Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you have read my other thread you know that i have a soft top that leaks. Dealership kept my jeep for two days and they said its fixed but my soft top is still leaking. I will be going to the dealership tomorrow for them to have a look at it again. My question is, i just noticed that they have taped inside of my soft top. Well i assume they taped it? no one else has tape inside their soft-top out from the factory? is this a normal procedure for the dealership to stop a soft top leak? I have had the jeep for 4 months only and its a new jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also, it's a soft top, it's gonna leak, suck it up, you bought a jeep
This comment is getting so old.... The OP bought a brand new Jeep 4 months ago for hard earned cash. Jeep thing or not, expecting to stay dry at least one year is not so much to ask from a vehicle build in 2015...
I wonder how your clients would react if you would fail within no-time when given only one job (keeping the elements out...). And don't forget: after having 70 years of experience with this problem too....

Anyway, the OP is not even complaining but merely asking if this is a normal procedure in trying to stop the leaking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm one of those people who has ran topless through weeks of snow and ice at a time with no top, 2 hour one way commutes and full soft doors on

·
Registered
451 Posts
And I'm one of those people that expects a thing to do what it is designed for ;)

Anyway, back on-topic.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
This comment is getting so old.... The OP bought a brand new Jeep 4 months ago for hard earned cash. Jeep thing or not, expecting to stay dry at least one year is not so much to ask from a vehicle build in 2015...
I still find it interesting that there are still some people that are totally clueless on what a Wrangler is, what makes it different than other vehicles, and what its like to own/drive one. The difference one gets for their hard earned cash is that a Wrangler is uniquely an open air vehicle, what many like to refer to riding "naked", with some best-effort protection available for when the weather turns wet.

I guess there are people who buy a Harley with their hard earned cash, and then start whining that they got wet when it started to rain.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I still find it interesting that there are still some people that are totally clueless on what a Wrangler is, what makes it different than other vehicles, and what its like to own/drive one. The difference one gets for their hard earned cash is that a Wrangler is uniquely an open air vehicle, what many like to refer to riding "naked", with some best-effort protection available for when the weather turns wet.

I guess there are people who buy a Harley with their hard earned cash, and then start whining that they got wet when it started to rain.
Yeah because no one would expect the top to actually keep water out, and comparing a Harley to a Jeep, are you serious?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seems like some harsh words. Both of my tops have leaked. Bought my Jeep brand spankin' new. I know a Jeep has a lot of unique qualities, and not exactly built like a Lexus. However, I too expect something I paid a lot for, something I plan to keep for a long time, to work as advertised.

Back to the OP. I have the premium top, that picture looks nothing like mine.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Definitely looks like some kind of cloth tape. Probably to try and keep the seals from leaking. Some people have had the soft top replaced due to water coming in at the seams. This is different from a leak at the A pillar or someone else due to it not sealing up correctly. If your top is leaking through the seams I would ask for nothing less than a full replacement.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
IMHO, it is sad that folks make excuses for something not working. I work hard for what I have, take pride in my JK and am not rich enough to beat the crap out of it and let it go only to buy another one. I also expect there to be more than a smidge of quality control. Not one for the "Just suck it up" attitude. Different strokes for different folks I guess.:bop:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
After looking at the picture again, then looking at an old top I have in the garage, I think that is how they come. I don't think the dealer added anything to it.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
For what it is worth, my 95 YJ was a soft top with half doors and never leaked unless I hit the door frames with a power washer. In 20 years they should be able to make a soft top not leak. If my brand new Jeep leaked, I would be pissed too and I am one of this that has driven topless in the snow and rain because I was young and dumb then. Now that I am older, I know better and expect to get what I pay for.

My JKUR is a hard top so I can't answer the OP's question but I do think Jeep should be able to fix the issue and make sure it doesn't leak under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you installed the Prop Top fiberglass bows? They stop the flapping when windows down and top up. Also stop any puddling. They are worth the price.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Blackburn says it all. Not every Wrangler owner "expects" these vehicles to leak ( the Jeep thing ) , especially with the 3 piece hardtops. Brand new, you should have no issues even though older owners know you might/will. But when new buyers shop and decide to purchase a $35,000-$40,000 plus vehicle, that's the last thing on their mind. I'm on number 3, my 2012 so far great! Wrangler's are in my opinion, best in class, but yes, some things just are bull. They need to fix inferior problems, not make excuses. Or advertise all the flaws when buying new, see how the sales will drop! No excuse for problems from factory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So i logged in after 2 hours of posting this and i'm shocked by some of the ignorant comments. There is never a shortage of stupid things that people say i guess. I bought my Jeep 4 months ago and I already have two rusted bolts in my trunk that the dealership had to order to have replaced. That's how bad the leak was, it made the bolts in the trunk rust. I don't know what you guys would do but to me this is not normal. And I'm a 25 years old and I worked every day for the past 10 years to buy my jeep. So no I'm not gonna drive topless in winter or snow and yes just like you guys I might go offroading in summer and enjoy my Jeep but that doesn't mean I should let it rust out in my garage just because IT"S A JEEP. I have talked to people that have no leaks with their soft top and I don't understand why mine shouldn't be one of those properly sealed soft tops.

Now back to the question that no one except 1 person bothered answering. Does anyone else have tape inside their soft top? Is that from the factory or did the dealership tape the inside to stop the leak? Can people look at their soft top and confirm? I don't want to sound stupid when I go in tomorrow.

P.S and yes those are tape, not stitched.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts