Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit the trails and got stuck in water. No water was sucked in the motor, I changed the oil and it was fine. Water level was high enough that some came in threw the bottom of my doors. I’ve been having some issues, check engine light some noise from the engine. My question is the jeep has 50,000 miles and due for service anyway. Local shop or dealership? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've never had this happen, but if you go in and have damage from going to deep into water will that void the warranty?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Warranty=Dealership.

I would change out the other fluids as well, trans, diffs and transfer case being that they were under water.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I've never had this happen, but if you go in and have damage from going to deep into water will that void the warranty?

It is up to the dealership, if they want to report it or not. Some do it regardless and some only if there is rather major off-road abuse.

Federal law allows manufactures to fully void any warranties, if there is evidence that the vehicle has been driven off-road (or raced). There is not a Jeep exception (nor a Mustang exception either).

I guess that makes the "local mechanic" the better choice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve decided to take it to the dealership since it’s technically still under warranty. If they tell me it’s not covered I’ll take it to my local guy who I’m sure is way cheaper.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,464 Posts
I’ve decided to take it to the dealership since it’s technically still under warranty. If they tell me it’s not covered I’ll take it to my local guy who I’m sure is way cheaper.

@Alcas74,
We are happy to hear that your are addressing your concerns with your dealer. If you would like our added assistance to your servicing visit, feel free to send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I bring vehicles to the dealership for warranty work only. For regular non-warranty work they will rob you big time. I brought my Jeep in for the air bag recall and the dealer called saying that my Jeep needed nearly $2,000 worth of maintenance work. I laughed at them and told them no thanks, i do my own maintenance. The same dealership charged my mother-in-law $700 for a brake job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealership informed me that it jumped timing which I really don’t know what it means.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Timing chain become loose and jumped 1-2 tooths. Most probably they will replace the chain(s) and tensioners.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is up to the dealership, if they want to report it or not. Some do it regardless and some only if there is rather major off-road abuse.

Federal law allows manufactures to fully void any warranties, if there is evidence that the vehicle has been driven off-road (or raced). There is not a Jeep exception (nor a Mustang exception either).

I guess that makes the "local mechanic" the better choice.

When it comes to a vehicle marketed for off-road use, the warranty is not invalidated by simply driving off-road. As the advertisements show, these vehicles are designed to withstand more than city or highway driving. However, off-road conditions will undoubtedly increase the odds of a non-warrantable repair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I remember correctly, the brochure on my Rubicon, states the Jeep can forde water 30” deep. Deeper than I care to go. I always check to make sure all the breather hoses are intact and in good condition before a trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would think if you went deeper, you'd have to sound the dive alarm, close all water tight doors and outer hatches and adjust the dive planes accordingly.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news. My dealership was awesome. I didn’t ask many questions since they replaced the motor under warranty. They even did my clutch at a discount. A++ experience. Second job they did under warranty for me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good news. My dealership was awesome. I didn’t ask many questions since they replaced the motor under warranty. They even did my clutch at a discount. A++ experience. Second job they did under warranty for me.

Wait..... they replaced the whole motor? Wow. Nice score for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts