Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted your thoughts on having dealer flush my trans and change fluid. 40,000 miles on it now, just thought it might be a good idea as well as coolant flush. Worried about debris getting broke free and ending up where it shouldn't.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,010 Posts
My Dealer recommends in my 2013, that the auto transmission be flushed and new oil added at 30,000 miles. That is based on our extreme heat in the Phoenix area, plus mountain driving.

As for coolant, I will just follow the factories recommendations. But I haven't had any of the sand casting, and or incorrect antifreeze issues in my cooling system! I do pull my overflow bottle about every 6 months, and look for sediment in the bottom. Mine has always been clean, with just the correct purple OAT antifreeze!

OP, 40,000 miles sounds reasonable for your Michigan climate.IMO....:thumb:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My Dealer recommends in my 2013, that the auto transmission be flushed and new oil added at 30,000 miles. That is based on our extreme heat in the Phoenix area, plus mountain driving.

As for coolant, I will just follow the factories recommendations. But I haven't had any of the sand casting, and or incorrect antifreeze issues in my cooling system! I do pull my overflow bottle about every 6 months, and look for sediment in the bottom. Mine has always been clean, with just the correct purple OAT antifreeze!

OP, 40,000 miles sounds reasonable for your Michigan climate.IMO....:thumb:
X2. As long as they're also going to replace the filter, why not. Some dealers will just remove the fluid and then add. What's the point if the filter isn't going to be replaced. Your coolant is good for 10 yrs. or 150,000 miles. It's up to you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No towing or serious off roading, just snow, slush, and two tracks up north. I will see if they change the filter when they flush the trans. I assume they would. thanks guys

·
Registered
412 Posts
Make sure about the filter. "Most" trans flush is just that. They hook up a machine inline on a cooler line and at the same time remove and refill the fluid. I'd prefer a normal drop the pan, change the filter and refill for the first trans service. Then say like a year later do a flush.

·
Registered
33,931 Posts
I do my trans every 30,000 with the filter I have almost 80,000 on her now. I like to play it safe when it come to things like that.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,165 Posts
Everyone here is right. Regular changes and flushes on fluids will save you heartbreak and money in the long run. (but as others say, they should change the filter too).

I can't think of a reason not to.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just had this done at the dealer this past saturday. Quoted about 225$ labor +parts, i ended up having to replace the transpan because it was rusting and would eventually leak. Paid a total of $265 out the door in 2 hours. Always make sure they drop the pan and change the filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts