Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I understand theirs an insane amount of info on here about death wobble. But after searching for over 2 hours non have had the same issues as I. This started about 3 months ago as a small vibration from 50-55. Months went by and its grew worse. Up until the point now where the shake is so bad the jeep will surge and cut off trying to drive through it. My thought originalaly was tires. My tires are low on tread. About 15% and have worn un evenly. One has a small leak and goes flat in about a week. Once it's down to around 15 pounds their is no shake. But when I air up it's back to hell. I understand at this point that I may need new tires but my question is can just tires cause a level of Shake that kills the jeep. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance. Just out of ideas as to what else it could be.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You said it shook between 50-55. If it is being felt in the steering wheel, it is almost certainly your tires...either badly worn or out of balance. But from the way you described it, It sounds like your engine is shutting down. If that is the case and there is no vibration in the steering wheel it sounds like it might be an electrical or fuel problem that is making your engine shudder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea definitely in the steering wheel and felt completely in the front end. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around tires causing that bad of a shake. Gonna have to try new rubber and see I guess. Thanks man

·
Registered
646 Posts
when you air down the tire, it has a greater contact patch. when you air up, the center of the tire becomes the only point of contact to the road. this will cause a lot of wandering. your camber/toe angle may be out of spec too. i ran bald ass tires on mine once for a couple days just fine, provided that the alignment was correctly done.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately you have some very obvious issues to fix. With your tires being as bad you describe you don't even have common denominator to work from. Your tire pressure alone is changing on a daily basis. Start with tires.

When it comes to front end components your biggest investment is going to be the tires -by far. After you know your Jeep is riding on a solid platform start diagnosing the components that I'm sure you read about while searching. There are some very good write ups, vids, and pictures that will walk you through step by step.

Until you address your bald and leaking tires you're going to be chasing ghosts. The good news is that you aren't throwing parts at the problem by buying tires. You already know yours are shot. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts