Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has death wobble. I've tried most of the things they talk about on this forum nothing seems to help. Is there anyone in this area they can diagnose and fix death wobble? I would be more than happy to pay for the help ! I live between Springfield Illinois and Quincy Illinois near Beardstown and would be glad to drive up to 75 miles. I am done working on it myself. thanks, Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
"Death Wobble" is a very specific event. Most people confuse it with axle shimmy or a light wobble. Let me assure you that both the "Death" and the "Wobble" are a vast understatement.

Heres my account of "Death Wobble"

Imagine that you're going down a baby smooth, race track quality highway, at 70 MPH. You hit a small transition or crack in the baby smooth highway, and all of a sudden it feels like you're going 70mph down the worst washboard road you've been on. Your steering wheel is jouncing left and right so quick you can't control it. Your Jeep is shaking so bad that you feel like your axles are going to sheer off and you are going to slide into a fiery death in the middle of traffic. All you can do is let off the brakes and try* to stay on the road until it stops.

The cause of this is most certainly your track bars. Inspect both front and rear for bends, then, closely inspect the joints. Are the bushing dry and rotted? Cracked? Are they degraded and chunking? Is the trackbar bolts loose? Are the mounting holes they sit in wollowed out?

From there, if you experience true death wobble, you'll likely want to do this for each and every suspension link you have, all 8 CAs, inspect your tie rod, draglink, and ball joints along with all their mounting points and bolts. Any one of these could have been damaged or loosened during the death wobble experience. Also may be a good idea to examine if your shocks are still in good working condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I tried balancing the tires.
Yes it's full out death wobble . I had my mechanic install new bushings and bolts in the track bar, look for wear in the bolt holes and also made sure they were torqued properly.
I'm really looking for an expert in my area of the country that could diagnose and fix this problem.
Thanks very much for the replies.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd put money on track bar. I got dw back after my lift. Checked track bar and still had it. Changed to new beefier steering stabilizer and didn't help. After hours of searching under jeep I found the track bar needed 1/4 turn on axle side. DW is gone again.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Can a worn steering box cause death wobble?
no. have you checked the ball joints? what about the bushings in the front control arms? read a lot about the trackbar - nothing about the control arms. are you running "shouldered" bolts? if not - go get some. they make a difference. the factory bolts are threaded all the way. that extra "slop" can contribute.

·
Registered
216 Posts
your problem my friend are your ball joints, go to you tube there is a simple video on how to inspect your ball joints. Juts got done replacing a set on a 2010 and a 2013. Put in alloy USA balls and all DV gone.......Alloy USA has rebate net for a set costed me $173.....after a rigorous search of the web.... if you have done all regarding track bar, tie rod etc....it si your ball joints, if they have never been replaced then it is time to change those plastic inserts oem mopar shitty ball joints... don't delay other wise it will take your drive shaft and hub bearings with it...at-least thats what happend to the 2010 that I worked on...lol

·
Registered
691 Posts
your problem my friend are your ball joints, go to you tube there is a simple video on how to inspect your ball joints. Juts got done replacing a set on a 2010 and a 2013. Put in alloy USA balls and all DV gone.......Alloy USA has rebate net for a set costed me $173.....after a rigorous search of the web.... if you have done all regarding track bar, tie rod etc....it si your ball joints, if they have never been replaced then it is time to change those plastic inserts oem mopar shitty ball joints... don't delay other wise it will take your drive shaft and hub bearings with it...at-least thats what happend to the 2010 that I worked on...lol

I'll second this. If it's not the trackbar, its most likely the ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check the ball joints like they showed on YouTube. The ball joint seemed fine and tight no play that I could see. They looked like they had been replaced before

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Does anyone have any other ideas?
have you checked the bushings on the control arms? and have you installed a grade 8 bolt kit? if not, i'd do that.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Is your Axle bent? Is the weld on your trackbar brackets solid or about to give up the ghost? (The factory trackbar brackets are tinfoil junk, and with the right stresses, can physically separate from the axle.)

True full on death wobble (love TheRubicons description btw!) as opposed to another shimmy/shake somehow involves the axle moving. The trackbar is what keeps the axle from walking out sideways from under the Jeep, full on death wobble is the axle literally trying to walk (whether it's the trackbar bolt holes/bushings/bar/bracket).

Reactions: wheatbackdigger

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
If you want me to move this post down to your state forum for more local input, just let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mommymallcrawler, that would be great please do. Thanks again for all the great answers from everyone, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully I will eventually get this figured out.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Mommymallcrawler, that would be great please do. Thanks again for all the great answers from everyone, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully I will eventually get this figured out.
Ok. Hope you find someone local and get it sorted out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts