Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing my first wrangler here shortly. I am looking at a Sport S and the dealer offered to throw on the Willys edition wheels and tires for an additional $1300 (giving me a credit of $1000 on the sport S 17 in wheels).

Is that a good deal or would I be better off trying to sell the stock wheels and tires and buy something aftermarket?

There is value to me in not having to sell the wheels and tires myself and being able to add that cost into my financing...This will be my daily driver and I do like the Willys edition wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's hard to re-sell STOCK wheels. You deff won't get $1000 on craigslist if you sell them yourself. I'd take the credit.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
There isn't much of a market for stock wheels and street tires. Of course if you find the right person who really needs a set, different story. I just sold my sport S tires and wheels for $300 because I wanted a quick sale and upgraded to 33x12.50x15 on level 8 trackers. paid $1400
If you like the wheel and tire combo I say go for it. Just be aware that you will be paying top dollar through the dealership for them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You and bdempz seem to be having opposite issues. See his thread here.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wait so its your trade + 1300 on top? Not a deal at all.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The way I see if you can sell the stocks for $400. $400+1300=$1700. You can use that to buy yourself a badass set of used wheels. I wouldn't do this trade, no way.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Got confused when you talked about the credit.
Yep, this is a bad deal.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes the stock wheels and tires + 1300 for the rubican tires and the willys wheels.
I say no deal. For $1,700 (selling them for $400 on your own) that would get you a great $$ jump on new wheels.

And you wont have the factory 6.25" backspacing. In other words you can get better wheels with better backspacing (like 4.5") and put 33-35" tires on them for little-to-no price increase over the cost of the factory whels/tires plus your net on the stockers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your going for a stock look then go for it! It's not a terrible price. I just dropped $2200 on my rims and tires. And you get It roped into the factory warranty

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm going to ask my dealership if they will give a credit for my Altitude wheels and tires. I'm sure they can put them on another Sahara or Sport on the lot and have no problem selling it.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I'm purchasing my first wrangler here shortly. I am looking at a Sport S and the dealer offered to throw on the Willys edition wheels and tires for an additional $1300 (giving me a credit of $1000 on the sport S 17 in wheels).

Is that a good deal or would I be better off trying to sell the stock wheels and tires and buy something aftermarket?

There is value to me in not having to sell the wheels and tires myself and being able to add that cost into my financing...This will be my daily driver and I do like the Willys edition wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant $1300 - $1000 credit so $300.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Everyone has a set of OEM Jeep wheels stashed away. I have like 6 of them in my shed lol. I figure they might come in handy when I sell my Jeep since they aren't worth much to anyone.

The thing about dealerships is they have zero money invested in those wheels they want to sell you. They just took them off another Jeep on their lot that got an upgrade. Dealers do this all the time. They probably have an inventory of take-off parts that they can put on vehicles that have a hard time selling. I looked at a used 2012 and they added on the Rubicon wheels/tires and jacked the price up like $4000 and tried to tell me it was a good deal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Terrible deal.

I had a better deal when I bought my Jeep. They gave me $800 for my stock S wheels and also gave me a set of base steel wheels. My total price of vehicle was reduced by $800 saving me $50 in sales tax.

I then spent $250 for a set of 5 used stock S wheels plus $600 for a set of 5 newly new (3,000 miles) 285 Duratracs. Mount another $100. Out of pocket $150 and I have a set of steelies and brand new tires at my disposal.

Then spent $40 in plasti dip to clean up the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am thinking about running over to a local shop to price out what new wheels and tires would run. That way I at least have an idea what it would cost if I decide not to do the dealer swap out.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I am thinking about running over to a local shop to price out what new wheels and tires would run. That way I at least have an idea what it would cost if I decide not to do the dealer swap out.
I think that's a good idea. The Willys rims are nice, but you can get much better after market. I think what everyone has already said hits all the points.

That being said, if you're happy with the Willys wheels and rubicon tires, go for it, it's your jeep and your money.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant $1300 - $1000 credit so $300.
This is what I thought. Isn't this a great deal for only a total additional $300? SRA's cost $190ea. new and BFG MT's are $300 ea. new. The actual delta would be $550 so you save $250 in this deal and not worry about trying to get top dollar for your 5 take offs plus mounting labor charges.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts