Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep was fine when I had 31's on, and now that I put 33's on, my steering wheel has been shaking a little. I'm unsure if it's a little bit of the death wobble or if something else might be the problem. I uploaded a video on youtube to get others opinions and to see what y'all think.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnhk1InUnI

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Most likely a balancing problem. That was not death wobble. If it was dw you would hardly be able to hang on and your steering wheel and whole front end would be shaking violently. Get your tires rebalanced. Close isn't close enough on large tires.

If rebalancing doesn't do it, do a dry steering test.

Dry Steering Test

Do a dry steering test by having someone sit in your Jeep (with the tires on the ground) and continuously turn the steering wheel back and forth from about the 11 to 1 position while you lay under the front end and watch and feel for any lateral play in any steering or suspension joints. Check both track bar ends, the tie rod and drag link ends.
Although rotational movement in the tie rod and drag link is normal and necessary, there should be no end movement at all in the joints. There also should be no movement in the track bar ends.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a balancing problem. That was not death wobble. If it was dw you would hardly be able to hang on and your steering wheel and whole front end would be shaking violently. Get your tires rebalanced. Close isn't close enough on large tires.
Thanks WaterDog! Would you recommend adding a adjustable track bar too or that wouldn't be needed?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks WaterDog! Would you recommend adding a adjustable track bar too or that wouldn't be needed?
What is the suspension on your Jeep? Do you have a suspension lift (how much), a body lift, or a combination? How about a few pics of your suspension?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the suspension on your Jeep? Do you have a suspension lift (how much), a body lift, or a combination? How about a few pics of your suspension?
I have a 4" Zone lift, here's the pics

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
An adjustable track bar would be a good upgrade, but I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it, if there is no movement in your current tb ends. If you do plan on replacing the track bar at some point, I recommend welding a piece of 1/8" plate over the existing bracket, and re-drilling the stock bolt hole location through it to give that outer bracket a little more integrity. That's what I did to mine and it works well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An adjustable track bar would be a good upgrade, but I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it, if there is no movement in your current tb ends. If you do plan on replacing the track bar at some point, I recommend welding a piece of 1/8" plate over the existing bracket, and re-drilling the stock bolt hole location through it to give that outer bracket a little more integrity. That's what I did to mine and it works well.
I like this idea, definitely gonna try to do it when I go home on leave in a couple of days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts