Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did the same-easy. Good mod. And then I installed a backup camera using the hitch. I cut a hole in a plastic end cap for the camera and ran wires back through the hitch and up into the Jeep. Obviously I can't tow anything with that backup camera in there, but I can remove it in about 1 minute if I ever must tow with jeep--and since I have Dodge Ram pickup truck and Ford Excursion, it is unlikely the Jeep will be the preferred tow vehicle.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Me too. Getting the nuts in was challenging due to limited space so I had to have the wife help with that one. Small hands made it much easier...but yeah...easy install, great value, nice kit overall**

**on my '17 there were no holes for the wiring harness to clip into..don't know if something changed over the years or not. Not a big deal, a few zip ties and all was good, but it did not just "install" as designed..

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just an observation.. Glad you're able to do this yourself, But does your wrangler have the trans cooler which is added when one purchases the Max tow package. If not, would there be an issues when towing based on your gearing or stressing the trans?. Asking cause even though we purchase the 3.73 gears we did not purchase the max tow.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Weird yours dont have hole? I have the 2017 JKUWW

Hmm..that is strange. Same exact JKUWW...I donno...?

I am talking about the holes that the wiring clips that run along the wiring loom should go into...you had those?

Perhaps someone assembled my hitch wiring wrong, nothing lined up there...

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Just an observation.. Glad you're able to do this yourself, But does your wrangler have the trans cooler which is added when one purchases the Max tow package. If not, would there be an issues when towing based on your gearing or stressing the trans?. Asking cause even though we purchase the 3.73 gears we did not purchase the max tow.
All autos come with a tranny cooler. The tow package is just hitch and wiring.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yep... That's exactly why I didn't get one when I ordered my HR. I got the exact same one without the harness for 49 bux. Got it for a cargo carrier.... not gonna pull a trailer. Solid little unit. Was really impressed with its build.

For those of you who want to install a receiver... If you have a HR don't buy one with the nuts welded to the unit. You don't need the supplied nuts or bolts when installing on the HR. Remove existing bolts in the frame, pull out the spacer between the bumper and frame, install receiver, run the bolts through the frame, and thread them into the threaded holes in the bumper. 20 min job.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You don't have to drop the bumper. A lot of fellows tape the nuts to the receiver, I just used vice grips to hold the nuts in place while I threaded the bolts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The Parts department and Service department of a dealership is usually where the largest amount of profit is generated.

Nice job on the hitch install.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The quadratec hitch has the bolts welded on much easier. Getting the bolts in is a little tricky. I used a pry bar to move the muffler and wiggle them in.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I think as a general rule, going repairs or mods yourself, is cheaper than paying someone, anyone , to do it for you. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
165 Posts
What more would I need to add/do if I wanted to install this on my 2015 bare bones Sport?
No exactly sure what your asking. The hitch comes with all the hardware needed. If you want trailer lights you need the plug and play harness. If you want to actually tow you need a tow hitch and ball. Make sure you get the right drop if you have a lift or are getting a lift. I needed a 10inch drop with 37's and 3.5 inch lift.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
I installed the Tyger also. No issues on the install of the hitch at all. I taped the nuts to a wrench and bolted it up. The only problem is the wiring harness was bad. They are sending me a new one. It all worked except the turn signal was indicated as out with the harness.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Got mine from Quadratec, too.

A 12 year old can install these things. Probably faster because his hands are smaller, lol.

I'm about to replace my bumpers. Just for kicks, I asked my buddy who works in parts for a local Jeep dealer what they would charge to do the swap. He wasn't sure but said he thought around $450 per bumper! I almost fainted. According to the videos and instructions, it should take about an hour to an hour and a half per bumper. And that's going slow but steady. You could probably do it in under a half hour with a gun to your head.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts