Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my ball joints with the synergy brand and my jk still shakes when I'm driving. Starts when I hit 30mph then goes away when I get up to 40mph

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
There are about a dozen joints you need to check. Follow Planman's method to diagnose DW. the longer the DW persists the more joints are usually damaged.

Synergy joints are head and shoulders above MOOG.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
So I replaced my ball joints with the synergy brand and my jk still shakes when I'm driving. Starts when I hit 30mph then goes away when I get up to 40mph
then you dont have death wobble, balance your tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have recently experienced true DW. After wheeling my dual Steering Stabilizer bolts came loose. When on the road, I was doing 40, hit a bump, then DW, had to pull over to a stop. Tightened the bolts and drove home.
I am replacing my drag link this weekend, I found some play in the passenger joint.
I know I have DW, but my dual SS hides it. Now it feels more like a wobble that starts at 30-40 but I can drive thru it.
If I take off my SS, then I will surely have DW. If I put on a single SS, I have DW.
Hopefully the drag link replacement will solve a few things.
(2012 JK w/ 2.5" Max travel Rock Krawler lift on 35's)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
They don't call it "Death" wobble because it is scary and you have to hurry through to a higher speed. If you have death wobble you will know it. I have been in a couple of DW episodes and was driving for 1. I thought the axel had broken and the wheels were leaving the ground. You have to stop driving.

You have something out of balance or not tight. Start with tire balance and rotation.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have recently experienced true DW. After wheeling my dual Steering Stabilizer bolts came loose. When on the road, I was doing 40, hit a bump, then DW, had to pull over to a stop. Tightened the bolts and drove home.
I am replacing my drag link this weekend, I found some play in the passenger joint.
I know I have DW, but my dual SS hides it. Now it feels more like a wobble that starts at 30-40 but I can drive thru it.
If I take off my SS, then I will surely have DW. If I put on a single SS, I have DW.
Hopefully the drag link replacement will solve a few things.
(2012 JK w/ 2.5" Max travel Rock Krawler lift on 35's)
Have you gone over Planman's DW guide? Check to see if the track bar holes aren't wallowed out? Swap the track bar bolts with 9/16" bolts?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have you gone over Planman's DW guide? Check to see if the track bar holes aren't wallowed out? Swap the track bar bolts with 9/16" bolts?
Look at the northridge bolt replacement kit. These incorrect bolts can contribute to DW. Also check the torque on your trac bar it should be 120ftlbs. A faulty steering stabilizer only masks DW it is not the cause or fix as a vehicle does not need them.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I followed his guide to figure out what needed to be replaced. Only found movement in the Drag Link knuckle. The track bar holes were wallowed out a little, I did replace those with the 9/16" bolts.

Look at the northridge bolt replacement kit. These incorrect bolts can contribute to DW. Also check the torque on your trac bar it should be 120ftlbs. A faulty steering stabilizer only masks DW it is not the cause or fix as a vehicle does not need them.
My dual SS does a good job at masking it, I've been driving it for 2 weeks waiting on my drag link. When I switched it to a single SS last weekend, I could still feel it with the SS on, but not as bad (I didn't want to drive to make it worse either). With the SS off, it's ridiculously dangerous, DW at it's best.
My plan is to get the drag link on this weekend, try out a single SS, and see if that fixes it. Next step would be to weld washers on my track bar bolts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the death wobble. Replaced the stabilizer shock in the front and fixed the problem. Cheap fix. Only $90 for a better than stock, after market one, and put it on myself.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had the death wobble. Replaced the stabilizer shock in the front and fixed the problem. Cheap fix. Only $90 for a better than stock, after market one, and put it on myself.
All the stabilizer is doing is masking the problem. I would go over Planman's guide.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
It was over two years ago when I had the DW. No problems since
it is a very well known fact that a steering stabilizer hides underlying issues.

·
Registered
605 Posts
it is a very well known fact that a steering stabilizer hides underlying issues.
I hear this a lot, sometimes there's just play in the steering somewhere and the stabilizer is simply doing it's job, preventing death wobble. Now if a person has checked out the play in the ball joints, tie rods, track bar a so on and all seems well then a new stabilizer is a perfectly good fix.

The alternative is to take it off and drive through a couple of heavy duty death wobbles and tear your front end to shreds. I completely disagree with the fact that "it's hiding things and that's bad". The alternative is randomly replacing things to the tune of a few grand or more and hope it works, how many times have I seen guys do this and still have the DW? Too many.

We can disagree on this one and I'm sure we will and that's okay.

In my case I'm sure it's the ball joints, having new ones installed within the week, Synergy HD's

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I hear this a lot, sometimes there's just play in the steering somewhere and the stabilizer is simply doing it's job, preventing death wobble. Now if a person has checked out the play in the ball joints, tie rods, track bar a so on and all seems well then a new stabilizer is a perfectly good fix.

The alternative is to take it off and drive through a couple of heavy duty death wobbles and tear your front end to shreds. I completely disagree with the fact that "it's hiding things and that's bad". The alternative is randomly replacing things to the tune of a few grand or more and hope it works, how many times have I seen guys do this and still have the DW? Too many.

We can disagree on this one and I'm sure we will and that's okay.

In my case I'm sure it's the ball joints, having new ones installed within the week, Synergy HD's
True death wobble is likely due to track bar issues - the most common are incorrectly torqued track bar bolts, bad bushings and wallowed out holes due to aforementioned metric bolts in SAE holes, less commonly bent /damaged frame side bracket, bent track bar. A steering stabilizer is akin to giving a cancer patient aspirin. It might cover up a symptom for a while but it won't correct the underlying problem and won't stop DW. Ive driven TJs and JKs with 35s that were properly set up with no SS, to shake them out and it was ok- not great but nothing like DW. Ball joint failure results in a different type of front end vibration but it is easier to diagnose through simple inspection and pulling on the wheels to see if there is play. Use the DW checklist in a scientific fashion as others have noted - this is not random but a proven formula to correct this issue.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Speed related wobbles are tire and wheel based. Rotate the wheels around and see what difference happens.
x2

I just went through a similar situation as OP. Mine developed a wobble at 50mph and was gone at 60mph. I assumed my ball joints were shot. I also noticed a front drivers side inner seal leak on my last rotation. Bought my Synergy's before I noticed the seal leak.

Took mine in to have the seals replaced under extended warranty. Got to talk directly with the mechanic who was going to do the work. We looked at and talked about the leak - he said he would replace both while in there. Talked about the wobble and he said he felt he find out it was a balance issue with one of the wheels more than a ball joint problem.

Stopped back in the next day to pick it up - they were just finishing the test drive. He told me the ball joints were still good - no need to replace now. Told me he found one tire way out of balance and took care of it. Said they looked at all 5 knowing I include the spare in the rotation every 3000K miles.

The wobble is completely gone. My Synergy's are now in my tool cabinet for the day they're needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts