Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from my dealership saying they've got orders to fill for used Jeeps, and mine's on the list. They're offering above market value for it, plus 0% financing or cash back, and 'factory incentives.'

Obviously there's a few questions I need to get answered from them before I pull the trigger. Still, I'd save money on financing if I can land the 0% rate, plus a small bit on gas mileage. Also you know. 2013 Jeep.

I figure I'll give them a call and see what they offer. I don't need to trade in the 11, she's in great shape and I'm a wee bit attached. They'll have to offer some good stuff in order to convince me. I've also never had a dealer offer to buy back a vehicle after such a short time. Chevy was offering for my Saturn, but that was clearly only an effort to get me to buy a new car from them. How much profit is Jeep going to make if they pay above market value and offer cash back plus incentives?

Anyone done this before? Had a buyback offer and traded up? Is it BS?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Seen this before. The dealer sells you a new vehicle so they move inventory and make money off reselling your trade.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Eh go talk to them and tell them you want numbers in writing in the end before a decision is made. Then think about it and get what looks the best.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Check all your body panels and interior moldings for secret compartments. Sounds like the salesman just remembered which Jeep he stashed a brick of coke in...

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is a marketing gimmick where they send that email to all registered owners of the vehicles within a certain year range within a specified area. I worked in car sales for 6 years. This is just a way to get you in so they can hammer you on a ride. Besides, having you walking on the property creates activity which draws in more people. They won't give you anymore money for your ride then they normally would. If you are truly looking to trade, then check it out but don't expect your msrp for trade in value and 10k off the new one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got an email from my dealership saying they've got orders to fill for used Jeeps, and mine's on the list. They're offering above market value for it, plus 0% financing or cash back, and 'factory incentives.'

Obviously there's a few questions I need to get answered from them before I pull the trigger. Still, I'd save money on financing if I can land the 0% rate, plus a small bit on gas mileage. Also you know. 2013 Jeep.

I figure I'll give them a call and see what they offer. I don't need to trade in the 11, she's in great shape and I'm a wee bit attached. They'll have to offer some good stuff in order to convince me. I've also never had a dealer offer to buy back a vehicle after such a short time. Chevy was offering for my Saturn, but that was clearly only an effort to get me to buy a new car from them. How much profit is Jeep going to make if they pay above market value and offer cash back plus incentives?

Anyone done this before? Had a buyback offer and traded up? Is it BS?
Just a gimmick to get you in the showroom. Wranglers do have some very high resale, but what they are doing is using a sales tactic to get you in the showroom.
btw....if your really in a mood to trade, go in when you have some free time and see what they offer.
good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I wondered about the marketing gimmick part of it. Never had this happen before. I might take a stroll in there and see what's up, just out of curiosity. Still, I know the dealer's going to try to tell me exactly what he thinks I want to hear, which is why I asked here first.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Once I was sitting at a blackjack table and the dealer said:

"The house will let you hit, the house will let you stand, and the house will even let you double down. Just remember that anything the house will let you do is in the house's favor."

That being said, they aren't doing you any favors. They want more money from you. If they are sending you this note it is because it helps out their bottom line, not yours.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Fine print says msrp minus mileage. And it's $0.50 a mile. Unless you're under the average, and then they calculate it @ 12000 miles a year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chevy was offering for my Saturn, but that was clearly only an effort to get me to buy a new car from them.
Same thing!
Buick dealership sends and calls trying to buy back the Wife's Enclave all the time.

"I got an email from my dealership saying they've got orders to fill for used Jeeps, and mine's on the list. They're offering above market value for it, plus 0% financing or cash back, and 'factory incentives."

Sounds like any other car ad on TV. Ask to see the list...the one your Jeep is on.
That should make for a funny, puzzled look on your salesmans face. You could have some fun with it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Since we bought my wife's Compass last year we get them offers too. I drove a 06 liberty. That's what we traded for the jku. We just got another one in the mail this week wanting to buy the liberty. We traded 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
A while back we got something similar from the dealership we bought my wife's car from. Told us that there was incredible demand for vehicles like her's in great condition like ours. We may have taken them up on the deal, but the vehicle was totaled about 4 months before. Actually considered sending them a few photos of it totaled and asking what they'd give us.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It's a gimmick, but if you decide to check it out, before signing anything, take the Jeep to Carmax or some place like that, and see what they offer you for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's a gimmick but then it's not.
They do this to my wife and her murano every two years. We are on our fourth murano now and love them. In the end they give her a new murano,fully loaded , take her old murano all for $10 more a month. We like it, keeps us in a new vehicle with low mileage.

Couple things though.
The gas savings over an 11 are insignificant.
The 0percent is for like 36 months

On the other hand the 13s are nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eh go talk to them and tell them you want numbers in writing in the end before a decision is made. Then think about it and get what looks the best.
Update, this is about where I'm at. Had the day off work, went over, got some numbers. They're offering a fair deal for something that is indeed half gimmick, half not. Definitely a gimmick in that they're going to make a profit reselling mine, however I won't eat nearly as much depreciation as I thought, and they're willing to negotiate on the 13. Long story short, I walked and am thinking things over right now. 13 with a pentastar with some goodies thrown in vs. my 11.

I did take a 13 for a test drive, and the new engine is great. Definitely more power. The seats are nicer too, vs. the ones in my current Jeep. Everything else was pretty much the same between the two. I can tell the difference between the two engines.

They had a COD edition in the showroom- obviously not the one I'm looking at with that price tag, but it's freaking gorgeous. Definitely a treat getting to check that one out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
As they said, it's a gimmick. Doubtful they'll give you above market (not wholesale) value on an outright sale. They want you to trade. Jeeps hold their values very well, but a two year-old Jeep has just had its worst two years of depreciation...so unless you were planning on flipping it otherwise, it's probably not a great decision just based on their prodding.

Of course, with a 2013, you get the new engine, auto tranny, and tranny cooler.

Yeah, I'm not helping ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Of course, with a 2013, you get the new engine, auto tranny, and tranny cooler.

Yeah, I'm not helping ;)
:rofl: Not at all. I shouldn't have test driven it. That new engine is nice! They are offering slightly above Kelly Blue on it. But I know they have to make a profit somewhere. It's a business, they're not in it to lose money.

Still. New engine. Choice between crush, billet or blue. Manual. Plus goodies I wasn't expecting. Crap, I really shouldn't have test driven it and found out how much I really do like the pentastar. :hide:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
thats exactly why they called you in

1 - 20 of 33 Posts