Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

So, I've noticed that the death wobble is highly attributed to the track bar, and any play among the frame, track bar, and axle. On my rig, the axle side mount appears to have the most wear, and I was curious to know if anyone else identified this to be their most common trouble spot. If so, have you tried any aftermarket repairs? I see there are all sorts online ranging from bolt on to weld on.

Are there any pros/cons to either?

I was thinking of going with bolt on method, but feel that this might be a band aid.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
How high are you lifted? because the only bolt on kit I can think of would involve a drag link flip. Otherwise, welding would be needed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The welding some oversized washers was a suggestion my buddy offered, and I'm leaning towards going that route.

My lift is 2.5" (but wound up much higher earlier on prior to the addition of my steel bumpers).

·
Registered
704 Posts
Swap the lower bolt over to a shouldered 9/16th bolt and get a 14 mm shouldered bolt for the frame mount when you repair the hole and torque them to 130-135 ft lbs. You have to use the 14mm bolt in the frame mount as they changed the hole in the track bar rod end in 2012 to 14mm it is no longer 9/16th like the others.

If the hole isn't to bad you might just want to get the bolts and some hardened washers and try that before welding and drilling a new hole...Just my .02

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought my JK used, with many nice aftermarket upgrades...except for a track bar! I am kind of surprised because the dude sprung for a 6" lift, nice shocks, wheels, brakes/rotors, etc. The track bar is bone stock though. I do see that the ball joints have been replaced at some point as the grease fittings are accessible on the top which don't look like a mopar option.

Mine has been starting to wobble too. Checked everything last night, had very minimal play in my front passenger ball joint, the driver side was solid. Did seem like it kind of started after got my tires rotated, so wonder if I just need a balance. Lots of money can be tossed around to fix the problem with ball joints being the most expensive. That said, I have a crap stock track bar for the rig I'm in, and figure replacing that with a Teraflex or so could only help anyway. Especially for the cost and ease of install.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did seem like it kind of started after got my tires rotated, so wonder if I just need a balance.
If it started after you rotated your tires, then your tires are definitely contributing to it. Get them balanced. Also, multiple things can be contributing to the DW at once, so you should still check all other front end components to eliminate them out of the equation.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swap the lower bolt over to a shouldered 9/16th bolt and get a 14 mm shouldered bolt for the frame mount when you repair the hole and torque them to 130-135 ft lbs. You have to use the 14mm bolt in the frame mount as they changed the hole in the track bar rod end in 2012 to 14mm it is no longer 9/16th like the others.

If the hole isn't to bad you might just want to get the bolts and some hardened washers and try that before welding and drilling a new hole...Just my .02
I did upgrade my track bar bolts to some from Northridge 4x4. However, this upgrade was done about 3-4 years after manufacture of the Jeep. Thus the original bolts were there for some time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had a go round with death wobble twice. I did the Northridge bolt kit and have a Full Traction Suspension 3 inch lift which they did the instal with their track bar.

I have the Maxcare warranty and both times they did a full front end rebuild, upper-lower ball joints etc. At first they tried to piece it together but in the end rebuild everything. The best thing is each experience cost me $100 done....

When the tech was diagnosing the problem, he concluded that several items were at the far end of their tolerances and collectively it resulted in DW. So to assure it was corrected they replaced everything. I have a good relationship with my dealer, they have one tech work on my Jeep so he has a much more complete picture since he has performed most of the work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts