Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if this will help anyone but if it does than great!

My encounter and eventual fix with the death wobble.

I purchased a stock 2007 JKU Sahara about a year ago with almost 180k (112 miles). My second car I’ve ever owned so I was pretty happy when I got a decent deal – just had to pay the lean off of it. I didn’t do much research into these cars as I wasn’t really planning to buy one but the opportunity came up so I went for it (screw trying to save up for school)

Anyway, eventually I encountered the death wobble. First time it happened almost shit myself. Tried to figure out myself what happened but I know pretty much jack shit about diagnosing vehicle problems.

The only things that was replaced on that thing from stock was the steering stabilizer – so I think the previous owner also had some wobble.
Death Wobble was only initiating when I was breaking at around 80 -100km (50 – 62miles) per hour.

Things I tried to do to fix it.

- New Tires
- Replaced all the bolts (although there was some wear and beginning of ovaling from the old bolts but it wasn’t bad)
- Track bar bushing ( was worn out and had some movement)
- Tightened steering
Seemed to be better but came back again
- New premium front breaks/rotors

Seemed to work for a while but then started doing it even when not breaking.

At this point I was thinking of selling the thing cause I did not have a job and was getting really worried.

- Noticed one of my wheel weights fell off so I got everything rebalanced and resealed.

It helped as I didn’t have to pull over anymore but had a wobble always at around 80 – 100km/h

The mechanic I was visiting was saying that I need to replace the gear box but I really didn’t want to cause I didn’t have the money. (he said it solved his other customers death wobble)

Bought jacks stands and went over everything meticulously by myself. (watched Planman’s videos which are a great help)

What I noticed was that I had a minimal click in the drag link tie rod end (where it attaches to the pitman arm area) as well as some but very little play in my passengers upper and lower ball joints.

- Ordered the Synergy Ball Joint set for both sides as well as the
- Tie rod end (Moog ES3624)

Told myself that this is the last thing I’m gonna do now cause I seriously couldn’t take it anymore.

No more wobble! Those two things seemed to have fixed it. Steering is tight as a butthole now and doesn’t wander around when I hit bumps. Used to be some play in the steering before but didn’t know if that was normal.

I am so relieved that I might even risk getting larger tires for it someday. So weird how such a small thing can make.

If anything, I have at least learned a decent amount about how these things work and the different terminology.

Anyone experiencing any wobbles, my sympathies and I hope you will figure it out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Good Post!

It highlights the likelihood of the ball joints being part of the problem. If you have a lift kit and/or 30K miles you might as well replace the ball joints with some high quality parts, since the stock ones are known to be weak and avoid issues down the road.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
balljoints were my culprit as well. you are way past the mileage that they usually crap out at anyways. glad you got it fixed!

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,761 Posts
I don’t know if this will help anyone but if it does than great!

My encounter and eventual fix with the death wobble.

I purchased a stock 2007 JKU Sahara about a year ago with almost 180k (112 miles). My second car I’ve ever owned so I was pretty happy when I got a decent deal – just had to pay the lean off of it. I didn’t do much research into these cars as I wasn’t really planning to buy one but the opportunity came up so I went for it (screw trying to save up for school)

Anyway, eventually I encountered the death wobble. First time it happened almost shit myself. Tried to figure out myself what happened but I know pretty much jack shit about diagnosing vehicle problems.

The only things that was replaced on that thing from stock was the steering stabilizer – so I think the previous owner also had some wobble.
Death Wobble was only initiating when I was breaking at around 80 -100km (50 – 62miles) per hour.

Things I tried to do to fix it.

- New Tires
- Replaced all the bolts (although there was some wear and beginning of ovaling from the old bolts but it wasn’t bad)
- Track bar bushing ( was worn out and had some movement)
- Tightened steering
Seemed to be better but came back again
- New premium front breaks/rotors

Seemed to work for a while but then started doing it even when not breaking.

At this point I was thinking of selling the thing cause I did not have a job and was getting really worried.

- Noticed one of my wheel weights fell off so I got everything rebalanced and resealed.

It helped as I didn’t have to pull over anymore but had a wobble always at around 80 – 100km/h

The mechanic I was visiting was saying that I need to replace the gear box but I really didn’t want to cause I didn’t have the money. (he said it solved his other customers death wobble)

Bought jacks stands and went over everything meticulously by myself. (watched Planman’s videos which are a great help)

What I noticed was that I had a minimal click in the drag link tie rod end (where it attaches to the pitman arm area) as well as some but very little play in my passengers upper and lower ball joints.

- Ordered the Synergy Ball Joint set for both sides as well as the
- Tie rod end (Moog ES3624)

Told myself that this is the last thing I’m gonna do now cause I seriously couldn’t take it anymore.

No more wobble! Those two things seemed to have fixed it. Steering is tight as a butthole now and doesn’t wander around when I hit bumps. Used to be some play in the steering before but didn’t know if that was normal.

I am so relieved that I might even risk getting larger tires for it someday. So weird how such a small thing can make.

If anything, I have at least learned a decent amount about how these things work and the different terminology.

Anyone experiencing any wobbles, my sympathies and I hope you will figure it out.

Thanks,
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-bigger-tires-755625.html

^^^Read this!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts