Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice this trend in your area?

Some around here even have $0 deductible, so long as you get your maintenance done there.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Meaning you do all the maintenance intervals. Thats alot of money.

·
Registered
531 Posts
not only do all the maintenance intervals but do them with them.
And it only covers powertrain and likely there are restrictions on that as well.

No thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I worded that correctly.

I meant to say some dealers are currently offering these warranties "at no cost" if you buy a vehicle from them.

I haven't looked too closely at the fine print, but I'm sure it's not terribly beneficial to the consumer.

I've inquired about who backs them, and they are the typical poorly-rated warranty companies that most dealers use, but it is being promoted as "free."

Just thought it was interesting as the competition for service must be high here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealership here in Central Arkansas offers the same thing. In fact, gave me an "800" number to call if I ever do my interval maintenance somewhere else to "report" it as being done.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it a Mopar warranty? Dealer sponsored?
I didn't check into all of them, but the one I did is a 3rd-party company (AAGI) that gets poor consumer reviews online, like most 3rd-party warranty outfits.

Each dealership seems to have their own cheap warranty company that they pitch well before the genuine Mopar plans. Many dealerships don't even offer the Mopar plans.

It might be that they aren't worth more than the paper written on, and that they'll find every excuse to deny claims, but I was more interested wheter there were other metropolitan areas that were seeing a trend of "Lifetime" warranties to draw customers.

One disappointing fact is that some of these dealerships get very high overall satisfaction ratings, but then use a crappy company for extended service contracts, even if it's "free."

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
My dealer offered this as well. It was hard to get any details at first, when pressed, and reading through the ultra fine print.....

Dealer pays premium to a third party insurer, must get all third party scheduled maintenance at THAT dealer (dealership requirement, not the insurer). Third party maint schedule was more rigorous than what's in the owners manual. Vehicle mods void warranty. Miss one schedule Maint and its void. Come in with a tire over factory size, void. If the computer shows it was ever flashed with an after market device, void. Does not cover a motor or trans that's simply worn out. Lifetime is not your lifetime, it's the projected lifetime of the motor or trans. List of exceptions was epic. IMHO, not a good deal for the consumer, great deal for the dealership as long as the owner tries to keep the warranty valid.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I given a "free" lifetime warranty 2 months ago on my 13 Rubicon. From another post here is some of the fine print:

Each warranty may be different, but here are some of the highlights from the lifetime power train warranty I was given:
* You are required to have all the recommended service performed at OUR service department.
* I must provide proof that the maintenance requirements have been met.
* With in 180 days of the 10 year anniversary, I must log into their website to confirm that I still own it and then send in all service records by certified mail to them.
* We will replace/repair any covered part which fails to perform the function it was intended to perform with in manufacturers specs due to a mechanical of electrical failure.
* Covered parts: all internally lubricated parts (excluding wheel and hub bearings)
* Exclusions include:
* Problems that result from collision, abuse, misuse or negligence
* Gradual reduction in operating performance due to normal wear and tear not resulting from a failure of a covered part.
*Failure of any part if the odometer has been tampered with.
These conditions basically make my warranty practically useless especially if there are even minor changes like tire size.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Worked at a dealership that offered a lifetime p-train warranty and it had a $100 deductible per component and most of the other previously listed disclaimers. Have fun trying to get a claim paid on that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts