Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New here. I have a Jeep Wrangler JK and I started to get the death wobble last two month, the car has been lifted by 4Inches and had 20inch tyres fitted. For I’ve owned to car for 12 month now and it was fine for the first 10 month until the last two month. The trackbar is the mopar standard. I’ve looked at the car and noticed the coil spring and stabiliser link are not straight like the other side. Does that mean my axle is not straight ? Or is something else wrong? I bought front and rear adjustable trackbars but yet to get fitted. I’ve attached two pitctures, drive and passenger side for you to compare, Any help will be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
After checking everything, i noticed I would get it if I touched the brakes, i replaced the front rotors, and it doen't wobble any more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi. New here. I have a Jeep Wrangler JK and I started to get the death wobble last two month, the car has been lifted by 4Inches and had 20inch tyres fitted. For I’ve owned to car for 12 month now and it was fine for the first 10 month until the last two month. The trackbar is the mopar standard. I’ve looked at the car and noticed the coil spring and stabiliser link are not straight like the other side. Does that mean my axle is not straight ? Or is something else wrong? I bought front and rear adjustable trackbars but yet to get fitted. I’ve attached two pitctures, drive and passenger side for you to compare, Any help will be great. Thanks
I don’t know if this will help you at all but here is what I can offer on the “death wobble” Ive only have my jk a little over a month and thankfully it hasn’t had THAT issue yet. But...I also have a 2000 grand Cherokee that I’ve had for years and it did get the wobble last year. It was so bad I but a zip tie on my steering wheel to remind me to be ready for it at any moment. Long story short turned out my track bar bushing was loose. It was right under the oil filter and I think it getting oily at every oil change ruined it. I have heard others find other causes. I think basically anything loose in the front end can cause it. I can tell you a few things to check...take a floor jack and jack up each front wheel under the control arm.ake sure the steering wheel is unlocked. Wiggle wheel left to right and up and down. Feel for any play. Then while you have it up take a pry bar under the wheel and pry up a little bit. Have someone watch the ball joints while doing this to see if they are loose. I’ve found the easiest way to check the track bar is just sitting on the ground kind turning the steering wheel back and forth about 20 degrees while someone watches all your bushings underneigh. I do a lot of front end work at my work and this is kinda my process to check one out before aligning it

·
Registered
95 Posts
By the way judging from your pictures nothing jumps out at me. The sway car can look off one side to the other sometimes if it isn’t on perfectly level ground or the sway bar frame bushings could have let it shift a tiny bit. I would focus on checking all the bushings, ball joints, and tie rods. Hope you find your issue. Be careful driving u til you do. I know what your going through

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bet that the rotors were just the start of the problem. They started the wobble but because you have other stuff worn out you still may get it again. Check your ball joints. That was my problem. However, it could also be your draglink, trackbar, and or tie rod ends.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
mamsicles - the reason you have a wobble is you keep calling your Jeep a "car" and it's upset with you.

Just poking fun at you. Part of your issue with the stabilizer link is the fact that when the Jeep is raised you change the triangle relationship. When you raise a vehicle higher over the axle but do not change the track bar length, the axle will then move. On a left hand drive vehicle, the front axle will be shifted to the left (RH drive is just the opposite) as the track bar is attached to the frame on the drivers side and the axle on the passenger side. Few lift kits include an adjustable track bar which is needed to correct this. However, this is NOT the cause of any wobble, it's more of an appearance thing with the front driver side wheel sticking out a bit and the rear passenger side wheel sticking out a bit (the front and rear track bars are attached to opposite sides of the frame.

What you need to determine if it is in fact DW or just plain old shimmy/wobble. If you encounter the shimmy at a definite speed and it stops at a definite speed (say 55 mph to 65 mph which is the most common) that is from the wheel/tire balance.

If you have wobble that is not speed sensitive but there all of the time it is still not DW. It is again a wheel/tire issue but not balance, but out of round. This can be caused by a tire imperfection at manufacture or a bent wheel. If it's a tire being out of round, you will notice it immediately after mounting the tires. I encountered this on a set of larger tires put on a pickup. I had the wobble immediately and it was there at all speeds. I could look in the rear view mirror and see the right side of the tailgate going up and down. I called back to the tire shop and they ordered a new tire which was mounted two days later.

DW is an unforgettable experience. You feel as if the Jeep is coming apart. You not only have the wobble but the sound. The most common issue that causes this is a track bar attachment that is not as tight as it needs to be. Sometimes torquing the track bar to specs is enough. However, it can also be caused by loose tie rod end if the ball joint at one or both ends are badly worn. Worn ball joints can also be a culprit. Here is an excellent primer on shimmies, wobbles and DW.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

Please take the time to read through this and definitely watch both linked YouTube videos. There is once clip of a JK experiencing DW and you will see and hear the effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts