Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve replaced u joints, ball joints, installed Currie drop link and tie rod, wheel bearings, and steering stabilizer. Track bar is tight. And I’m still getting death wobble I’ve had my 2000 Tj for five years and never had an issue before. Any ideas what to look at next

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the alignment and tires balanced today and had DW on the way home. I loosened the track bar gave the Jeep a shack and then torqued the bolts back down. Holes looked fine bushings looked fine as well. I did go ahead and order new adjustable Tb tonight. Can adjustable disconnect cause it that’s the only thing I have added recently?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are you experiencing death wobble, where you are nearly out of control and must come to a stop to get it to quit? Or is it more of a speed sensitive wobble that starts, for example at 42mph and continues through 47mph, and avoiding traveling in those speeds no wobble is present?

Reactions: Tobymac27

·
Commercial Member
7,885 Posts
No I need to get a kid to turn the wheel for me.
It's amazing what you can find, engine off and tires on the ground.
Just feeling each rod end/bushing sometimes you can feel the slop or play, where sometimes you can't visually see it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I’ve replaced u joints, ball joints, installed Currie drop link and tie rod, wheel bearings, and steering stabilizer. Track bar is tight. And I’m still getting death wobble I’ve had my 2000 Tj for five years and never had an issue before. Any ideas what to look at next
You didn't mention anything about having the tires perfectly balanced. Imperfectly balanced tires are the biggest/most common trigger for DW. Even if they were recently balanced not many tire shops will take the time to get them any better than what they consider "good enough" which for the type of solid-axle front-end the TJ has is not good enough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn't mention anything about having the tires perfectly balanced. Imperfectly balanced tires are the biggest/most common trigger for DW. Even if they were recently balanced not many tire shops will take the time to get them any better than what they consider "good enough" which for the type of solid-axle front-end the TJ has is not good enough.
As far as I can tell they are balanced I don’t experience and vibration in the steering wheel. Feels and sounds like normal mud terrains on pavement. then it decides to shake and try to put you in the ditch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you experiencing death wobble, where you are nearly out of control and must come to a stop to get it to quit? Or is it more of a speed sensitive wobble that starts, for example at 42mph and continues through 47mph, and avoiding traveling in those speeds no wobble is present?
It’s happened at different speeds, slowing down, speeding up doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have to come almost to a stop for it to stop shaking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's amazing what you can find, engine off and tires on the ground.
Just feeling each rod end/bushing sometimes you can feel the slop or play, where sometimes you can't visually see it.
I’ve replaced almost the entire front end this week except for track bar, and upper control arm bushings and that is planned for this week.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
As far as I can tell they are balanced I don’t experience and vibration in the steering wheel. Feels and sounds like normal mud terrains on pavement. then it decides to shake and try to put you in the ditch.
You asked for suggestions, I suggested what is the most common cause of DW. Every instance of DW I have experienced since acquiring my first TJ in 1996 has ultimately been related to imperfect tire balance. Loose components like the track bar can allow DW to occur more easily but imperfect tire balance is the most common root cause by actually powering the oscillations which can build into DW.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You asked for suggestions, I suggested what is the most common cause of DW. Every instance of DW I have experienced since acquiring my first TJ in 1996 has ultimately been related to imperfect tire balance. Loose components like the track bar can allow DW to occur more easily but imperfect tire balance is the most common root cause by actually powering the oscillations which can build into DW.
10-4 I’m going to try an actual 4x4 place that specializes in off-road/lifted vehicle. I’ll have them check the balance again. I’ve read all you DW comments I can find I’m just not sure how you check tire balance without just taking the shops word that they did there job.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I have the best luck at Discount Tire with balance (Jeep, work truck, wife's car) they always come out perfect.
It depends on the tech doing the balance job, not the name of the store. When I had to have my tires balanced 3X in one day before they finally spent enough time to get the tires balanced well enough to get rid of the shimmy that was just shy of DW, it was at a Discount Tire store. The very best balance I have received in years was at a small 4x4 shop with a 50 year old low-tech tire balance machine. The guy running it just knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Death Wobble Solution

I had the same problem with my 2004 TJ Rubicon. To the point where I thought the Jeep was going to shake itself apart. Had to slow down to 5-10 mph to get it to stop... and would come on without rhyme or reason. Had everything looked at multiple times (front and rear end) and multiple parts replaced and nothing helped. Finally replaced tires... no more wobble.... not once. If your tires are close to needing replacement or are wearing uneven, it would be at the top of my list (from my personal experience).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts