor jack, torque wrench, 30 minutes, piece of mind, and free.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I numbered my wheels. I then print out a copy of DTD's image for the rearward cross with spare (G).

Sometimes I do it myself if there's room at my apt. complex and time. Sometimes I have the dealership do it with my oil change which is where numbering the wheels comes in handy. :D
I use the rearward cross pattern and this same picture which I printed out and put a copy in my owners manual. That point you made about numbering your wheels/tires is an excellent idea if someone else does the rotation:doh2: very good idea indeed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Moral of the story, if you have the dealer rotate your tires, mention that you want a 5 wheel rotation! Heh, learn something new every day!
I did that with mine at the first oil change and they still didn't do it. Did 4 and did not cross rotate either. :atomic:

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Maybe it's the law of minimum effort or maybe it's that a lot of vehicles don't have a full size spare but even many non-dealer shops have the same policy.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I do my own rotations... I do the rearward cross as well.

My wife took her Rav4 to the dealer for her free service (2 years). I told her to ask for a 5 tire rotation (she has a full size spare). She did, and she told me that the guy at the desk made her feel dumb by asking her why anyone would rotate 5 tires? The ended up doing only 4 tires. When she got home, she told me about. I went online, and printed off a copy of the Toyota service...which stated 4 tire rotations uness there is a full-size spare, then you do all 5. So basically, Toyota screwed up. I was going to send her back to have them rotate the 5th tire....but it was just easier for me to do it since I was rotating my own anyway.

Dealers can be idiots.

·
Registered
851 Posts
At my last oil change at the dealer, the service tech said I would be due for a rotation next time. I said oh great I want to do all 5. He said they normally don't do that so be sure to specify when I come back.

I use this pattern since tires change direction each time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad I saw this thread.. My wife called for an inspection/oil change/5 tire rotation and recall service on my 2014 JKU. Dealer asked why 5 tire, there will be uneven treadwear .

I have 9600 on the odometer .. Was planning on rotations every 10k. Should I do it more frequently because of the 5th tire?

I am gonna mark the tires so I can verify they were done correctly as well. I will be posses if they don't do the 5th-or do it right. I am on medical restrictions and cannot do it myself at this time

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Glad I saw this thread.. My wife called for an inspection/oil change/5 tire rotation and recall service on my 2014 JKU. Dealer asked why 5 tire, there will be uneven treadwear . I have 9600 on the odometer .. Was planning on rotations every 10k. Should I do it more frequently because of the 5th tire? I am gonna mark the tires so I can verify they were done correctly as well. I will be posses if they don't do the 5th-or do it right. I am on medical restrictions and cannot do it myself at this time
I'd mark your tires and print out the five tire rotation and give it to them.

What's the recall item for your 2014? I didn't know we had recalls already.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 9600 on the odometer .. Was planning on rotations every 10k. Should I do it more frequently because of the 5th tire?

Unless you plan on your tires lasting 50k miles, then yes you should. If you rotate every 10k, then each tire will have reached each spot after 50k miles. It's doubtful that your tires will last 50k, so he is correct, there will be even wear. I do it every oil change, which is every 5k.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Unless you plan on your tires lasting 50k miles, then yes you should. If you rotate every 10k, then each tire will have reached each spot after 50k miles. It's doubtful that your tires will last 50k, so he is correct, there will be even wear. I do it every oil change, which is every 5k.
Good point.. So would it make sense to rotate a little more frequently to get all 4 tires some time as the spare? Like at 2500, until I get to 20k and then do every 5k?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts