Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to go off-roading in Death Valley November 22-25. Anyone can join me please reply ASAP. I need to team up with more rigs!

Plan:
Please take a look at the backcountry road map provided by DV:
http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry Roads-2.pdf

Day 1:
We enter the park from north of Trona, CA. Via Escape Trail (not marked on map), we go across Slate Range. After entering Goler Cayon, we go over Panamint Range via Mengel Pass. Continuing on Warm Springs Canyon Road. Reach Furnace Creek by night fall. Attractions: Barker Ranch, Gold Hill Mine, Badwater (lowest point of USA), Devil's Golf Course.

Day 2:
Visit Borax museum at Furnace Creek, Artists Drive, Stovepipes Wells Village. Night stay at Mesquite Spring/ Scottys Castle.

Day 3:
Departure from Mesquite Spring, visit Ubehebe Crater, and Race Track (the weird moving rocks). If we can make it through Lippincott Pass, it'll be super fun, since this trail is famous and challenging.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Won't be joining ya but some insight to your day two. IMO a little light.

If you are going to furnance creek the first night then blow through Artist point that evening if the sun is still up. Be ready with your camera as the view is spectacular in the failing light. Also, if you do it on your way to furnance creek you won't have to back track the next morning.

Now for day two... this is just a suggestion:

Early morning rise and start--- on the road by 0800. Blow off Stovepipe village, nothing to see there that you didn't see at the Furnance creek tourist trap store, other than being at sea level.

Head over to Rhyolite ghost town in NV. You will recognize this place from movies and commercials. See the bottle house. That dude was creative.

On your way back to DV head for Leadfield road. It will be on your right and there will be a sign that should say TITUS CANYON. TAKE THIS. You will be rewarded with epic sites. BUT have a back up plan as sometimes this closed due to snow. Check with the ranger station before leaving furnance creek to see if it is open. If it is not then don't bother with Rhyolite unless you like to see ghost towns like us.

Back up plan... Dantes point should still be open, again check with the ranger station to see if you can get up there. Dantes View - Google Maps Word of warning, this will take you back SOUTH again and away from Scotty's.

Take the tour of Scotty's even if you have already been. Each ranger tells a different story and it is fun to quiz them. Also, Scotty's house/ranch has been opened for tourism. Ask about it, go.

This should burn most if not all of your day. Get to Mesquite reasonable early so you can get one of the lower campsites as the wind will be howling out there.

Day 3:

On your way to the Racetrack be sure to stop by tea kettle junction and get some pics of the rigs at the junction, great shot. At the racetrack, IF AND ONLY IF the lake bed is dry take the hike out to the lone island. Further than ya think but worth the hike as you feel like you are on another planet. If the lake bed is wet, please stay off it. Both foot and tire tracks will remain in the muck for ages and ruins the view for others.

As for the lippencott trail, check with the ranger station on the trail condition. Friends of ours were just there this past weekend and there is already snow at the upper elevations. Oh the devils golf course... all it is, is funny looking plants no real site to see. Now you want to see an odd site stop off at Salt Creek and see the Pup Fish. This is a species that has survived for ages in extremely salty water. DO NOT drink the water and DO NOT allow pets to drink the water you will both become sick. There are warning about this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Goler is washed out at the park boundry, Artist Drive is washed out. Lippincot is open "very rough." And South Pass thru Grapevine Canyon is very rough and requires spotting. Good news is that there is a tractor working on this road though.
Death Valley Daily Report http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=439529

Make sure you have a plan"B"

Sorry for the repeat post, I know you saw this on another forum. Not trying to discourage just trying help optimize your precious time in the Valley

Chuck

·
Registered
203 Posts
I will be going to DV on that long weekend too. I will be doing a photo shooting though. I will do Titus Canyon which is a great. It's nothing like what the hardcore off-roaders like (no rock crawling etc.), but it's an amazing trip. I will also do the racetrack for sunset shooting. Telescope Peak is on my list as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also, if you come from Trona, check out Ballarat and enter the park via Wildrose, then check Aguerreberry Point. Great view, higher than Dante's View and you come across Eureka Mine. Outside of the Park I would also recommend the Panamint flats as well as Darwin falls and the town of Darwin.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks for that link Chuck. Now the key will be remembering we have it.

Mengel Pass extremely rough huh? I am seeing a trip there now myself. Wonder how bad the Goler wash out is? Didn't see that on the list.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for that link Chuck. Now the key will be remembering we have it.

Mengel Pass extremely rough huh? I am seeing a trip there now myself. Wonder how bad the Goler wash out is? Didn't see that on the list.
It was this week since I've been back that I saw the info on Goler. Don't know if they archive these reports. Seeing places like Artist Drive and Salt Creek on the list, I would guess their resources would go to a place like that before more remote areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts