Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first wrangler in December, a 2007 2dr wrangler X. I work at a local body shop and had the guys in the back put it on the lift just for a quick inspection and it was a horror show from there. Three of the four shocks are blown, all the joints and bushings are worn beyond repair, clock spring isn't working properly, essentially every component of the suspension and steering linkage save the springs is needing replaced. Now at the dealership they knew I was a first time jeep buyer and I feel I was taken advantage of. Regardless it all needs replaced. I was wondering if there was any place to find parts wholesale, maybe used parts even that anyone knows of, also I'm going to just have them put a 3.5 inch lift on while everything's being gutted anyways so any advice there is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Did your purchase come with any kind of warranty? Even 30 days?

Check Craigslist as a lot of folks put their jeep parts on sale for a great price when they upgrade.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I know it doesn't help with this purchase, but always take a test drive over to a mechanic you trust when buying a used vehicle if you don't have a written return policy for your money back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it doesn't help with this purchase, but always take a test drive over to a mechanic you trust when buying a used vehicle if you don't have a written return policy for your money back.
That is usually what I do when I buy a vehicle local, but I was in the next state over 2 and a half hours away this time.

·
Super Moderator
10,664 Posts
Did you buy it from a Jeep dealer, a competing brand franchised dealer (e.g., GMC, Honda), a third-party or independent dealership (e.g., Carmax, Joe's Used Cars?

·
Registered
531 Posts
how did it pass a safety mechanical?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
ug...went through the same thing when my wife bought her 2010 v6 jeep commander. Blown front left strut, hole in the muffler, bad front right ball joints, bad battery, water pump blew, Front Sway bar bushings where toast, broken jack, hole in spare tire. The last two issues I found out because the commander uses aluminum tire valve stems that go soft over time and fall apart. ON the up side, the V6 commanders are very easy to work on do to all the space in the engine bay (designed for a HEMI to fit)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you buy it from a Jeep dealer, a competing brand franchised dealer (e.g., GMC, Honda), a third-party or independent dealership (e.g., Carmax, Joe's Used Cars?

I bought it from Frank Beck Chevrolet in Hillsdale, Michigan from a car salesman named kelly. I believe I got played because he told me he used to work at jeep and that this one was in great condition. Normally wouldn't trust a word but he said he Was a veteran and since I'm currently serving I thought I could trust him but eh stuff happens

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am about to put a lift on my 2015 that has 10k miles. I will have stock control arms, shocks, springs, and track bars I will be selling.

I know many other people out there do the same and will see you the stock stuff very afford-ably. :) It will be all good man!

If you did not know to crawl under and inspect on a 8 year old vehicle unfortunately you should have probably looked at a new vehicle purchase. :( Hate to say it but the thing is 9 model years old?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I would loon for sock parts. Get the jeep road worthy before worrying about a lift. I just gave away stock CA's. Look around on CL for parts.
Disagree. I would not waste time sourcing and installing stock parts if you have mods planned. And with all the options available in the aftermarket, I'd source upgrades out even if you don't have mods planned.

Give aways or take offs might not be in perfect condition either, so you might be going in circles.

Inspect and evaluate what's bad or highly suspect. Make a logical list and repair plan and start researching and sourcing the parts that fit your master plan.

Although this was not your plan, this is one of the best ways to get tremendous value in used jeeps. You find one that has issues you know will be replaced with mods and you leverage those issues in your negotiation.

I have an XJ I bought for $600. It had dented bumpers, rear axle squeal and rattled/squeaked down the road. My planned lift, bumpers and D44 rear swap solved all that. I still have it 9 years later.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
The parts you need are parts that I have thrown in the trash. Grab a set of control arms and shocks off of craigslist and you will be fine.

The clockspring is a bit more expensive, I bought mine off of amazon. If you check my build thread, I recently replaced mine so you can see what it takes.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Where are you located? I have almost an entire Rubicon suspension sitting in my garage you could have for basically free if you were local enough to pick it up in nw nj. 18/59 springs, stock rubi shocks, all control arms except rear uppers, front track bar, sway links. 20k on the parts. Too much of a pain to ship and not worth the cost to you.

Bring a 30 pack of miller lite as compensation and it's a done deal. :) I just want it out of my garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where are you located? I have almost an entire Rubicon suspension sitting in my garage you could have for basically free if you were local enough to pick it up in nw nj. 18/59 springs, stock rubi shocks, all control arms except rear uppers, front track bar, sway links. 20k on the parts. Too much of a pain to ship and not worth the cost to you.

Bring a 30 pack of miller lite as compensation and it's a done deal. :) I just want it out of my garage.
That would be amazing but I'm located near Sandusky ohio, but thanks for the offer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts