Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I purchased a 4 door 2007 JK unlimited Sahara back in June 2018, it had a 4 inch lift (old man emu kit) and 20inch jeep tires (275/55/R20 Cooper Leon LTZ all terrain tires), i drove over 8000km, it was great. Then in March 2019 I hit a pothole at 110kmh. I got what I know now as the death wobble, believe me I thought I was going to die, I gently slowed down and it’s stopped at 70kmh, but everytime I went over 80kmh and hit anything uneven the death wobble came back so I drove it to the garage below 70kmh. The garage showed me the tie road damaged (longer part) so I got it changed it to mopar one and vehicle tracked, the death wobble carried on happening over 80kmh. So I took it back and he was unable to find anything and was advised to balance the tires which I did but again carried on doing it. So I purchased the Wrangler trackbar and lower control bolt upgrade kit and got the bolts changed, that didn’t work. So I purchased a Rancho front and rear adjustable trackbars and mopar steering tie rod end (shorter part ), I got them all fitted, vehicle tracked and wheels balanced at a different garage and they checked the wheel bearing and ball joints and was told they are fine. So yesterday I was driving after all the parts were fitted thinking yeah my jeep is fixed, then I felt slight wobbles doing 80kmh steady (cruise control), i accelerate and And go to 110+kmh and everything is nice and as it should be, I hit a few uneven surfaces and no issues, then after about two hours and doing 110kmh I hit a bad uneven patch on the motorway and the death wobble happened, vehicle shaking violently as before. I slowed it down to 70kmh and it stopped then carried on again feeing slightly wobbles at 80kmh until I got home. I’m going on a driving holiday covering over 3000km in two weeks and now I don’t feel confident taking my jeep, although the death wobble doesn’t happen as often as it did the problem is still there, I’ve spend over $1500 and feel that I got no where, I love my jeep but I think maybe it’s time I sold it if I can’t get it fixed. Any advise will be great, I’m from the UK so not many jee wranglers around or mechanics that know about the problem.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I wish you had come here before throwing money at it. First, I really don't think it is classic DW as you get it to stop by slowing to 70kmph (42 mph). True DW does not generally stop until you come to an almost complete stop. It can also occur at any speed, even below 70 kmph.

I do not doubt that you have a severe case of wobble. You have had your tires balanced, were they road force balanced? Did they check the run out? (This is where the tire/wheel are out of round). You can check the run out your self by jacking up one front wheel and then put something against the center of the tire and rotate the tire. If the tire is true it will no move the item or show a gap. Run out if present will make itself known at almost all speed, but is generally more severe at high speeds.

Wobble is caused by worn suspension parts (as is DW). The difference is wobble is speed scensitive and when it occurs, you can stop it by slowing down. You have replaced the track bar, and I must assume the shop properly torqued it to 125 foot pounds (sorry, I don't know the Newton Meter equivalent).

You did not state how many KMs on the Jeep, but from the age my first suspicion would be ball joints. You can check this by while that wheel is jacked up, put one hand on top of the wheel and one on the bottom and see if you can move the top and bottom of the tire in and out. Any movement and the ball joints need to be replaced. I just replaced the ones on my '03 TJ with 129,000 miles (about 210,000 kms). But they can go earlier depending on how the Jeep was used (or abused).

Here is a link to a thread that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about DW/wobble/shimmy issues and how to cure them.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ball joints or track back. Since you replaced the track bar already, I’d have the ball joints looked at again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
4 inch lift (old man emu kit) and 20inch jeep tires (275/55/R20 Cooper Leon LTZ all terrain tires)...

you need "YETI parts" period........stop wasting your money...well you already have......I wised up pretty soon....

Yeti drag link
Yeti Track Bar
Yeti Tie Rod

DW will occure at a specific speed range and when you hit a bump...the front end on solid axles will get ito an oscillating cycle where the worn components could no longer curtail the oscillation resulting in DW........pull and push created by the lift and the trackbar.......

Also the tire pressure should be between 25-35psi....ball joints if still on OEM should be replaced for heavy duty ones.....dynatrac is the top onf the line , but Teraflex are better too.....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ball joints or track back. Since you replaced the track bar already, I’d have the ball joints looked at again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would second the ball joints and track bar. In fact, When i had DW, the ball joints "passed" the tire check as outlined by @rgreen65. It wasnt until the pulled the knuckle off did i realize the lower ball joints were completely shot at roughly 90k miles (144k km).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts