Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious on your experiences with the parts department. I went in and just bought the door guard sills. All I asked for, all I bought, but they seemed very difficult to work with from just the 5 minute interaction.

I am planning to buy the below list from Mopar, and would like to ask for a hookup or see if they can special price anything since I bought Jeep from them.
Is this improper, or do they negotiate? Should I ask my salesman to take the list and see what he can do, or is this just a what it cost is what it cost type transaction?

Mopar Sun Bonnet 82209931
Mopar Wind Jammer
Mopar Tonneau Cover
Mopar Soft Top Boot 82209911
Mopar Fuel Door Cover 82210285
Mopar Front Springs 52126319AB
Mopar Rear Springs 68004460AA

:confused:

EDIT: Just looked at price sheet he wrote for on 2 items, both were priced about $50-70 higher than some prices I find online, each!. Maybe they are a lost cause. Quoted me Gas cover for 155, and Sun Bonnet at 319. I may never go back there.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've had a variety of experiences at different dealers ranging from indifference to actual helpfulness....although it takes a bit of effort to develop a satisfactory relationship.

I've totally fired dealers too.

Can't give you an exact answer. Usually 'better deals' on parts are easier to make before the purchase....although with a bit of effort it might turn out for you. Sometimes the parts guys just have bad days, if you hang back and observe how they work you can get an idea of how to approach them.

Don't count on too much discount, but it's possible to develop a better working relationship, sometimes they can make a little deal in your favor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Yeah, why deal with the dealer for anything other than warranty work . . . ever? Other places sell Mopar stuff, if you must have it. :confused:

They will price match generally, BTW. So I did for example get a can of touch up paint for what Q-tec charges (half the dealer part dept price) by calling them, asking, and offering to show them the page. It enabled me to pick it up immediately.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My local dealership's parts department is amazing. I go in asking for dealer only parts for older Jeeps and they have them IN THEIR STOCK ROOM. Heater knobs, obscure TSB parts, and other things I always assumed they would have to order. This is the first dealership I have ever experienced this at.

Online is always better if the part can be found.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link Kb. Those are the only mopar items I plan on buying. Even possibly looking elsewhere for top pieces.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks for the link Kb. Those are the only mopar items I plan on buying. Even possibly looking elsewhere for top pieces.
Bestop makes the tops for the Wranglers, anyway. Might find a better deal looking at their site, then shopping around:

Bestop: The leading supplier of truck and Jeep tops and accessories

A tip for quick shopping among various vendors. Get the mfr's part # for the product you want, then use that in the search field of any and all sites you think might have the best price on it. Don't forget Amazon. I got my Rampage bumpers through them for $150 less than I could find anywhere else, and also got free shipping. For Amazon, though, you often need to use a description AND a parts #. For the bumper I typed in something like, rampage recovery bumper 88510.

I keep about 40 Jeep vendor sites in a folder on my bookmarks bar, and can run a mfr # through the pertinent ones in about 5 minutes flat.

Life in the jungle. :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bestop makes the tops for the Wranglers, anyway. Might find a better deal looking at their site, then shopping around:

Bestop: The leading supplier of truck and Jeep tops and accessories

A tip for quick shopping among various vendors. Get the mfr's part # for the product you want, then use that in the search field of any and all sites you think might have the best price on it. Don't forget Amazon. I got my Rampage bumpers through them for $150 less than I could find anywhere else, and also got free shipping. For Amazon, though, you often need to use a description AND a parts #. For the bumper I typed in something like, rampage recovery bumper 88510.

I keep about 40 Jeep vendor sites in a folder on my bookmarks bar, and can run a mfr # through the pertinent ones in about 5 minutes flat.

Life in the jungle. :D

Just curious, if Mopar is made by Best Top, why don't they offer a no header bonnet, like Mopar's?

Best tops no drill header and bikini, end up costing the same, just more parts, ack.:surrender:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I research what I want and give them the print out with the part numbers highlighted. I routinely receive 15% off on parts. How are they "difficult" to deal with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Online is always better if the part can be found.

I don't agree with this. I dont mind spending a little bit more at the dealership if it helps me build a relationship with them. That relationship can pay off big time if you find yourself needing something.

I have purchased everything I could for my Mustang from the dealership. I make a point to chat with the service manager when I am in there. On more then one occasion I have needed something like a scheduled service and when I call to make a appointment they may not have what I can get to due to work. I ask to speak to the service manager and my little chats and the extra dollars I have spent there get me in front of the line.

There are times when I have the time and just wait like everyone else, gives me a chance to go walk around and look at the new stangs they get in.

My Jeep is a 89 and the Jeep dealer here in town is the same one I used when the wife had her 300. No way will I ever set foot on that lot again. With that said, some dealerships are just bad and no amount of effort on your part will make a difference.

While online may be cheaper, and I do use it from time to time, we all need to support our local stores before they all close up and we are left ordering our vehicles online without even getting to sit in them first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts