Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep is shaking violently when I get up to about 40_45mph. It's a 6 spd. I have to put brakes on put it in 2nd or 3rd gear to get it to stop. When I first bought it 2 yrs ago it would shake but nothing close to how bad it shakes now. It is very annoying and try driving it on the highway what a joke! Sometimes I can get through the shaking and get it up to 65. Anybody know what the probkem is?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Yes ^^

Typically if not coming to a full stop stops it. It's not DW.

Vibes at speed are usually tire balance, lost wheel weight or bent wheel. Leaving the stock rotor clips on installing new wheels will cause issues too.

How many miles on your jeep ?
Did you check front track bar bolt tightness (recent fix in another post). How about ball joints and tie rod ends ?

Most of the time, if the rig is shaking, the issue is apparent if you look.

Take a couple front end pics if possible. Id like to see how things look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a nurse so know about human bodies not Jeep bodies lmao! I looked at the tires and yes I believe there is a weight missing from front drivers side tire as the left front has two. I hope thats it. I should take it to a tire place?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I am a nurse so know about human bodies not Jeep bodies lmao! I looked at the tires and yes I believe there is a weight missing from front drivers side tire as the left front has two. I hope thats it. I should take it to a tire place?
Absolutely.. If you have help. Somebody can rotate the tires front to rear too. Eventually you still need a balance so, best to have it done.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
All of the wheels won't have the same number of weights. That said, a good first step is to take it to a tire shop and have them balance all the tires.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You should also check to see if you have any water inside the tires, well this would have to be done at a garage, you may have also thrown a weight and need your tires balanced again, another thing that can cause vibration is if the tire pressure sensor has broken loose and is now flopping around inside the tire.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My Jeep is shaking violently when I get up to about 40_45mph. It's a 6 spd. I have to put brakes on put it in 2nd or 3rd gear to get it to stop. When I first bought it 2 yrs ago it would shake but nothing close to how bad it shakes now. It is very annoying and try driving it on the highway what a joke! Sometimes I can get through the shaking and get it up to 65. Anybody know what the probkem is?
How many miles are on it? is it stock? Sounds like death wobble, check over the front end really good. Make sure everything is tight. I would unbolt the trac bar and make sure the holes aren't wallowed out. Maybe pull a bolt out one at a time and check to make sure the holes are good, then put the bolt back in and make sure everything is torque back to spec.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody! Took it to a tire place this morning and yes weights fell off. Ha ha probably from offroading and driving it like it should be... They balanced my tires. I just drove it on the highway and no violent shaking! Bad news.... They said I need front brakes. Not today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts