Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday afternoon, after 4 hours at the dealer (yes 4, dont even get me started) I drove off the dealer lot with a brand new Rubicon unlimited. Despite my strong convictions that letting the dealer do a clean up prior to delivery is a waste of time I let them do it. :facepalm: Of course I drove off the lot with a horrible detail job and have to do it all over myself. I will never again let a dealer touch my new vehicle. I realize that being the cleanup guy at a dealer is a crappy job that pays poorly but holy mother of God how can you F up cleaning up a new car. How hard is it to dress tires. I have drip marks all over my tires from them not wiping down the tires properly. F'ing tire dress all over the paint. Streak marks all over the paint and glass. Half ass job of wiping down the flares. Never again. The dealer actually had the balls to try and sell me a detail package for additional details in the future.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds to me like you had some shit luck. Before I graduated I detailed during the summer months at a local chevy dealer...never received any complaints. It doesn't take a genius to do the job. I was an expert at it in a couple of months. Or it could have just been my love for cars, that I put enough effort into each one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had an ex-girlfriend who did detail work at the Porsche dealer. Those guys paid $300 a pop to get their 911's washed. They got their moneys worth. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took my Jeep back to the dealer the first weekend after I bought it

Their version of "detailing" was to run the jeep through a spray car wash, hand drying and add tire dressing which promptly got all over the wheels and bumpers. I expect them to sell me cars, I don't expect them to clean it or do body work for me

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds to me like you had some shit luck. Before I graduated I detailed during the summer months at a local chevy dealer...never received any complaints. It doesn't take a genius to do the job. I was an expert at it in a couple of months. Or it could have just been my love for cars, that I put enough effort into each one.
Good to hear that you took pride in your job and put forth the proper effort. That unfortunately is not the case with vast majority of workers in this country.

As far as detailing goes. It's an art and a labor of love. For me to properly detail a vehicle, it will take me at least 2 hours or more. So expecting my detail job from some kid making 8 bucks an hour that doesnt care about my vehicle and is doing it in 20 mins is stupid. This was totally my fault becuase I knew this was going to happen. It's happend with every new car I've ever bought. This Rubi is number 9.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Last three vehicles I bought I had them write across the buyers order not to detail the car. Upon delivery I inspect it for damage and take it home and detail it myself. Some dealers have a good detail guy, most don't. Many run them through a car wash, slop some Armor All on the inside and call it detailed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
We told ours no, it was clean enough. Not only that, 35 miles down the road it was christened with a road side mud puddle. OH YEAH. I still smile every time we take that exit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never have the dealership do a detail.

Unless of course you don't care about swirl marks, a crappy job, even more people joy riding your vehicle.

I never have the dealership detail my cars, regardless if it was a mercedes dealership or a porsche dealership.

I think if I did, my detailer would have a heart attack. : )

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Never have the dealership do a detail.

Unless of course you don't care about swirl marks, a crappy job, even more people joy riding your vehicle.

I never have the dealership detail my cars, regardless if it was a mercedes dealership or a porsche dealership.

I think if I did, my detailer would have a heart attack. : )
Good point about the joy riding, the less the dealer touches or drives any new vehicle of mine the better. JMO

·
Registered
873 Posts
Detailing is something you make an appointment for, drop the car off and come back in a bit. It takes time to do correctly. There's a gent around here that does a decent job for a reasonable price. Is he claying my vehicle? Eh, probably not. However, he's certainly able to remove small imperfections and does a nice wax without adding anymore.

OP...you're right, you knew better - detail is not a 20 min job. In fact, washing isn't even a 20 min job. Every time someone goes to a car wash and I see nasty, dirty rags being run as quickly as possible all over the paint on a vehicle I cringe. Especially considering that without hand washing there's likely to be a ton of crap still on the car. Never seen an automatic wash that was worth a shit.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
There are only a few people around that know how to detail a car properly. The rest just wash it for you. A proper detail shop charges a fortune to fix imperfections - and it's worth it. There is a guy north of Boston that does it. I have seen his work and it is incredible. Name escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Isn't that the stuff that makes the tire rubber rot prematurely?!?
I don't know, the crap they put on my tires acts like it could withstand a thermal nuclear blast. When I was shopping around for my Jeep, every Wrangler on every lot, new or used had the tires dripping with this stuff. Some of the used ones with black wheels even had the wheels covered with this crap. Looked awful. The first thing I did when I got mine home was to try to wash this stuff off. I didn't have any Bleach White, so I used a pretty concentrated dish soap mixture. It barely took any of this slime off. It's been two months now, and every time I walk by and accidently rub my arm on the spare, I get this black sh*t on my arm. When are they gonna learn, Jeepers don't want shiney tires. I'm just glad they didn't put anything on the fenders.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I agree with the majority here.

When I got mine, I told the dealer no detail. They did it anyway. I finished out the deal and promptly took it out to the desert for several hours of off road fun.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i bet you didn't realize that they threw in a "DIS" package free of charge :D

Dealer Installed Swirls :hide:

·
Registered
108 Posts
sporty952 said:
Isn't that the stuff that makes the tire rubber rot prematurely?!?
Yeah the silicone dries out the rubber eventually.. I typically put dish soap on a towel and smear it on the tires after they dry to give them a wet appearance..wears off really quick but is clean when the rain or the wet road hits them

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dealer Detail

Yeah, I picked up my rig from the dealer and it was clean but the shop forgot to fill up my wiper fluid and put my air filter box back together completely after they put in a new air filter. The crankcase line was off and only half of the clips were snapped back on. They also missed a loose tie-rod end. Anyone with minimal skills could have found all these problems in a few minutes, so I'm not really keen on having them do anything major. Oh, and they missed the fact that all of my tires had the low pressure sensors removed. And I was wondering why the dash light stayed on??

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seconding the DISO (dealer installed swirl option). My jeeps paint and soft-top windows came luxuriously swirled for me.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I figure the washer at the dealer is given 10 minutes tops to wash a vehicle. They'll get the dirt off, but yeah, don't expect much.

I'm actually picking mine up from the dealer today, had some warranty stuff done. They ask if you want the wash or not. I actually said yes since I went wheeling yesterday. There's so many scratches on mine, I'm not really worried about swirl marks. A free wash is all I need.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts